Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coming out of air breather after a fast auto-x?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Oil coming out of air breather after a fast auto-x?

I did a rather fast auto cross a couple of weeks ago in Mineral Wells Tx. and when I put car on trailer oil was coming out of breather,(not a lot, just a drip drip kinda thing) after looking at it, it was coming out of mass air flow? what gives? I was holding the RPM up a little higher than normal for the situation (7,000rpm) i have a 02 Z-06 motor with healthy cam in 97 coupe. Please help as I'm running track day this weekend. Motor sounds normal, little loss of oil of course, but not much. pretty good size puddle on trailer.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:48 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High revs, the reccomended oil overfill, and high cornering loads will send oil out of the pcv system. Most of it gets sent back through the intake system (in two spots one at the TB, and one just behind the TB on the intake manifold) , or puddles up and leaks out. Just top off your oil level before the next event.

You can send it to a catch can only, or a catch can routed back to the intake. Lots of threads on those.

To give you an idea, I have almost filled up a 1qt catch can doing a lot of skidpad testing. Lucky the car has an accusump.

Quick Reply: Oil coming out of air breather after a fast auto-x?