Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5pt harness install

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Default 5pt harness install

I've read horror story after horror story here and C5 tech about not having the lap and sub belts installed correctly.

The inboard lap belt obviously goes on the seat belt bolt, but what about the outboard side? I see a hinge bolt on the seat, is that it? Or drill a hole in the side of the frame and put a bolt through there? How would you get on the back side to put a nut on it? What about the sub belt? Drill a hole in the floor and use large washers to distribute the load? Hope I'm asking the right questions as I really would like to get this right the first time and finish up with the minimum number of extra holes in my car.

BTW, C5 sport seats if it makes a difference.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, pick up the Brey-Krause seat belt adapter kit. It does 2 seats. The inside adapter attaches to the seat belt bolt on the seat. The outside attaches to the lower seat belt mount at the base of the door frame. Both of those attachment points are capable of withstanding the forces involved with a sudden stop. Do not drill holes in the seat brackets as they may not be strong enough to hold. And don't use any old bolt. You need hardened hardware to mount those things or you run the risk of catastrophic failure in the event of a crash.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Got any pics of the outboard side mount?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

here is my writeup regarding a 6point setup with the BK mounts and Bar.

bob

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ar&forum_id=23
Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I was afraid I was going to have to remove that vertical piece of trim again. : I've already had to buy 1 new one this week. Very hard to reinstall with a rollbar right up against it. Great write-up and thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
I was afraid I was going to have to remove that vertical piece of trim again. : I've already had to buy 1 new one this week. Very hard to reinstall with a rollbar right up against it. Great write-up and thanks!

yeah that is the worse part. I cracked mine a small bit where the seatbelt goes in it. Luckily it filled in nicely....

Old 06-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

What about the sub-belt?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
What about the sub-belt?

both the lap-belt and sub-belt attach to the BK sub brackets. There are 2 slots. The difference is that you sit on the sub-belt and it comes up between your legs.

Of course this only works for a 6point harness. For a 5 point I was told it has to come from behind the seat to be effective. I am not sure what you secure it to behind the seat.

Get notified of new replies

To 5pt harness install

Quick Reply: 5pt harness install