Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed GT Practice

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 02:09 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speed GT Practice

First Practice Session

1. Archer: Viper, 1:19.75

2. McCann: Viper/Mustang ?, -.25 sec.

3. O'Connell: Caddy, -.50 sec.

4. Pilgrim - Caddy, -.68 sec.

5. Imery: P-Car, -.86 sec

9. LG: vette, -1.30 sec. (highest vette)

Lap Notes states McCann is running a Mustang GT, entry list indicates his usual Viper
Old 06-23-2006, 02:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

http://www.world-challenge.com/event...lts.php?ID=245

SPEED GT Overview

Ask Lou Gigliotti how he feels about a recent adjustment to his, and the other, Chevrolet Corvette C6s and be prepared to pull up a seat as he’d have plenty to say and none of it would be with a smile. However, the three-time Champion and defending race winner must still be considered a favorite coming into the weekend. His LG Pro Long Tube Headers Corvette has led more laps and scored more qualifying points than any other car this year. In fact, despite a DNF at the opening round in Sebring, his bonus points from qualifying and laps led still have him second in points—just two back from leader Lawson Aschenbach.
This weekend’s events will air July 8 on a tape-delayed basis on SPEED.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:48 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking at the lap times, I assume that they are running the NASCAR layout?

Larry
Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Yes, they are running the shorter course
Old 06-23-2006, 06:22 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

2nd Practice Session:

1. McCann Viper, 1:19.438

2. Archer Viper, -.085

3. Sofranos P-car, -.116

4. Imery P-Car, -.312

5. O'Connell Caddy, -.345

8. LG Vette, -.862 (highest vette)
Old 06-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

This weekend’s events will air July 8 on a tape-delayed basis on SPEED.

That really pisses me off.... Why don't they show it this weekend?

Too busy airing quality programs like Sports Car Revolution, Dream Car Garage, or Car Crazy........
Old 06-23-2006, 08:07 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Maineiac
That really pisses me off.... Why don't they show it this weekend?

Too busy airing quality programs like Sports Car Revolution, Dream Car Garage, or Car Crazy........
I like those shows. Well.. Not Car Crazy. Speed needs to cut some of the NASCRAP or dump Pinks. I can't believe that Pinks got renewed. They renew a show like that and dump shows like 2 Wheel Tuesday. As a bike enthusiast, I liked that show. That's the only bike show that I liked on Speed.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I like those shows. Well.. Not Car Crazy. Speed needs to cut some of the NASCRAP or dump Pinks. I can't believe that Pinks got renewed. They renew a show like that and dump shows like 2 Wheel Tuesday.
Apparantly Pinks is one of Speed's highest rated shows; Despain had the Pinks host on Wind Tunnel
Old 06-24-2006, 11:19 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joemoia
Apparantly Pinks is one of Speed's highest rated shows; Despain had the Pinks host on Wind Tunnel

just read by far the highest rated show is PINKS
Old 06-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Crash99
Racer

I was at Infineon yesterday and had a chance to watch Speed GT practice and to talk to Johnny O. We got to talk a good long time, just him, my stepdaughter and me, nobody bothered us. It was really cool of him to do that. He seemed like he really wanted to talk with his fans but alas, the Speed cars were out so far in the back 40 that it was tough to find them and since it was so hot (near 100) nobody was willing to walk there.

Just a vent here but what a difference between World GT/ALMS access and Nextel. I understand the reasons for keeping the fans away from the drivers in NASCAR but it was hands down the most boring racing event I have ever been to. Sure it was just practice but there was no interaction with the drivers. Fridays at ALMS events are a blast because you can talk to the drivers, the crews, and walk throught the pits with open arms. The NASCAR paddock area had more security than a checkpoint in downtown Baghdad.

Talking to Johnny was so refreshing. He noted that his car seemed low on horsepower compared to other cars and even asked MY OPINION on what I saw on the track!! He told me that he had just learned he was +350 pounds compared to the Porsches but then again, he was in the top 5 in both qualifying sessions. He also mentioned that he much prefers driving at Infineon than at Laguna and really is saddened by the loss of the ALMS race here. He said he looks forward to racing at Miller but has yet to drive on the track. He looks forward to racing the Astons the rest of the season and feels that the AM's will win their share of races the rest of the season. I asked him how the Caddy compared to the cup car in speed and he thought it was about 8 seconds slower in lap times. I hadn't seen the Nascar times but it turned out about 2 seconds difference only. Not too shabby. He also said the C6.R would "absolutely annihilate" the Cup cars on the road course. There was a subtle hint in his voice that he feels left out from the "show." There was almost zero interest in World Challenge cars, in fact the schedule was changed at the last minute to race on Saturday rather than Sunday. The first practice session was cut from 45 minutes to 20 minutes and qualifying is now combined Touring/GT this am.

After signing a few items for us and posing for a picture with my stepdaughter Johnny invited us back "anytime." We stopped by the transporters later and he greeted us like old friends and we chatted again about the second practice session. He had to leave to go through inspection but said he'd be back soon "if we still wanted to talk." We unfortunately had to leave and said our goodbyes.

What a class act he is and I hope he wins today (sorry Lou!).

BTW, I won't ever go to a NAPCAR race again. Flame me all you want but never have I seen a more unhealthy crowd for a sporting event in my life. Half the crowd smoked (here in Sonoma county almost nobody smokes!) and the other half was drinking Bud/Miller Lites at 9:00 am. Nobody was watching the support series races, they were all milling around hoping to catch a glimpse of their favorite driver walking in the paddock.

Crash
Old 06-24-2006, 02:10 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I like those shows. Well.. Not Car Crazy. Speed needs to cut some of the NASCRAP or dump Pinks. I can't believe that Pinks got renewed. They renew a show like that and dump shows like 2 Wheel Tuesday. As a bike enthusiast, I liked that show. That's the only bike show that I liked on Speed.

Even the ones that are decent shouldn't force a two-week tape-delay showing of an actual race. IMHO.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TWT gone that sucks!
Old 06-24-2006, 06:16 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Great post's on the racing and thoughts on it. I agree with everyone's sentiments on the tape delay. Frankly, I'd watch the thing if it were live or even the next day. At this point, I'm relegated to watching on mediaCenter after I can get it recorded.

Glad to hear of the good exprnce with Johnny O' - the marketeer's for SCCA really suck. It can't be that hard to get an audience for road-racing; in fact when I mention to people I run HPDE's monthly their interest really peaks! (www.thedriversedge.net).

On a final note, I was up at LG's this week and we talked pretty candidly about the new restrictions. I have to admit, all the work I saw those guy's doing last winter only to have it strip'd away from them was very reckless on SCCA's part.

Lou and his Purdue Engineering graduate's work very very hard to get those car's to perform and then to be slap'd with restrictions because he won ONE race?

There are many variables when driving. I don't care how long Lou's been driving - he still makes mistakes - REALITY require's it. No matter how good we get, eventually causality catches up with the best of us.

Given he only WON by three-tenths of a second at Mid-Ohio; he would have P7, one ahead of the rook' Lawson. We'll see if the three-year old driver can hold it together on the track with Lou on his tail and Johnny O, Pilgrim and Archer ahead in his sight. Maybe hel'll check point on turn 3a watching and get loose! (being not hurt would be a good thing by the way).

I believe this is the track config as opposed to the AMA/IRL

JK
Old 06-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Crash99
Racer

Originally Posted by jkonkle
I believe this is the track config as opposed to the AMA/IRL

JK
You would be correct...

(There is another configuration that is used for ALMS/HPDE where turn 4 and 7 are used. Much more fun and challenging.)

Crash

Get notified of new replies

To Speed GT Practice

Quick Reply: Speed GT Practice