Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye USGP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Goodbye USGP?

London, UK – 6/23/2006 Ecclestone doesn't plan on making exceptions to keep F1 racing in the USA. (LAT Photo)

Formula 1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone cast a shadow over the future of the United States Grand Prix by stating to London's The Times newspaper that the sport does not necessarily need to have a round in American soil.

Next month's USGP at Indy is the final in the current contract between F1 and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and a possible renewal is still pending on the event's own success, following last year's six-cars-only debacle.

"It does not matter to Formula 1 if there is no Grand Prix in the U.S.," said Ecclestone. "What do we get from America? Aggravation, that's about all. If you say 'good morning' over there and it's five past 12, you end up with a lawsuit."

If Bernie's words could displease some of the big automakers involved in the sport, such as BMW and Mercedes, which count the U.S. as their largest market, Ecclestone insists that America's commercial importance is relative.

"We have never got any sponsors out there," he added. "The television has never taken off; we have more viewers in Malta than over there.

"Why do we need to worry so much about America? It has never really taken to open-wheel racing. They talk about the big audiences for NASCAR, but we get as many viewers in Italy alone as they do for NASCAR in the States."

While the sport's "supremo" didn't rule out a renewal of the contract with IMS, he made clear that F1 won't make sacrifices to keep racing in the USA.

"If [IMS] wants to continue having a round of the Formula 1 World Championship over there, I am happy to talk to them, which is what I will do when I get there. But I am not prepared to subsidize a race in America. I have a very good relationship with the people in Indianapolis, and I am sure talks will go well."
Old 06-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by John Shiels

"It does not matter to Formula 1 if there is no Grand Prix in the U.S.," said Ecclestone. "What do we get from America? Aggravation, that's about all. If you say 'good morning' over there and it's five past 12, you end up with a lawsuit."

Old 06-23-2006, 08:10 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankfully, Ecclestone is getting pretty old and hopefully the next person that takes over F1 isn't such a jerkoff.

He's 75 years old (nearly 76), so he can't be doing this much longer.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You would think that if there isn't a following in America then they might want to go after that market. You would think a businessman like Berny would understand that the U.S. should be an opportunity to grow the sport. It's stupid statements like that which will keep F1 under most Americans radar!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

More Importantly, America Doesn't need, and apparently isn't as interested in F1, according to the lack of fan base... All it takes it a look at the numbers...

Mike
Old 06-23-2006, 08:53 PM
indy300
Drifting

What a douche bag I would love to keep the USGP in Indy. It brings my area a lot of $$$$$ But I won't cry if it leaves. I think it would make the other two races and the track itself more exclusive.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:40 PM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by indy300
What a douche bag I would love to keep the USGP in Indy. It brings my area a lot of $$$$$ But I won't cry if it leaves. I think it would make the other two races and the track itself more exclusive.
Please don't insult douche bags by comparing them to such an Alpha Hotel. Douche bags have a positive purpose, Bernie does not. I have been offered free USGP tix and I can't be bothered, they had what, 8 cars that ran????? Tony George and Bernie, what a combo! Yea, that Tony guy really helped open wheel racing in this country didn't he!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:19 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I say run it where it should be, Road America!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:47 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
I say run it where it should be, Road America!
I wish! Unfortunately, F1 only goes where the money is these days. Plus, Road America would have to do a lot of work to convert the track over to accommodate F1, such as build garages where the paddock is now.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Bernie is living proof as to what my old man often said, there are more horses rear ends than there are horses....

He is just bringing out his bargining chips, remember he is nothing but a low life ex-car dealer.... He wants to bloodsuck the last few dimes out of poor Tony George. I am pretty sure that Tony will have had enough of Bernie when this is all over... Bernie personally doesn't need a USGP, but honestly, this coming from a long term (like over 40 years) F1 fan, his show is BORING... The reason that is popular in europe is that they has nothing else. We have other racing, in various forms, and it is all a better show than F1... He has personally screwed up the sport so badly that there is nothing left.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least give Bernie some credit, he did have a valid point about getting sued. I am sure that part is true.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wasn't the city of Las Vagus interested in hosting the USGP??

That way there is gambeling and all the extra activities that "stay in Vages" for Bernies rich buddies from the Kingdoms.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:42 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Wasn't the city of Las Vagus interested in hosting the USGP??

That way there is gambeling and all the extra activities that "stay in Vages" for Bernies rich buddies from the Kingdoms.
Formula 1's.... been there/done that... without a lot of success. A few year's ago F-1 put on the " SHOW " in Ceaser Palace's parking lot.

Then Cagey ole Bernie moved to Phoenix for a couple of year's... then on to other cities. He's like an old time Gypsy... running his " SCAM " from town to town !!!

As I recall...after last year's FIAsico at Indy...

Brunton Smith offered his Las Vegas track for a single...
F-1 race, to that little weasel...

on a " contingency basis "... ie: if the track makes MONEY... F-1 gets a share.

Bernie refused !!!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:50 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Awe crap. Don't take him seriously. He's just spouting BS to set the stage for negotiations. They need North America. Where can they grow elsewhere? If they'd quit stepping on their dummy in the US they'd enjoy their potential here. My 2 cents.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by trumper Z06

Brunton Smith offered his Las Vegas track for a single...
F-1 race, to that little weasel...

on a " contingency basis "... ie: if the track makes MONEY... F-1 gets a share.

Bernie refused !!!
King Bernie doesn't work that why. Bernie gets his Majority SHARE UP FRONT, then if the track makes money so be it. Plus the track must be built to FIA Level 1 Circuit standareds. Currently only the Indy road coruse is FIA 1 level. The Miller Motorsports Complex is FIA 2 level circuit. any other venue in the US would have to do major money updates before King Burnie will even look at them.

F1 Managment i.e. Burnie has so many offeres from other venies , Shanghi China, Moscow, South Africa that why does he need the US or Canada ??
Old 06-25-2006, 08:08 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

King Bernie doesn't work that why. Bernie gets his Majority SHARE UP FRONT, then if the track makes money so be it. Plus the track must be built to FIA Level 1 Circuit standareds. Currently only the Indy road coruse is FIA 1 level. The Miller Motorsports Complex is FIA 2 level circuit. any other venue in the US would have to do major money updates before King Burnie will even look at them.

F1 Managment i.e. Burnie has so many offeres from other venies , Shanghi China, Moscow, South Africa that why does he need the US or Canada ??
Hhmmmm... Tom, I didn't say he did !!!

What I did say was... That Brunton Smith wasn't about to OFFER that weasel ~ $$$ 20 Million $$$ to move to Vegas and use Smith's race track !!!

Until next weekend.... NO ONE...

knows what the fans reaction is going to be to last year's FIAsico at Indy.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodbye USGP?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

$20 million is nothing to FIA 1 Managment. Shanghi China offer was well over $100 million.

Oh well Out of my league that for sure.

Would I pay $100-$250 to go watch a F1 race in person ??? NOT. Speed TV for me.

Then again our friend from VIR, Lee B. Head Pit out man, does track work for the Ferrari Challange League. He got two pitt passes and the VIP treatment this weekend at Canada's F1 race.

Which Pit ?? Ferrari of course. Luck Man.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:36 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

form the article

If Bernie's words could displease some of the big automakers involved in the sport, such as BMW and Mercedes, which count the U.S. as their largest market, Ecclestone insists that America's commercial importance is relative.

I think they all race to sell cars and the US is the biggest market to sell for many of them.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John Shiels

I think they all race to sell cars and the US is the biggest market to sell for many of them.
Bernie may have to bend a bit. That is Good.

Quick Reply: Goodbye USGP?