Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefits of Heim Jointed Rear Trailing Arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Benefits of Heim Jointed Rear Trailing Arms

Are these worth it on a C4? Does the beefier design and the heim jointed ends add much. I already have poly bushings. What adjustability, if any do these provide? Furthormore, is the function of the trailing arms solely to provide a calibrated amount of anti squat?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:14 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Are these worth it on a C4? Does the beefier design and the heim jointed ends add much. I already have poly bushings. What adjustability, if any do these provide? Furthormore, is the function of the trailing arms solely to provide a calibrated amount of anti squat?
Here is a link to another thread with a similar discussion: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1392768

My guess is they are worth it, more from an ease of use standpoint for setting and KEEPING a rear camber setting. It will eliminate the stock cam bolt and nut setup that is notorious for coming loose (ask me how I know). A well constructed unit should be at least as strong as the stock link.

I don't know the answer to the anti-squat question. Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:50 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

It limits the deflection so under load the alignment stays at where you want it. This will allow you to run less static toe and camber. It will be noisier on the street though.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:56 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

The poly bushings are a poor design for the trailing rods as they need to rotate in two directions. The poly bushings dont allow for this. The heim jointed trailing bars are very beneficial for track use. They can be adjusted to change anti-squat, but its much easier to adjust the cars handling with springs, shocks and bars for road racing use. They dont do anything for camber. You would need jointed camber rods for that.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:36 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a set on my 96 and it really seems to keep the back end planted better. Actually all of my rear suspension is heim joints, the big pain in the *** is pulling everything off once a year and cleaning it, since the grease fittings don't fully lube the joints. But I have access to a lift so it's not that bad.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

My heim joints arent fitted with a grease fitting. I dont lube them either. They are basically maintenance free.
I dont hear any noise from my jointed ends, but I do have a fairly loud exhaust. I got my trailing rods to make noise once, but only by rocking the car to see if they would. Not under normal driving conditions.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the main benefit is that it allows a degree of freedom under lateral load, which the poly bushings are unable to do. It also allows less deflection under longitudinal forces, though this deflection does not affect either camber or toe. The adjustment of anti-squat is possible, but needs to be calculated(engineered) and precisely implemented to be of any meaningful value. Does this sound right so far?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:00 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

So the main benefit is that it allows a degree of freedom under lateral load, which the poly bushings are unable to do. It also allows less deflection under longitudinal forces, though this deflection does not affect either camber or toe. The adjustment of anti-squat is possible, but needs to be calculated(engineered) and precisely implemented to be of any meaningful value. Does this sound right so far?
Yes, but I would say they alllow freedom to rotate slightly during suspension travel.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:30 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

True. When I mentioned camber I was assuming the camber rods would be done as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Benefits of Heim Jointed Rear Trailing Arms

Quick Reply: Benefits of Heim Jointed Rear Trailing Arms