Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Pilot Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 07:40 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 Pilot Bushing

What tool do you guys use to remove and install a pilot bushing in the C5? The manual shows a slidehammer to remove and a GM part number "tool" to install.

My slide hammer does not have a fitting that small and I use to use a socket to seat a new one....

Also, since I am down for the count for a few more weeks, I plan to install a new timing chain and valvesprings (120,000 mile LS1 in my 99 FRC) when I put in the new Dewitt radiator (thanks Cass!). Any recommendations on brands and sources.

thanks,

jeff
Old 07-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Teddy98Z28M6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
What tool do you guys use to remove and install a pilot bushing in the C5? The manual shows a slidehammer to remove and a GM part number "tool" to install.

My slide hammer does not have a fitting that small and I use to use a socket to seat a new one....

Also, since I am down for the count for a few more weeks, I plan to install a new timing chain and valvesprings (120,000 mile LS1 in my 99 FRC) when I put in the new Dewitt radiator (thanks Cass!). Any recommendations on brands and sources.

thanks,

jeff
Rent a blind hole puller from Autozone (OEM part 27128) to get it out. I have always just used a socket and hammer to seat the new one.

Last edited by Teddy98Z28M6; 07-02-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:03 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Teddy98Z28M6
Rent a blind hole puller from Autozone (OEM part 27128) to get it out. I have always just used a socket and hammer to seat the new one.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:28 AM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Not sure if it is a pilot bushing (solid) or bearing but I just did my L98 and used the hydraulic method to remove the bushing. I also happen to have a lathe so I turned an aluminum rod to the same size as the inside of the pilot bushing, stuffed it full of grease, and applied a few wacks with the hammer. Restuff with grease a couple of times and it pops right out.

Ryan
Old 07-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Teddy98Z28M6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Jeff means the pilot bearing. I have replaced it a couple of times on my LS1 Z28. I hear people have used the grease packing way, but I hear it could also damage things.

Jeff,

In the picture I'm using the Pilot Bearing Puller Attachment OEM#27059 with the Slide Hammer OEM#27033 from Autozone, which also works on getting it out. I hear the blind hole puller is better. The Pilot Bearing Puller Attachment is actually a little too big for the pilot bearing hole, but you can hammer it on seperately. Then attach the slide hammer and tighten until the 2 claws open to a firm grip. A few hard pulls on the slide hammer, and it should come out.

Last edited by Teddy98Z28M6; 07-02-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by reidry
Not sure if it is a pilot bushing (solid) or bearing but I just did my L98 and used the hydraulic method to remove the bushing. I also happen to have a lathe so I turned an aluminum rod to the same size as the inside of the pilot bushing, stuffed it full of grease, and applied a few wacks with the hammer. Restuff with grease a couple of times and it pops right out.

Ryan
That is the way I used to do it on my Big Block chevy - the shop manual tells you NOT to do it that way on the LS1/6 - they say it can damage the crank I guess....

jeff
Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 AM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reidry

Ryan
DO NOT use the hydraulic method. The LS1 has a plug in the back of the crank yo will push it in
Old 07-07-2006, 06:04 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Blind hole puller worked like a charm!

New bushing, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch and clutch master cylinder are in - just waiting on the ball joint boots I tore and a new ZO6 shifter base to replace the shot LS1 I currently have and this bad boy gets reassembled some more

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Pilot Bushing

Quick Reply: C5 Pilot Bushing