Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE at Putnam Park yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:52 AM
CoolBlueC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE at Putnam Park yesterday.

WOW!! What a blast this car is!! This was my first track day in this car. We will be returning August 5th for a lapping day.

Anyway, it was a 111 sponsored HPDE. Weather was HOT and HUMID, but no rain. I went with a couple friends with a Spec Miata and an 89
M3. The M3 blew a rod bearring I trailered, so we got him home OK.

There was another C6 and a C5, but I didn't get a chance to talk with them. Hopefully they are forum members and can chime in. If so, sorry I didn't get over to say hello.

The C6 was in my group and we ran together. He was either a little better driver or had a better set-up. On the turns, he was faster and on the straits, I was faster. I was happy with my motor performance. On the front stretch, I was in front and pointed for him to pass. I slowed up a little, and he took off, but I caught him easily befor he had to brake. Not sure on his engine set-up though. Once we hit the turns, where the driver takes over, he started to pull away. Granted, this was my first time in this car, but it shows that there is ALWAYS room to improve. Top speed on the strait was 128mph. I'm told that 128 is very good on this track. Strait is a 1/4 mile with 300-200-100 ft braking markers. Didn't even get 1 wheel off track. That probably means that I wasn't driving agressive enough and/or the car was very solid handling.

Can't wait to get racing rubber. The PS2s performed very well for street tires, but there is a big difference in grip. From an oil standpoint, I hit 279 degrees. Coolant did not pass 207. These numbers seemed very acceptable with 92 degree temps and my non Z51 car. I used Royal Purple's Purple Ice (similar to Water Wetter). I also used an Octane Booster for a little more insurance.

I am really glad I powder coated my brakes Brakes performed well, but I melted the coating in a couple areas and pitted the heck out of them

The 111 guys ran a fairly smooth event, but it was a little rigid. None the less, I would go to one of their events again.

Sorry for the rambling, but hopfully this is some information helpful to someone.

Happy Fourth of July
Old 07-05-2006, 12:16 PM
indy300
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a blast at my first HDPE at Putnam a month ago! There are more chances to run there throughout the summer. Vipers will be there later this season I believe. That would be fun to run with them! Does anyone else intend to go to Putnam Park this year?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
CoolBlueC6
Racer

Originally Posted by indy300
I had a blast at my first HDPE at Putnam a month ago! There are more chances to run there throughout the summer. Vipers will be there later this season I believe. That would be fun to run with them! Does anyone else intend to go to Putnam Park this year?
Hey Inndy, your Navy Blue Metallic looks awesome. Without seeing that color next to Lemans Blue, I thought they were the same. That blue really shows off the C5 lines

I'v been looking at the schedule for Putnam and it would be sweet to check out some of those Vipers (in the rear view mirror) j/k...

Putnam is a great track to wring out our cars. It is very safe with little to run into. Turn 10 is about the only major danger with the guard rail. It did, however, take a while to clean my wheels.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:53 PM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

I plan on doing a couple of events out there this year. Specifically I'm looking at a PCA event Sept 1.

I'm pretty sure the other guys there were BQuickSilver in the C5 and BoilerRXc6 in the C6.

Last edited by tchapma1; 07-05-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:38 PM
indy300
Drifting

Originally Posted by tchapma1
I plan on doing a couple of events out there this year. Specifically I'm looking at a PCA event Sept 1.

I'm pretty sure the other guys there were BQuickSilver in the C5 and BoilerRXc6 in the C6.
That event has a good price but it for "experienced drivers" only...whatever that means It would be fun to drive with the guys you mentioned. They have some good equipment
Old 07-06-2006, 10:43 AM
BoilerRxC6
Pro

Originally Posted by CoolBlueC6
WOW!!
The C6 was in my group and we ran together. He was either a little better driver or had a better set-up. On the turns, he was faster and on the straits, I was faster.

Really? Not to sound like an ***, but I damn near lapped you and I'm pretty sure it was no contest on the straights either. I rode your butt all through the turns and when you finally let me pass on the 10-1 I never saw you again, period. Funny how nearly each session I ended up right behind you then quickly right past you. You should be careful not to embellish your stories so much on here considering most guys who track will definitely discovery the fallacy. I think Brody even has some video of it if you'd like me to post you being "faster in the straights" or any part of the track for that matter

Not sure what your set-up is either, but you appeared to be pretty much stock with stock rotors, pads, and tires. Again, not to make it into a pissing contest and say my car and my driving are awesome because they're not. Brody was doing laps around me in his C5, but in all fairness he's set-up nearly identical to me: 440rwhp, complete brake set-up w/ PFC '01 pads, and good rubber. It comes down to the fact that he is simply a better driver than me. But if you think your stock C6 is truly faster on the straights than a 440 rwhp car, please explain to me the logic in that. If anything you should have said you were waxing me on the twisties, it would have made a much more believable story, since it was my first roadcourse.

This stuff cracks me up. I guess I'm just not the person to come home and post up BS about how I performed on the track. But make it clear, I will gladly defend my performance, especially when it is challenged with such lies.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
indy300
Drifting

Originally Posted by BoilerRxC6
Really? Not to sound like an ***, but I damn near lapped you and I'm pretty sure it was no contest on the straights either. I rode your butt all through the turns and when you finally let me pass on the 10-1 I never saw you again, period. Funny how nearly each session I ended up right behind you then quickly right past you. You should be careful not to embellish your stories so much on here considering most guys who track will definitely discovery the fallacy. I think Brody even has some video of it if you'd like me to post you being "faster in the straights" or any part of the track for that matter

Not sure what your set-up is either, but you appeared to be pretty much stock with stock rotors, pads, and tires. Again, not to make it into a pissing contest and say my car and my driving are awesome because they're not. Brody was doing laps around me in his C5, but in all fairness he's set-up nearly identical to me: 440rwhp, complete brake set-up w/ PFC '01 pads, and good rubber. It comes down to the fact that he is simply a better driver than me. But if you think your stock C6 is truly faster on the straights than a 440 rwhp car, please explain to me the logic in that. If anything you should have said you were waxing me on the twisties, it would have made a much more believable story, since it was my first roadcourse.

This stuff cracks me up. I guess I'm just not the person to come home and post up BS about how I performed on the track. But make it clear, I will gladly defend my performance, especially when it is challenged with such lies.
"Lets go to the replay" I want to see the video . I hope you guys are confused who each are because there seems to be some descrepencies in actual events.

Speaking of BS stories: If I was there, I would have smoked all of you! . Although, I was able to pass some C6's during the NCM HPDE. For an ego boost, I was hoping to pass a C6 Z06 with a bad driver, but that never came close to happening. Those things are
Old 07-06-2006, 01:37 PM
CoolBlueC6
Racer

Originally Posted by BoilerRxC6

This is hilarious First of all, I complimented you on being a better driver or having a better set up. Second, when I pointed you by on 10, I slowed to a crawl and caught you towards the end before you braked. Now, It's possible that you didn't get in it all the way down that stretch, but I don't know. I am only running a measley 385rwhp on street tires, so I doubt you were using all your power, otherwise grip might of been a problem. I know I was hitting 128 at the end of the strait. Out of curiousity, do you know what you were hitting?

I also said you were faster than me in the turns. You in fact were. I make no bones about it. This too was my first road course, so not sure where you are going with that. Every lap I took, I could point out numerous mistakes I made that slowed me down. As far lapping me, the only time that could have remotely happened is if I slowed for a cool down lap or stopped in the pit lane to let a passenger out. My wife couldn't handle more than a couple laps. I left the track earlier than session end because I limited my oil temps to 280. Faster than me, yes. Lapping me, not a chance. Geez, one of the guys I was with in a SPEC Miata was passing 911s, and other cars with much more power...So what? He has years of experience and races wheel to wheel.

I too am competitve by nature, but why post and start $hit? It amazes me that someone I compliment trys to call me out. You may want to re-read my original post...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
CoolBlueC6
Racer

BoilerRXC6, you asked for an explanation about the stretch. Just read your mods. The 4.10s plus the fact that I am not stock is why I caught you on the strait. No doubt your car is flat out fast. Different set-ups create different results... BTW, if I was going to talk ****, do you really think that it would be HERE? I showed some humilty in my first post. Honestly, I am too old to get into these "pissing matches" Hopefully, I will see you up there again and put the bull$hit aside...

Last edited by CoolBlueC6; 07-06-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:35 PM
indy300
Drifting

Originally Posted by CoolBlueC6
This is hilarious First of all, I complimented you on being a better driver or having a better set up. Second, when I pointed you by on 10, I slowed to a crawl and caught you towards the end before you braked. Now, It's possible that you didn't get in it all the way down that stretch, but I don't know. I am only running a measley 385rwhp on street tires, so I doubt you were using all your power, otherwise grip might of been a problem. I know I was hitting 128 at the end of the strait. Out of curiousity, do you know what you were hitting?

I also said you were faster than me in the turns. You in fact were. I make no bones about it. This too was my first road course, so not sure where you are going with that. Every lap I took, I could point out numerous mistakes I made that slowed me down. As far lapping me, the only time that could have remotely happened is if I slowed for a cool down lap or stopped in the pit lane to let a passenger out. My wife couldn't handle more than a couple laps. I left the track earlier than session end because I limited my oil temps to 280. Faster than me, yes. Lapping me, not a chance. Geez, one of the guys I was with in a SPEC Miata was passing 911s, and other cars with much more power...So what? He has years of experience and races wheel to wheel.

I too am competitve by nature, but why post and start $hit? It amazes me that someone I compliment trys to call me out. You may want to re-read my original post...
I didn't think you were gloating...just telling fun tid-bits of a fun day. 128mph on the stretch is MOVING for a C5. I was only hitting 115-ish before I started braking. I was an early braker at the end of the stretch...couldn't get the downshift thing down. I locked up the rear tires TWICE trying to do that. YIKES!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Boiler,

Sheesh, ease up on the caffeine! CoolBlue was giving you a compliment, for cryin' out loud.

Indy300,

Speaking of BS stories: If I was there, I would have smoked all of you!
Considering your vocation, this caused a bit of a smile this afternoon (as I work through my mound of emails )

CBC6,

Glad you had a great time. I'm mainly an autox guy, but our Corvette club is going out for a DE at Motorsports Ranch this Saturday.

Y'all have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

Don't know what happened as I wasn't there, how about we drop the bickering and just say everyone had fun.

BTW - Last year I was hitting 128-129 at the end of the front stretch in my stock 02 Z06. So it definitely is possible with a car with 385rwhp (mine was 352rwhp at the time). Sounds like you were a little more comfortable with the braking zones than he was which would be the reason for you catching up.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 PM
BoilerRxC6
Pro

Not starting **** at all, just pointing out that you were not faster than me period....not the curves, not the straights, nowhere. You started this by posting BS, not me. I don't care what kind of compliment you were trying to disguise in there. You may have been closer to me in the brake zone before T1 than what I thought, but by the time I got back to turn 1 again, you couldn't be found anywhere in my rearveiw mirror, not even a blip. The 4.10's only allow me to pull that much harder. I was only seeing 133-134 at the end, but do to inexperience and just being flat out scared I would lift and brake hard early for fear of going off.

I have no hard feelings nor did I want to call you out. All who know me, know that I'm about as humble and laid back as they come, I guess it just rubbed me wrong when I read it. Sorry. Maybe I'm just taking out my anger on you because LPE didn't put the A/C belt back on my car and I have no air. Who knows. I had a blast as well for my first track day and will continue to improve the car and my driving so I can drive more competively in the future.

Last edited by BoilerRxC6; 07-06-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 PM
CoolBlueC6
Racer

Originally Posted by indy300
I didn't think you were gloating...just telling fun tid-bits of a fun day. 128mph on the stretch is MOVING for a C5. I was only hitting 115-ish before I started braking. I was an early braker at the end of the stretch...couldn't get the downshift thing down. I locked up the rear tires TWICE trying to do that. YIKES!
Thanks Indy...I am actually in a C6. Nonetheless, #1 comes on fast, BoilerRX will agree on that. Yea, hitting third a little too soon will lock em up a little. I too know that by experience Once in the throttle and carry some speed, that turn can be taken quickly. My problem was that I was entering too soon and it slowed me down toward the outside cone. It just kills me when I know exactly what I am doing wrong and can't pull together a good lap.

Even though it was an HPDE, I didn't get an instructor the entire time. One of my (more experienced) buddies did ride with me a little and help me recognize some mistakes.

I loaned my camcorder to the same friend that road with me for his mount. Unfortunately, he threw a rod bearing, so he wasn't able to film from his car. He did get some recording of me. Now, the challenge is trying to post some video. It is High Definition, so I'm sure it will have to be down converted so that the file size isn't 300mb+. If anyone knows or has any tips it is appreciated...

Last edited by CoolBlueC6; 07-06-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:54 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Guess I should chime in since I was the other vette there (silver C5 in the other group). Matt I don't think coolblue is starting trouble. You were probably braking earlier than him since you were lifting at point the straight went back uphill, which was very early.

Putnam is a fun track that really does a good job helping you feel out a car's handling. I was seeing 138mph before braking between the 300-200 markers, but an obviously spongy pedal slowly pushed me back as the day went on since I had a student and no time to bleed the brakes.

Coolblue, I wish we could have met, and I'm sure this is just a silly misunderstanding between Matt and you. We all dominated the Lotus guys.

I've got lots on in-car footage if you're interested.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE at Putnam Park yesterday.

Quick Reply: HPDE at Putnam Park yesterday.