Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone At Nurburgring on Sunday (9 Jul)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:58 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone At Nurburgring on Sunday (9 Jul)?

I'm heading to Nurburgring for some laps this weekend, just wondered if I might run into any fellow forum members?

I will be driving a Silver Subaru () STI.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by No Go
I'm heading to Nurburgring for some laps this weekend, just wondered if I might run into any fellow forum members?

I'd love to, but it's a bit of a drive.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be about 30min. away at Bitburg with 1-on-1 Motorsports autoXing

http://www.1on1-motorsports.de/
Old 07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well your to far for my buds and I to try get there this weekend. However, our group is planning to ship our Corvettes to Europe next year and would like to get on Nurburgring for a lap. Is there a web site or info somewhere where we can get info? Chuck
Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk

Last edited by Lancer033; 07-07-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
well your to far for my buds and I to try get there this weekend. However, our group is planning to ship our Corvettes to Europe next year and would like to get on Nurburgring for a lap. Is there a web site or info somewhere where we can get info? Chuck
are you part of the C5 Registry? If not which group, any room for another person?

I was gonig to ship my car on my own but if I can get in with a group that would be more fun. Might ship the C5 over since I've driven the C4 on the autobahn already.

Last edited by Bluewasp; 07-07-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I'll be about 30min. away at Bitburg with 1-on-1 Motorsports autoXing

http://www.1on1-motorsports.de/
1on1 events are nice. bitburg airfield is an interesting place! I like how the drag strip goes up hill!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Still going to visit MOVIT while you are there? MOVIT his an 100km south of HD and about 2 to 2.5 hours from bitburg.

robert
Old 07-07-2006, 05:51 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Affirmative...Monday afternoon I've set a meeting up with Hussien. They have a C4 on site to view as well.

I just returned from Goodwood Festival of Speed...wow. That was the best motorsport event I've been to. Tomorrow head to Nurburgring...

Some vacation, eh?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:22 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
However, our group is planning to ship our Corvettes to Europe next year and would like to get on Nurburgring for a lap. Is there a web site or info somewhere where we can get info? Chuck
Only a lap... That's like having a night with Jessica Simpson and saying you'll only sleep with her once!!!

It would be great to have a Corvette trip out there... The ring is pure heaven and I haven't even been there... Gotta love this shot!

Last edited by clubracer6; 07-08-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Affirmative...Monday afternoon I've set a meeting up with Hussien. They have a C4 on site to view as well.

I just returned from Goodwood Festival of Speed...wow. That was the best motorsport event I've been to. Tomorrow head to Nurburgring...

Some vacation, eh?
Well there are TWO C4s on site. One is the MOVIT secret project car. Ask very nicely and they might let you see it. A lot of interesting things going on with that C4.

IM the prices Hussien quotes you.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
1on1 events are nice. bitburg airfield is an interesting place! I like how the drag strip goes up hill!

drag racing

head down to the AutoX side
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1440102
Old 07-12-2006, 05:04 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Well, our visit to the Nurburgring was a good one. Did 4 laps total and counted my blessings at no issues (either car related or traffic related!).

Beautiful weather made for a large turn out it seemed...we overflowed into the gravel lots. Nearly every car known to man was there for the full Sunday running...Gillardos, GT3RSR's, Radical, etc...even spied a single C5, but left before I tracked them down. The highlight I would say was the arrival of Porsche Carrera GT's...yes 3 of them. They even drove the clutches pretty good while looking for parking.

We even lucked out for a BMW M5 Ring Taxi ride-we were hoping for some extra seats, but took the whole car first thing in the morning with famed Sabine as the driver-the lady who was shot on Top Gear wheeling a Ford van around the ring in nearly 10 minutes. She was mighty impressive...V10 was howling with the car passing all in sight and never being approached from the rear. Glad to see that a full on race car driver is several deviations above me-as this was a level to aspire to. If I had the $, I would be driving one of those for the family car.

The ~400 mile trek was certainly worth it-ears popping on each lap due to altitude changes and covering over 12 miles each lap was a treat.

Images to follow...in a bit.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Sounds like you had a blast. That is ONE thing I really wish I had done, drive the Nurburgring. Maybe one day I'll be able to. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Did you visit movit? How did it go?

rob
Old 07-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Lancer033
drag racing

head down to the AutoX side
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1440102
Congrats! Do you know Dennis freed and his super gas nova? I used to work with him at usareur/5th sig.

rob
Old 07-18-2006, 04:39 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Ring parking lot...1 of them. A Radical is on the right...I know poor images-too much to take in.

Another lot...

Lousy shot, but the Carrera GTs are yellow left (obviously) and only one other black one you can see the tail end on the right.

Big smiles after the Taxi ride with 24 Hours of Lemans winner Sabine. That M5 is something else...nothing like hearing 8200 rpm shifts bang off with a 'flappy paddle' gear box in the lovely hands of Sabine.

Try to upload a few more later...hopefully better ones.

Also, I took a non scientific poll on brake systems...AP appeared to the most popular, but not my many...MOVIT, Brembo, Porsche (Brembo) systems all appeared quite common. Even the Zak Speed Viper was running a full MOVIT set up...course they had the MOVIT sponsor sticker on the side of the car...

MOVIT tour was good. Didn't meet Guido, but got the full gamut from Hussien. It is mighty tempting...have another few months to ponder...but holding that large 6 piston caliper in my hands makes me just buy it to put on my desk at work! They are to be featured on some mainstream cars shows (Pimp Your Ride-or something like that) in the near future. 500 MM rotors are in the works...not for a Corvette and certainly for some bling more than anything.

The 572 CU IN C4 was down for a new oil pan...I would imagine it works pretty good on the Autobahn...if a 2.5 liter Subaru can sustain 150 mph without much sweat...wow.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:24 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

So, what was it like to drive the 'ring?

Vicarious wanna-be's want to know!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:25 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Drive: It was beautiful.

Considering I did 4 laps in the seat...one doesn't get very comfortable about what is coming up next-very similar to One Lap of America style of driving. Course being 4 countries away from home in the wife's car kept the speeds in check...

I loved the altitude changes-really adds much thrill to the track...on the fourth lap, I could understand a bit about what was around the next corner-nothing like rounding the next bend thinking it is a tight one and realize it is a 5th gear stretch...and three motorcycles pass you...ha.

The biggest craziness is the traffic. We completed all but 1 lap in the morning when there were less 'other guys' in the way (more like I was in the way), but again the final lap put us in heavy traffic doing 100+ mph slicing and dicing with super bikes (with two riders each!), psuedo street cars, etc. Admittedly, German rules still apply (pass on the left) and everyone we encountered followed those well.

The kilometer markers were a hoot, but they make total sense...initial thinking was I'm nearly done with the lap...and then you pass click marker 12 (still ~5 miles to go!)

I will make every attempt to do it again next year-worth the drive and add another ring sticker to the car-wish it was my Corvette.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:39 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

I did this in a Renault Megane Turbo Diesel about 3 years ago. Did 2 laps and it was a blast. I'd love to do it again. Imagine this in the US

You can also go to this fan site for info. http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone At Nurburgring on Sunday (9 Jul)?

Quick Reply: Anyone At Nurburgring on Sunday (9 Jul)?