Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Prix (The Movie) finally available on DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:27 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand Prix (The Movie) finally available on DVD!

I'm so psyched about this! I was just going through the new dvd releases list and found out that they are finally releasing Grand Prix on dvd next Tuesday. I haven't seen it in a long time. The last time I saw it was years ago on VHS.

Amazon has it for a good price or you can rent it. I currently have it in my queue at Netflix.

Here's a link to Grand Prix at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Grand Prix and Le Mans are by far the best two racing films of all time. Some like Grand Prix better than Le Mans because it has more of a plot to it. The plot in Le Mans is the race.

It's really sad that we can't get any better movies than this after 35-40 years. Grand Prix was originally released in 1966 and Le Mans was released in 1971. I was hoping that Paul Newman or someone else in hollywood with a race background would green light something modern, yet realistic, but it hasn't happened.

I had really high hopes for the Stallone movie Driven centered around Champ Car Racing (CART at the time). I was at the Chicago Speedway when they filmed most of it (and passed a lot of the footage off as other venues). I was so disappointed when I finally saw it. Sappy story. Unbelievable crashes with unrealistic CGI. Just all around sad and laughable if you're a race fan. Funny thing is that when Stallone was making the movie, he was pretending to be this big race fan and hanging out at the races. I haven't seen him at a race since the movie was released. Maybe he's afraid to show his face after making that turd.

FWIW.. Here's a link for Le Mans at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good call, I feel like watching a more racing videos. Two other good newer ones are Dust to glory and World's fastest Indian. Not road race videos but still good racing.

Randy
PS Baja 1000
Salt flats
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice...I have LeMans and often watch it after the wife and kid go to bed.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I saw Grand Prix when it first hit the theatres. Luckily, I lived in a town where they had a Cinerama theatre and got to see it the way it was supposed to be seen. Back several years ago when Speed was still Speedvision and had better programming than it has now they broadcast Grand Prix (in letterbox) on the Lost Drive In series. During the commercial breaks they had James Garner and John Frankenheimer available to comment on the movie and how it was made. There were some excellent shots showing how they did the filming in the cars and how they did the crashes especially the one where Garner's car ends up in Monte Carlo's harbor. It turns out the only racer in the cast was Garner and he drove some of the sequences when they put the cars on track at various events. I had taped the whole thing but cannot find the tape now.

Bill
Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Drew M
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eh...im not that big on grand prix. to much plot, not enough racing.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:40 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by THawkbh
eh...im not that big on grand prix. to much plot, not enough racing.
That's why I prefer Le Mans, but it's still one of the best racing movies ever made.

Racing movies don't need a cheesy side plot and over-the-top, unrealistic CGI. I really wish someone like Paul Newman would step up to the plate and produce a racing movie that doesn't try and please everyone like Driven because you end up pleasing no one.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:42 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Originally Posted by xsiveone
That's why I prefer Le Mans, but it's still one of the best racing movies ever made.

Racing movies don't need a cheesy side plot and over-the-top, unrealistic CGI. I really wish someone like Paul Newman would step up to the plate and produce a racing movie that doesn't try and please everyone like Driven because you end up pleasing no one.
Hey, thanks for the tip , I just put GP in my queue. As for Lemans - Every car guy should have that in the library.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:19 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
Hey, thanks for the tip , I just put GP in my queue. As for Lemans - Every car guy should have that in the library.
Don't forget Bullitt! It's a great movie with way more than the car chase. That is, if you appreciate the old style of movie making with no special effects.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xsiveone
oh no doubt. i had seen le mans a good 15-20 times before i had ever seen grand prix and was a bit disappointed with the lack of racing action. not to mention the fact that its 3 hours long.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:37 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FELNGR8
Don't forget Bullitt! It's a great movie with way more than the car chase. That is, if you appreciate the old style of movie making with no special effects.
I was talking about racing movies, not car chase movies. Yeah.. Bullitt is definitely up there near the top.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Prix (The Movie) finally available on DVD!

Quick Reply: Grand Prix (The Movie) finally available on DVD!