Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Replacement

Old 07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Caliper Replacement

We replace pads, rotors, fluid, but what about the caliper?

I figure this abuse will eventually have a toll on the entire package. How can I tell when the caliper is getting to the point that it needs replacement?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
We replace pads, rotors, fluid, but what about the caliper?

I figure this abuse will eventually have a toll on the entire package. How can I tell when the caliper is getting to the point that it needs replacement?
Assuming you are talking about a C5...

Other than piston seals going bad, the typical caliper failure mode is for them to "spread". In other words, the two pads are no longer parallel to each other and to the rotor surface. This is usually evidenced by taper in the pads in a radial direction, the top of the pad (near the edge of the rotor) is thicker than the bottom.

When the caliper spreads it is junk. Nothing to do but replace it. T-1 racers see this at times, but I have never seen a caliper fail in this fashion from just HPDE use.

Hope this helps.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Is there a difference between the C5 caliper and the C5 Z06 caliper (excluding the pretty red color )
Old 07-07-2006, 10:20 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Is there a difference between the C5 caliper and the C5 Z06 caliper (excluding the pretty red color )
Same caliper, different color. Also different stock pads; the Z06 pads are same size but higher temp compound.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yeah, we see the pad taper issue quite a bit. I replace my front calipers twice, sometimes 3 times per year...and always just before the runoffs. I never had to do this doing DE stuff, but we really pound on these suckers hard for full racing. They are relatively cheap though and easy to replace. I'd recommend doing it once a year for anyone though and keep an old one or two as a spare.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Bob....

I'm in the process of changing my calipers today.....got 4 new Z06 calipers from Fred Beans for $350 + shipping.

Got my Motive bleeder this morning....gonna try it out tonight.

Running NHIS Monday....if you want to come up. John will be there, as well as a bunch of other vettes...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:58 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maineiac
I hope you bought the GM adapter cap; it was a PITA with the generic cap and the J-hooks. :-(
Old 07-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I hope you bought the GM adapter cap; it was a PITA with the generic cap and the J-hooks. :-(

They make one specific for GM now. That is what I used and it was easy...

Old 07-07-2006, 03:15 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under HPDE use, mine lasted 4 years, and started to taper pretty bad toward the end. I went through pads more often and decided it was time to change. At that point, I figured that I would just get the wilwoods and be done with it. Very happy I did. Pads are SOO much thicker, much easier to change, and I have notice an improvement in braking especially once the brakes get very hot. They remain more consistent
Old 07-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

They make one specific for GM now. That is what I used and it was easy...

Thats what I bought.....
Old 07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I got my new PFC calipers yesterday, and they should be on for the Monday event.
I hope someday a Corvette will come with first class brakes...
Old 07-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

PFC calipers? Post some pics. What are these monoblock NASCAR calipers for $5000? What type of rotors?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maineiac
Bob....

I'm in the process of changing my calipers today.....got 4 new Z06 calipers from Fred Beans for $350 + shipping.

Running NHIS Monday....if you want to come up. John will be there, as well as a bunch of other vettes...
That price gives you and idea of the markup on the Brembo Gran Tourismo and StopTech calipers!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:55 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Sidney004
PFC calipers? Post some pics. What are these monoblock NASCAR calipers for $5000? What type of rotors?
Nope, PFC ZR33 calipers (about $1350 each) , Hardbar rotors (about $750/pair, C6ZO6 14 inch size).

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-08-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, can we get these rotors yet?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Nope, PFC ZR33 calipers (about $1350 each) , Hardbar rotors (about $750/pair, C6ZO6 14 inch size).

How do you think these would compare to the Wilwoods? Just about the same price.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
How do you think these would compare to the Wilwoods? Just about the same price.

I still think the Wilwoods are head and shoulders above the stock Z06 caliper. Then throw in the cost of race pads for the new Z calipers you really have a reason to dump the stock Z set up for something better.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:42 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 95jersey
As you know I have been a big supporter of the Wilwoods, but the issue is that Wilwood does not make a caliper that is compatible with a 14 inch rotor except for the skinny version of the SL6. This caliper is more like a Wilwood Integra than an SL6 in that the pads are much thicker. In addition this caliper is much stiffer than anything and the bridge design is superior to any caliper I have ever seen. The pad changes are simply a matter of removing 2 nuts and the pads come out with the bridge. The mounting bolts/studs are larger (12mm) and are spaced further apart so that the bracket that we designed to mount it to the spindle is much stiffer because the bolts are not almost on top of the spindle mount bolts. I have to say that this is by far the best caliper I have ever seen made by anyone.
Yesterday, the performance of this system was fantastic at NHIS which is a heavy braking track. On one pass into turn one, I got a very late point by (with another forum member in the passenger seat) and I was thinking "Oh my god, I hope we make it" and we did, no problem. I felt like Jeff Gordon when he drove the Williams F1 car in that I kept thinking I was going to blow it, but it just stopped and I was thinking I could have gone even deeper.
I ran it all day with the fixed rotors (the black ones in the pic above, the floaters had an issue) and it was fantastic, no fade at all with the 97 compound pads on a very hot day. The track temp was almost 130 and in the sun it was 102. The rotors look great and the pad wear is minimal. The rotors were literally glowing bright red observers told me later.
At the end of the day I was very tired after 4 sessions each with 2 students plus my sessions. I had promised my friend Jim (he is a GT-2 driver) and Brian Cunningham (another forum member) a few laps in the car. I did a couple of laps with Brian, let him out, and was planning on only doing a couple with Jim but I saw a yellow Porsche GT-3 a hundred yards or so ahead of me and I just could not let that go so I stayed out and got him a few laps later. Overall, a really good day!

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caliper Replacement