Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Viper Days at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:11 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Question about Viper Days at VIR

I am signed up for this event but I am concerned about bringing my Spec Racer. I have asked them about it and not received a response but it now "appears" that it will mostly be Vipers and Corvettes ..... I will be a lame duck I am afraid.

Anyone who has previously attended can you give me an idea of the mix of cars (if any) and how the sessions were set up for the Friday test and tune day and then the HPDE weekend.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Janni
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
I am signed up for this event but I am concerned about bringing my Spec Racer. I have asked them about it and not received a response but it now "appears" that it will mostly be Vipers and Corvettes ..... I will be a lame duck I am afraid.

Anyone who has previously attended can you give me an idea of the mix of cars (if any) and how the sessions were set up for the Friday test and tune day and then the HPDE weekend.

Thanks
Mostly higher HP cars - it could be an issue for you.

Friday is usually 1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off- race cars with open passing, and DE cars with fairly relaxed passing rules - but usually a lot of folks know each other and play well toether - i.e. they know who's faster, etc.

Sat/Sun is Green, Blue, White, Red with passing rules increasingly flexible until open passing in Red.

Depending on your lap times, you could see a lot of passing in the straights, but then be all over folks in the twisties.

We do have Neons, Miatas and other vehicles, but they'vemostly been placed in Green or Blue just due to the lap times.

I am not sure this would give you the kind of open track experience you are looking for - but the overall numbers are smaller than most events, so that is helpful.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

You'd probably be fine in the blue run group - i was in there last year and was one of the faster cars running around 2:20's. One thing you will find is some drivers will NOT want to let you pass on the straights even though you'll be considerably faster in the turns...Skip does a good job reminding people to point if you let him know.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Teddy98Z28M6
Pro

You will be okay in the blue group. If not just talk to Courtney.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:29 AM
rbl
Drifting

Hey thanks all .... Tom gave me a bit of insight as well.

I'm not sure what group my student will be in but I will try to get moved down to Blue .... I only run about 2:22-25, consistantly. It takes me 36 seconds to get down the back straight tho :o

I'm also in for Friday but may not run if the monsters are there. Been there done that and DO NOT want a repeat!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lot's of fast cars...many with slow drivers, you should be fine, hopefully you won't get punted off of the track again. The cars in the advanced group at chin were definitely faster, and there is no passing in turns at viper days. Cars are also gridded according to lap times, so you will be put in to proper order, until you get lapped.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:03 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timz06
Lot's of fast cars...many with slow drivers, you should be fine, hopefully you won't get punted off of the track again. The cars in the advanced group at chin were definitely faster, and there is no passing in turns at viper days. Cars are also gridded according to lap times, so you will be put in to proper order, until you get lapped.
Thanks Tim .... and thanks for stopping by. I will look for you next time.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl

Thanks
RBL, you left out a period. It should read:

I will be a lame duck. I am afraid.....

I couldn't resist...
Old 07-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Rex, mount some steel spikes on the side of your car and dare some SOB to hit you!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
RBL, you left out a period. It should read:

I will be a lame duck. I am afraid.....

I couldn't resist...
I got a new seat for the car as the other one wasn't very good ..... called a porta-potty
Old 07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Falcon
Rex, mount some steel spikes on the side of your car and dare some SOB to hit you!

Well I got the car fixed and doing the alignment now. Looks like about $500 in damage. Wonder what it would have been if it was the Corvette! $5K

I talked with the Viper folks and I will move down to Blue if that will work for Debbie because she will have to run in Green .... might just end up being a bad deal. They weren't too excited about letting me cancel.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Mark and I may try to get up there Sat to spectate.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:04 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Mark and I may try to get up there Sat to spectate.
We'll be in the usual place. Looks like Friday/Sat may get a little wet but we will see I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Viper Days at VIR

Quick Reply: Question about Viper Days at VIR