Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goin' Racin'...

Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Goin' Racin'...

So life is good... The wife is happy with our new place in the country, the company is going well, and at the end of the month our old house will be someone's new house. I still have to relocate my lift and compressor to the new shop and get the permits together to have the shop expanded from 26X34 to add on an additioanl 24X40 to accomodate the ceiling height required for the lift...

Now the big question... What to replave the C5 daily driver with, and what to BUY to race... I know I'm on a Vette board, and you guys are flying the chevy bowtie flag... But I'm looking at "budget" racing... Some of you guys have been thinking seriously about this yourselves... What do ya think???

Come on, chime in...
I'm preparing to spend some cash over the coming three months and need to get a direction and get going...

Mike
Old 07-12-2006, 05:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Budget racing screams Spec Miata to me. No matter where you run in that field of cars you'll have somebody to race with. If you want to spend a bit more then MX-5 Cup? I'd sure love to run T1 in a Corvette if I had the cash, though...
Old 07-12-2006, 05:40 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Budget racing screams Spec Miata to me. No matter where you run in that field of cars you'll have somebody to race with. If you want to spend a bit more then MX-5 Cup? I'd sure love to run T1 in a Corvette if I had the cash, though...

I've been through this contemplation alot and it always comes back to SM. I just haven't gotten to the point where I'm convinced I'd have the time and committment to actually get into racing, so have kept my vette.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 742 Posts

I recently saw some photos from a race down here at Motorsports Ranch running a group of bug-eyed Sprites and TR-3s. How expensive could a cut up, cut down, Sprite be? Looks like a lot of fun for W2W racing.

Good luck in finding a fun ride!

Mike
Old 07-12-2006, 05:47 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends. Looking at Regional events? National? What organization?

SM is great overall, but Super/Pro 7 has some decent following as well (and, is pretty cheap).

IMO, head out to a national or regional race in your area and take a look at what the field is like in the spec classes -- who's out there running which classes, how many cars are in the group, etc.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:27 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a radical - http://www.radicalsouth.com

I don't think I could get myself to go the miata route...
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

The radical kinda removes the whole "economical" factor...

Mike
Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, depends on your goals. if its just for fun, your options are much more broad. if you want to be really competitive (IE national) youre going to spend big bucks no matter what series you go into.

you could get into the bmwcca or pca club racing. there are a couple of really cool/good value cars at www.bmwccaclubracing.com

or you could pick up and AS car...

there are so many options. its pretty constant though, that youll have to budget around 1k per race weekend for a regional tour. its all about the "buy-in" price of the original vehicle, and the cost of body panels, transmission, engine, bearings...
Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Well...FIRST, investigate (as you are doing), then buy a fully setup (and preferably WINNING) RACE car! Do NOT try to build one yourself. Ensure that the "Set-up book" goes with the racecar that you buy, and that it includes the correct set-up for the tracks that YOU plan to run at.

For instance, if you planned to go Pro Solo, I would advise buying Danny Popp's Corvette....etc.

Pick a series and car that you can afford the upkeep and maintenance. Especially if you have no previous racing experience, I would recommend that you NOT make the final decision untio you have been through (several) driver's schools, so that you have a reasonable basis for your decision.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
seege
Intermediate

Spec Miata witout a doubt... NASA or SCCA. A relative bargain with long lasting consumables and intense competition. But, it's getting more competitive and expensive. Nonetheless I want to run one next year too!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

63Corvette, I've done over 100 track days, and was deep into getting an instructor's license when an incident took me out of the passenger seat for years...

I've got a couple decades experience on the track in cars and on Bikes... I just figure I'll go to BertleRoos and get some instruction and maybe sort it from there...

Let's be clear here... I could go tomorrow to Joe at Phoenix and Buy a T1 car for cash. However, I'm stressing "economical" here... It's either go racing, or buy a Viper or C6Z06 daily driver... You guys see my dilemma now???

Mike
Old 07-12-2006, 10:43 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

yeah - the radicals cost a bit of coin to get, but the consumables and body panels are cheap...so, inexpensive to run with insane performance, but more upfront cost.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:16 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thought about doing something more economical. I agree with the others, economical = Miata. Most mods are priced at 1/4 of what the same thing costs on a Vette. So, had myself convinced this was the way to go....spending all the money on my '02 Z06 was getting old.

Didn't buy a Spec car, bought a new 2004, and started looking at mods. Nice looking car inside and out. Bought a roll bar .... never put it on. Got rid of the car after 9 months and got another Vette. Lesson for me, it's not about being cheap. In my case, I missed the feel and the sound of a V-8 far too much to have anything else. I understand a supercharger would have given it the speed, and great local resources in that area, and the roll bar would have cured the flexible structure, but it still would not have had the rumble of a V-8.

It was a painful lesson for me.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 PM
fa63
Instructor

Look at www.camaromustangchallenge.com As the name implies, it is a series for Camaro and Mustangs, and I think the cost of building a car to enter initially isn't very high (I have heard of people having built complete competitive cars for $8k).

Here is their east coast schedule:

Februaru 17-19
Virginia International Raceway

March 1-2
Summit Point, Shenandoah

May 6/7
CMP

July 8/9
Summit Point

July 28/30
Virginia International Raceway

August 12/13 or 26/27
Summit Point

October 14/15
Summit Point

November 11/12
Summit Point
Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 PM
MazdaratiRob
Advanced

The absolute most economical way to go racing is decide what series you want to race in and then go rent the ride. If you want to consider Grand Am ST class, PM me. Or if you are interested in something with a little more hp with a higher price tag, I can recommend a few teams in either the GS, GT, or for the really adventurous maybe even a DP ride. All are available for a price and it will be less costly than doing it on your own. I promise.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MazdaratiRob
or for the really adventurous maybe even a DP ride. All are available for a price and it will be less costly than doing it on your own. I promise.
DPs ???????? Hmmmmmm Now you got me thinking.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:27 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told minimum cost of DP ride 500,000 Far from a top effort.

Get notified of new replies

To Goin' Racin'...

Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Spec Racer Ford http://www.scca-enterprises.com/spec_ford.html

Largest competitive fields in SCCA

Do an "Arrive and Drive" Rental to try it out -- http://www.hrace.com

The first half of this year I did 9 races at the following venues: Summit
Point, Carolina Motorsports Park, VIR and Mid-Ohio.

Cost were:
$11900 "Arrive and Drive" Rentals (Full support including crew)
$ 3000 Travel Expenses
$ 1850 Entry Fees
$ 775 Damage Repair
For this, I had fantastic competitive racing, gained priceless experence in race conditions, and one podium finish.

A used SRF (ready to race) can be purchased in the $18K to $22K range

You'll find it a challenge with super rewards! Enjoy the ADVENTURE!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Mike

This car has your name all over it. and it is a corvette

http://www.racer-net.com//scagt116.htm

1970 SCCA GT-1 CORVETTE

Section 8 Racing Inc. is proud to offer their 1970 Vintage SCCA GT-1 Corvette. Section 8 Racing Inc. purchased the car in 1999 and spent that year slowly restoring it to be raced again. For the next 3 years the car was raced in local solo autocross events and won a Silver in the 2003 Chevy Vettefest. After talking to one of the original owners it was found that the car was an original 1970 LT-1 convertible with air conditioning that was converted to a racecar in the mid 80's. Log book contains history from 1988 to 1991 at such tracks as Road Atlanta and Nelson Ledges.

Features include:
Engine:
# 500+ HP SB Chevy
# High Nickle block
# 12.5:1 compression
# 2.02 cc Heads
# Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
# Crane Cams Hi Rev kit
# MSD 6AL ignition w/adjustable rev limiter
# Be Cool oversized radiator
# Electric cooling fan
# Power Steering
# ATL Fuel Cell
# Dual electric fuel pumps

Transmission:
# Muncie M21 close ratio 4 Speed
# Hurst Indy Shifter
# 4.56 Rear Differential

Suspension:
# Koni Shocks
# Front A-Arm Spreader Bar
# Brass Bushings
# Rear Dual Mount Spring System
# Rear Smart struts
# Oversized Anti-Sway bars
# Offset Trailing arms

Wheels and Tires:
# 13"x16" Magnesium 3 pc. Wheels
# Hoosier R45 tires

Brakes:
# SS 4 piston calipers
# Hawk HPS race pads
# SS brake lines
# Wilwood Proportioning valve

Body:
# Full MIG welded Roll bar through engine compartment
# Door protection on both sides
# 1980 fully removable front clip
# 1996 Grand Sport Admiral Blue paint
# Graphics by Advantage Auto Accessories
# Kirkey Race seat
# Simpson 5 point harness
# Autometer gauges
# Custom fabricated dashboard
# Stamped ID in roll bar per SCCA ruling

This is a racecar that has been raced, it is not a show car, there are scratches and a small crack in the fiberglass on the rear quarter panel. I've tried to document and photograph all the qualities of this car but more pictures can be taken by request. This car is in excellent condition and a real attention getter. The pictures of racing are from Gingerman Raceway in Michigan from last spring.

$24,900.00
Phone: (847) 456-1751
e-Mail: S8RACING@aol.com
Old 07-13-2006, 08:50 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Hey Bud. There is no such thing as economical racing...just doesn't exist. My love is vettes so I'm slanted that way. For the money, I just don't think you can beat one of Joe's T1 vettes. If you have the talent, you can bolt on one of his cars and make the runoffs the first year.

I just don't think you'd be happy with the downgrade in power that a SM series would provide. It's great racing, but the feel and power of the vettes (and the rest of the T1 field) is really amazing. Good luck. I hope to see you on track soon!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goin' Racin'...