Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny O Reports on Salt Lake

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:13 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Johnny O Reports on Salt Lake

Johnny O has posted this on www.johnnyoconnell.com

"Salt Lake City
Added 07/19/06

Where to begin . Right now I知 sitting in the airport having gotten up at 4:30 to catch my flight, and after totally giving everything we have, am thinking that I should have gone for a later flight so that I could sleep !

Totally tired and sore but I知 sure I値l get some sleep on the flight.

From my point of view Corvette Racing has so much to be proud of. Sure we were never on the pace of the Aston Martins, but man did we push as hard as we could every lap. Our engineer Joe Keifer gave us such a great car, and as I love this circuit so much, I really enjoyed driving hard the entire time.

We knew coming here that we were most likely going to get spanked by the Astons and qualifying showed what a difference there was. Ollie and I limited ourselves to just two hard laps, and I just beat him out, which is something that doesn稚 happen often as he is killer in qualifying. So I was pleased with that, but we were still over 2 seconds back of the Astons, who were flying. Our only hope was that their tires would go off, and that they would come back to us.

At the start of the race it was quickly evident that on pace there was no way we could match them, and hoped that they would come back to us. At around lap 25 the lead Aston ripped off a lap faster than we qualified, so we knew that tires would not be a problem for them. Major bummer !

For my run, once I got in the car I knew that I would have to run every lap right on the edge. There was a lot of ground to make up to the 4 car, and as the stint went on was able to whittle that down. I was getting good breaks in traffic, and like I mentioned the car was just so nice to drive. Near the end there was a caution that got us on the back of the 4 car, and I think our tires were a touch better as Olivier was sliding a bit more than I was. He was doing a great job but slid wide in corner 14 on the exit and I was able to slip by. I continued to push hard, but there was little I could do with the Astons. We finished third, proud of how we worked hard as a team with both cars , but disappointed that we weren稚 able to ever really be in this one.

Finally a word on the circuit here. I so loved driving here. It is one of the most demanding circuits athletically, and especially with the heat was an amazing challenge. It has such good rhythm to it, and each corner really makes sense and allows for good racing with good passing zones. I know that as the years go by, and they tune it more, it will become one of the premier tracks in America. So all you Corvette owners, if you ever get the chance to run your car here, jump at it. It痴 mega fast and mega safe. Portland is next and know we値l be pushing hard.

Johnny O "
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Good read, thanks for posting.
Mike
Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by ReddyZ06
Good read, thanks for posting.
Mike
You're most welcome.

What is scary is that the GT2 Ferrari was about to pass Olivier on the last lap.

We can only keep our fingers crossed for this weekend at Portland and hope that some sanity is used by the ALMS Powers-to Be!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:28 PM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by TRAIL BOSS
You're most welcome.

What is scary is that the GT2 Ferrari was about to pass Olivier on the last lap.

We can only keep our fingers crossed for this weekend at Portland and hope that some sanity is used by the ALMS Powers-to Be!

Yes, part of what I liked about Johnny O's post is what it did not say. We all understood that the ALMS screwed over the Corvettes, but he kept a rather upbeat spin on the race. I don't follow ALMS closely, just go to a few races and watch a few on tv, but why would they restrict the Corvettes and seemingly let the Audi engine cars win every event?
Mike
Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I don't follow ALMS closely, just go to a few races and watch a few on tv, but why would they restrict the Corvettes and seemingly let the Audi engine cars win every event?
Mike

The Audis are in a different class.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:34 AM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Kappa
The Audis are in a different class.

I do understand that much.
Mike
Old 07-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Yes, part of what I liked about Johnny O's post is what it did not say. We all understood that the ALMS screwed over the Corvettes, but he kept a rather upbeat spin on the race.
he showed a lot of class. Some things should discussed behind close doors.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:54 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Johnny is a class act and always upbeat even in trying times!

Here's to Success for Corvette Racing at Portland and a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOHNNY O on the 26th

Get notified of new replies

To Johnny O Reports on Salt Lake

Quick Reply: Johnny O Reports on Salt Lake