Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does NAPA Warranty their rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Does NAPA Warranty their rotors?

Just put a set on late May, did three 15 minute sessions and then drove on street . I had a rotor split today.

I can replace but if they are warrantied, I'll take advantage of it.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

NAPA does not give a warranty on rotors that I know of. You can always take it back to the local store with your purchase receipt and claim that it was defective. Don't mention anything about the track day or they will just laugh at you. It's worth a try.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:02 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OR you can do the stand-up thing and chalk it up to track expense. Using a car hard takes it's toll on parts. You rotor may have died prematurely or maybe it was not seasoned properly. There are lots of reasons for parts failure, but bogus warranty items affect us all eventually in the costs we pay.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

between us this weekend we went through 3 new rotors (1 on 3 different cars). I would not think of returning them to NAPA

Besides I think the metal changing colors would be a dead giveaway that they were raced
Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

seasoning helps. Doubt they will do squat.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Chalky

I can replace but if they are warrantied, I'll take advantage of it.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Hey! Don't give up! Three weeks ago while out at the new Miller Motorsports Park, I warped two rotors and cracked the other two. Took the two cracked ones back to my Napa parts guy, laid them on the counter, and he gave me credit for two new ones that I had ordered. And yes...I told him how it happened. He said anytime it happens again to bring them back. Best $25 I have ever spent!

It's just too bad that I threw away all those other bad Napa rotors before trying to take them back.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Chalky
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
OR you can do the stand-up thing and chalk it up to track expense. Using a car hard takes it's toll on parts. You rotor may have died prematurely or maybe it was not seasoned properly. There are lots of reasons for parts failure, but bogus warranty items affect us all eventually in the costs we pay.
Yea, I'm out to rip NAPA off for $28.00. Please give me a break. Just a simple question.

I've warped plenty of rotors, but never had one crack like this.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Chalky
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
Hey! Don't give up! Three weeks ago while out at the new Miller Motorsports Park, I warped two rotors and cracked the other two. Took the two cracked ones back to my Napa parts guy, laid them on the counter, and he gave me credit for two new ones that I had ordered. And yes...I told him how it happened. He said anytime it happens again to bring them back. Best $25 I have ever spent!

It's just too bad that I threw away all those other bad Napa rotors before trying to take them back.
Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering two more rotors for a session In October. I'll check out their policy when I place the order

I think it was AutoZone that used to have a lifetime warranty on a performance brake pad. You wear it out, they replaced it, no question. If NAPA wants to extend a warranty on their rotors, that makes them an even better deal!!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had two Carbotech slotted rear rotors crack after only two 15 minute sessions. I was not even driving very fast since I was having trouble with the transmission. They both cracked exactly the same way, through a slot on each one. I had Napa rotors on the front, they were fine.

I called Carbotech, they credited me for the two rotors. Carbotech's rotors may have failed prematurely, but their customer service didn't. Their pads seem to work pretty good too.

I've learned my lesson, no slotted rotors! I already knew about drilled, but I guess any modification of the surface can cause cracks.

Dog
Old 07-21-2006, 07:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Seasoning rotors is very important. But rember rotors dont crack on the track, they crack in the paddock from improper cool down. Mostly from sitting next to the HOT brake pad, while the part of the rotor NOT near the hot pads cool at a faster rate, then - TING - Sound of cracking rotors.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:28 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dead on, once again. Been there, heard that
Old 07-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Seasoning rotors is very important. But rember rotors dont crack on the track, they crack in the paddock from improper cool down. Mostly from sitting next to the HOT brake pad, while the part of the rotor NOT near the hot pads cool at a faster rate, then - TING - Sound of cracking rotors.

One of our rotors cracked after 2 sessions. We felt it was because after running hard for a few laps they pulled a black flag on us right next to the pit. The session was over, but we never got a cool down lap. Usually during the cool down lap I try to do the course with little to no braking which I think helps a ton. Air is cooling both the brakes and the rotors.

We did drive around the paddock area for a few mins to cool the cars down, but the rotor still cracked.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:59 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering two more rotors for a session In October. I'll check out their policy when I place the order

I think it was AutoZone that used to have a lifetime warranty on a performance brake pad. You wear it out, they replaced it, no question. If NAPA wants to extend a warranty on their rotors, that makes them an even better deal!!
Yeah, AZ *used* to have that warrenty. Now it's two years. IMO, I'd take them back to NAPA, tell them what you were doing, and see what they do. I have no problem using a warrenty, but I'm always up front with them about how it happened.

I've never had my local AZ turn me down.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-21-2006, 08:03 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
One of our rotors cracked after 2 sessions. We felt it was because after running hard for a few laps they pulled a black flag on us right next to the pit. The session was over, but we never got a cool down lap. Usually during the cool down lap I try to do the course with little to no braking which I think helps a ton. Air is cooling both the brakes and the rotors.

We did drive around the paddock area for a few mins to cool the cars down, but the rotor still cracked.

Yup, that sucks. You might try also throwing a towel or something like that over the tire/wheel to prevent air from blowing over it and that would keep the cool down more consistent, even though slower. Just be sure to check you brake pedal before you take off in case you heat soaked the fluid. It's a trade off.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:15 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Yea, I'm out to rip NAPA off for $28.00. Please give me a break. Just a simple question.

I've warped plenty of rotors, but never had one crack like this.
It was not your post I was commenting on. If NAPA offers a warrranty, then by all means take advantage of it, but, to your point, it isn't worth lying about for $28.00. Looks to me as though we are in agreement.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Get notified of new replies

To Does NAPA Warranty their rotors?

Old 07-21-2006, 03:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by greendot
Yup, that sucks. You might try also throwing a towel or something like that over the tire/wheel to prevent air from blowing over it and that would keep the cool down more consistent, even though slower. Just be sure to check you brake pedal before you take off in case you heat soaked the fluid. It's a trade off.

I had the air blow into a DRM duct (reverse) when the car was sitting after a session. The result was the rotor was so hot the duct melted and partially collapsed
Old 07-21-2006, 09:26 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Brake rotors

The key: Read AU N GEL's post numerous times.

Cool down lap.

Do not use parking brake when in pits.

After car sits for a couple of minutes roll tire 180 degrees or 120 degrees twice after another couple of minutes. This lets rotor cool down more evenly.

This is the same protocol I use with my race car, obviously no parking brake, and I have not had any rotor issues except for maybe an off track excursion.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I think I'd just chalk it up to life on the track. Just be glad it wasn't something expensive or hard to get to for once.

Quick Reply: Does NAPA Warranty their rotors?