Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Rock Auto Rotor - I'm Confused

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:41 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Which Rock Auto Rotor - I'm Confused

Rock Auto lists two different Raybestos rotors. For example for the right front they list:

#56700R for $16.02 - 12.8" dia. - Red Label

#56700 for $20.99 - 12.8" dia. - PG Plus

Here's the link:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1896

Which is the correct one? I'd prefer to run the cheaper rotor but don't know if there is a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 07-21-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered one set of each to find out that very thing...visually, they are IDENTICAL! I can't say if there is some metallurgical difference, but all stampings, etc. are the same.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I was told not to run the Red Label, but I forget why now - guess old age is kicking in since it was only 2 weeks ago that I asked
Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Rock Auto lists two different Raybestos rotors. For example for the right front they list:

#56700R for $16.02 - 12.8" dia. - Red Label

#56700 for $20.99 - 12.8" dia. - PG Plus

Here's the link:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1896

Which is the correct one? I'd prefer to run the cheaper rotor but don't know if there is a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

"R" stands for Drill & Slotted. Dont get those
Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You won't get any Corvette rotors from Rock Auto that have been drilled and slotted!!!!

Just get the cheapest ones. They are all the same - made in Canada with different boxes and labels - that's it.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by wtknght1
You won't get any Corvette rotors from Rock Auto that have been drilled and slotted!!!!

Just get the cheapest ones. They are all the same - made in Canada with different boxes and labels - that's it.

there has to be some difference (even if it doesnt really matter) otherwise why would they label them differently.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I stand correcte. Get the cheap ones and have at it.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

There sure should be some difference - I wasn't willing to pay (yes, $$$) to call the raybestos tech line to find out though...
Old 07-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by freefall
There sure should be some difference - I wasn't willing to pay (yes, $$$) to call the raybestos tech line to find out though...

I sent an email to rockauto asking for the difference between the PG Plus and the Red Label. hopefully they get back to me.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I sent an email to rockauto asking for the difference between the PG Plus and the Red Label. hopefully they get back to me.
Red Label rotors for the Pontiac Grand Am were marked "Made In China" on the box. The rotors themselves had no markings except some stamping on the edge.

I got the $16 rotors for the Z06 last time and am pretty sure they were not made in China. I believe they were the same as the Delco/Raybestos rotors that I bought from Rock Auto the time before for about $20-$24. In any case, they have 3 speed events on them and have the usual heat checks in the surface.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Red Label rotors for the Pontiac Grand Am were marked "Made In China" on the box. The rotors themselves had no markings except some stamping on the edge.

I got the $16 rotors for the Z06 last time and am pretty sure they were not made in China. I believe they were the same as the Delco/Raybestos rotors that I bought from Rock Auto the time before for about $20-$24. In any case, they have 3 speed events on them and have the usual heat checks in the surface.

thanks - I know the $20-$24 the boxes are labeled MAde in Canada. If the Red Label is the same then I can't see why not go with the cheaper ones.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:32 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

thanks - I know the $20-$24 the boxes are labeled MAde in Canada. If the Red Label is the same then I can't see why not go with the cheaper ones.
They are ALL made in Canada. Get the cheap ones... You get a full set delivered to your door for under $100. Just about all the T1 guys run them.

Why are the different labels priced differently?? The same reason the same product is priced differently at different stores you go into...and the same reason gas is priced differently at different locations.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:43 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Yes, the Red Label boxes are stamped "Made In Canada"
Old 07-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

You guys are the best. I just ordered 4 rotors and pads for all 4 wheels (street use only) for under $200 shipped to the door. I will be ordering 2 more sets of rotors for track use shortly. CMP is coming up

Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 06:50 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kanmer
You guys are the best. I just ordered 4 rotors and pads for all 4 wheels (street use only) for under $200 shipped to the door. I will be ordering 2 more sets of rotors for track use shortly. CMP is coming up

Bob
Spare seasoned rotors and pads are always a good idea at CMP (and Road Atlanta.....and Sebring.....)
Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 AM
ddl6289
Instructor

Default Brembo rotors are the same

I've been getting the "napa" rotors from Rockauto for some time. Recently I decided to get a set of plain Brembo rotors for my C5. Much to my surprise they are identical to the rockauto rotors from Canada. There must be a foundry in Canada where these are made and the various companies are labeling/placing them into there own boxes for retail sales.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:44 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I bought a set of Brembo standard rotors for my 87 last year, and they were stamped "Made in Canada". Guess there must be a Canadian company with a big contract for supplying rotors for different companies.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel a little safer with something like brake rotors that are made in North America on my car compared to "Made in China".

Get notified of new replies

To Which Rock Auto Rotor - I'm Confused

Old 07-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Seasoning rotors

Originally Posted by varkwso
Spare seasoned rotors and pads are always a good idea at CMP (and Road Atlanta.....and Sebring.....)
Ok, I am new to this road racing thing. (Participating anyway) What is the best way to "Season" rotors? I have heard several things but I want to hear it here.

TIA
Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"

I was told not to run the Red Label, but I forget why now - guess old age is kicking in since it was only 2 weeks ago that I asked
Thats how it starts!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:32 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Ok, I am new to this road racing thing. (Participating anyway) What is the best way to "Season" rotors? I have heard several things but I want to hear it here.

TIA
Bob

I like to use allspice.

I think that seasoning is a term someone made up. When bedding brake pads some of the pad material is transfered to the rotor. This near invisible amount of pad material affects braking performance... usually in a good way. Other that that heat cycling a rotor has no effect. If it was truly stress relieving the rotor, it would probably change shape and have to be re-machined.

The rotors themselves are damaged by uneven heating and cooling. If one surface heats or cools faster than the rest, the rotor gets distorted and cracks on the surface that is in tension. The first cracks are usually small and at the surface. Typically they grow until the rotor fractures from the hat to the outside diameter. Most people try to guess when the little craks are big enough and replace them. They usually crack after sitting in the pits for a few minutes while cooling down. If you go out on the track and ignore that subtle brake vibration, then you are risking a catastrophic rotor failure.

You can help them live longer by taking time to warm up brakes with slow laps and gentle braking and cool down laps at the end of sessions. Sometimes that isn't possible or practical depending on type of track event you are competing in.

All race cars have this problem to a certain extent, but the tracked C5 rotors seem to crack more than any other car I have owned. I'm convinced that it has something to do with the geometry as all brands of replacement rotors crack eventualy.

Quick Reply: Which Rock Auto Rotor - I'm Confused