Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lightweight racing mufflers

Old 07-21-2006, 03:17 PM
JDANNER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightweight racing mufflers

I'm looking for info on lightweight racing mufflers. I'm racing a C4 SCCA racecar and every pound I can loose from the car would be a help (I know it's easier to loose it from me but my wife can't drive!). The rules say I must stay below 104db. Straight pipes would put me too close to that depending on the WX conditions. Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.burnsstainless.com/Ultral...temuffler.html
Old 07-21-2006, 04:20 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I don't know what all you've done to your car, how much HP it has, or what the current sound level is, but here is another option and won't add much weight at all:

Every track has a sound station located somewhere on the side of the track, so figure out what side it's on and mount a set of curved extensions on the ends of the tail pipe and point them away from the sound meter. It's a cheap, light solution that will drop your sound level several dbs.

Our exhaust in T1 is open from the cats back, so it's still got the cats and stock manifold, but other than that, it's open (no mufflers). The highest db I've seen is about 97 or so. It's a stock engine too. 104 is pretty damn loud so unless you've done a lot to your engine and exhaust, you may be just fine without the mufflers.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

I beleive that TPIS in Minn. offers a system that runs both pipes to the right side & then exits the car through a single muffler. This "should " reduce & better distribute the weight of the exhaust system.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:23 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Borla XR1 series do a good job with sound even in their smaller sizes. Lots of good sizes and shapes to choose from.

Get notified of new replies

To lightweight racing mufflers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lightweight racing mufflers