Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It looks like ALMS listened to all of the Vette Fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:09 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Default It looks like ALMS listened to all of the Vette Fans

A Quote from the ALMS site that was posted earlier today, 7/21/06.

"The Corvettes will race in their Lime Rock Park configuration, meaning a larger diameter in its air restrictor and increased fuel capacity."

I thought they were restricted prior to Lime Rock after LeMans ? Anyway the C6R’s are back to what they had earlier in the season it sounds like for now.

I don't know if all of us C6R fans that sent messages to ALMS had anything to do with this or if they opened their eyes after Utah and saw that they had taken too much from the C6R's. Anyway they seem to be back on pace and it looks like #4 is P1 in class followed by #3 after qualifying at PIR this afternoon-based on the live timing information. I think it was, and still is, a farce by ALMS to restrict the cars to equalize the competition. ALMS is not World Challenge. ALMS it is suppose to be the top level of sports car racing. If ALMS is suppose to be the top level of sports car racing then make the slower car/teams find the speed to compete with the fastest car/team. It seems to me that is what GM and Pratt and Miller did after the 2003 season when the Prodrive Ferraris beat up on them at LeMans and the second half of the ALMS season. If no one wants to run GT1 because the GM/Pratt and Miller C6R’s are to fast then take off all the inlet restrictors on the C6R’s and let the car run at GT1 base weight and see if they can find a way to be fast enough to compete for overall race wins. Just think of an unrestricted 427 in the C6R. Anyway just my rant about ALMS trying to equalize cars.

Brian
Old 07-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope this is enough to give the C6R and AM even straight line speed.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great news. Now I don't have to bother to actually watch the race to know who wins. Just think of all the things I can get done around the house. The wife will be pleased.

Next thing you know the Corvette will be the only one racing GT1 and they won't even have to run the race at all. Think of the time and money that will save all of the race fans. Oh, wait, without TV coverage or fans, Corvette probably won't want to race in the ALMS either. Maybe the can create a stock car with a picture of Corvette headlights on it. NASCAR here we come. The car of tomorrow is here.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:15 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=2330
Old 07-22-2006, 12:03 AM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the SCCA will take notice and lighten up on the vettes in Speed GT.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:49 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What AMLS is doing is not really different fron what NASCAR does with restrictor plate and the standard body profile templates. Evening out the competition is more for the fans than it is for the marque that is racing.

But there has to be a point where the cars should be able to run fast based on what the engineers and crews can do. Obviously the C6R's were faster this year and A-M should have had to work to get competitive, not wait for the rules to be changed to become competitive.

The entrants want to win, ALMS wants a show.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:31 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news.

Someone said this in another thread but it's right - the AM's have been fast as hell all year, they run into mechanical issues. You can't penalize the vette in order to slow it down to make up for laps the AM's spend in the pits, that isn't right.

I'm glad to hear their taking away some of the restrictions.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VanSpeed
Just think of an unrestricted 427 in the C6R. Anyway just my rant about ALMS trying to equalize cars.

Brian
850 to 900 BHP unrestricted. Engines are tuned for the restrictions.

Get notified of new replies

To It looks like ALMS listened to all of the Vette Fans

Quick Reply: It looks like ALMS listened to all of the Vette Fans