Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelf life on Kumho V710 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Shelf life on Kumho V710 tires?

I found a new set of Kumho V710's for about $300 cheaper then Tire Rack. They are two years old, stored in his garage. What do you think? Will they be just as competitive as fresh one's?

thanks,
Steve
Old 07-24-2006, 06:24 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, considering the last set of V710s I got from Tire Rack were over 8 months old, based on their molding date, maybe two years isn't a big deal

Seriously, a lot depends on how they were stored and the temps. If they were in garbage bags, in a climate controlled garage, I'd bet they'd be near as good as new. If they've been on their side, subject to below freezing to over 120 degrees, they probably have gone a little hard. In either case, I don't think I'd pay more than 50% of current retail.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:29 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason they are that old and that cheap probably has to do with the fact that they may be the tires that Kumho recalled a few years ago. When they first came out, a few folks had delaminating problems. The place where the rubber actually joins together on the surface of the tire would separate a bit.

The tires I ran had no issues like complete delamination, but the surface tread did separate a little at that seam. I ran 5 races or so on them before the recall and again, had no issues. In fact, I ran all of them down to the cord and still had superlative performance.

The newer tires have the following annotation on the sidewall:
Tread Steel 2 + 2 Polyester 2 + Nylon 2
Sidewall polyester 3 plies

If those tires have anything other than that, they are the old version. I think they may say something like "Polyester 4." I doubt you'll have any issues with them... but just be aware and keep the hot pressures below 40 and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I also believe that Kumho will still honor it's offer to replace any of those old tires and substitute it with a brand new one. I think the Tire Rack and Vilven Tire are the primary points of contact. Kumho is a real stand up company and wants to make sure it's customers are very happy with their products!!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:04 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks guys. He said they were bought after the recall. I'll check into the sidewall description.

thanks.
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Shelf life on Kumho V710 tires?

Quick Reply: Shelf life on Kumho V710 tires?