Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get into Roadracing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
GK VETTLOVER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get into Roadracing

I live in Amarillo Tx so first queston would be where is the nearset place to roadrace is. Second what do I need to race any classes or do you just race. I currently AutoX have seen vid of roadracing and it looks likes alot of fun and I would love to try it
Old 07-25-2006, 02:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you want to do Wheel 2 wheel racing or just track days ??

actually racing here is a TX link to NASA ( National Auto Sports Assoication ) http://www.nasatx.com/main.asp

They have Driving schools and a compettion school to help you get started.

Welcome to the dark side
Old 07-25-2006, 02:44 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Welcome to the dark side
Step 1. Check Sticky in Auto-x/RR section of corvette forum
Step 2. Say goodbye to all aspirations of wealth and/or 401k.
Step 3. Come to grips with above.

on and on.

I'm currently midway between 2 and 3

Track days/weekends (DEs) are semi-affordable though. It just depends on frequency and you're need for constant tinkering and improvment (of equipment). Some people can't leave well enough alone... not me of course

One thing that is near constant through it all is fun... I've done alot of things and not many come close to putting in a great lap/turn etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
GK VETTLOVER
Racer

what is the difference from track day and Wheel 2 wheel ?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GK VETTLOVER
what is the difference from track day and Wheel 2 wheel ?
Wheel 2 Wheel ( W2W) is actull racing, Green flag, flow down the straights and around corners inches from another car, checked flag and fabulous women falling all over the winner. and sponsors waving big dollar contracts into your face. OKOK no women or sponsors.

and track days or High Performance Drivers Events ( HPDE )is driving on a road race track but under more controled situations. and in many cases with an experienced instructor in your right seat.

Racing takes serious modifications to your car, mostly a roll cage and fire suppression system, plus many other modifications. In many cases your car will no longer be streetable.

Track days is just drive what you bring.

Look at the web site I posted above will help too. Many many TX guys here to help you get started too.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:25 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely start with an HPDE and if you like it, you can go from there. The thing that is holding me back from wheel 2 wheel is $$.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

there are ways to do this without braking the bank. If you're talking HPDEs, go and relax don't worry about being the fastest guy out there, stick with the less expensive tires, take it easy on on the car and parts will last a lot longer. The problem is that before they go for the 1st time, people start out assuming they need all kind of expensive mods to "race" their car not understanding that they can't really handle a stock car yet, and they don't know what they need yet. So they waste a lot of money up front on useless junk, then once you get involved and learn how to drive the temptation is always to want to go faster, that's where the 401K goes down the drain.

but back to your actual question, get in touch with NASA or the SCCA or whoever close to you does track days or AutoX and just get out there.

and welcome to the dark side
Old 07-25-2006, 03:39 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Love these threads...seeing more and more of these. how about the one with the guy who wanted to race on a series that was on TV. I read that and thought...you got to be kidding me. Is this an 18 year old kid or what..
Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Love these threads...seeing more and more of these. how about the one with the guy who wanted to race on a series that was on TV. I read that and thought...you got to be kidding me. Is this an 18 year old kid or what..

If you got the MONEY - Grand AM teams will teach you to drive. but 10 to 30, grand a race ???
Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Since you are TX, look at www.thedriversedge.net

I run with these guys frequently, they're a great bunch of guys, run a good program, and other than being a little lazy with the blue flags every once in a while (not really their fault) I've never had a bad experience.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Directions for making a million dollars roadracing: Start with $5 million!

Seriously, these are the best/simplest directions I can think of:
1) Attend several (more than one) professional driver's schools, such as Bondurant, Panoz, etc., to see if you "really want to" do it.
2) Decide how much you have to spend (double that)
3) Decide what series you want to race in that fits item #2
4) Buy the fastest car already in that series that fits item #2
For instance, Lou Gigliotti (LGM) will sell you his winning SpeedWorld Challange GT car for around $185,000 (but you will need $500,000+ to run the series races) You get the benefit of an already set up car with proper chassis set up for each track in the series (priceless)
Old 07-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey
the kid's got to start somewhere
Old 07-25-2006, 04:13 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow01
Since you are TX, look at www.thedriversedge.net

I run with these guys frequently, they're a great bunch of guys, run a good program, and other than being a little lazy with the blue flags every once in a while (not really their fault) I've never had a bad experience.

Best HPDE guys in TX.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:03 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

And one step that has to be in there somewhere is "Check your ego at the door!" Some of these guys have been racing for 20+ years and will absolutely clean your clock on the racetrack. Learn from them and don't get too depressed your first few times out on track. Nobody, and I mean nobody "just gets in the car and can drive" - Tom Cruise from Days of Thunder. Some have obvious talents above others, but this stuff takes lots and lots of seat time to get really good.

My best advice is to just develop a good ol' fashioned crack habit. It's quicker, easier and will cost a helluva lot less!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The old joke
SCCA = See Cruise Crash Again

Sorry about that.

Start with the HPDE and see if you like track racing. If you are really serious attend some racing events and talk to some of the drivers in the classes you are thinking about.

Get a realistic idea of the budget it is going to take. The closer to the front of the pack, the more money you are going to spend. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to keep up with people who outspend you. As much as you might want to run a certain class, you sometimes have to pick a class that you can be competitive in with you budget.

It really depends on the person. Some drivers would rather be have a chance of winning in a slower (cheaper) class while others like driving in the faster classes even though they know they do not have the budget to win, but they just enjoy the racing.

Its all fun, and a great way to keep your wallet from getting fat.

Larry
Old 07-25-2006, 07:03 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

The first rule of racing: There's always someone willing to spend more than you!

SCCA = Spoiled Children Crashing Automobiles.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:10 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I suggest you hang with someone who is doing racing or track days. It will be free and you will learn alot. And if you make yourself useful, you might get free lunch and a coke!

Get notified of new replies

To How do I get into Roadracing

Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the biggest loan you can then be prepared to get a second mortgage Some good idea above. Watch first and try a few HPDE
Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

second the info on the Drivers Edge. www.thedriversedge.net. Good, organized and safe. Come out to an event and see what it's like, then come back and drive the next one. There's something going on someplace in Texas every weekend. You're close to one great track (MSR Cresson), and within hard reach of another (TWS in college station). There's Hallet in OK too.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 PM
GK VETTLOVER
Racer

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Best HPDE guys in TX.
Saw the site looks cool I think the track days thing is a good place to start besides I am putting a kid threw college

Quick Reply: How do I get into Roadracing