Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Caliper On Rear - How to Keep Park Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:39 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Front Caliper On Rear - How to Keep Park Brake

My car sees dual duty (street/track) and I'd like to go with a front caliper on the rear setup yet retain the rear parking brake.

Who makes a rotor that is front rotor size but has a rib for the park brake? I'd probably just use this for the street and swap to a NAPA front rotor for the rear wheels at the track (assuming a specialty rotor would be pricey).

I'd prefer not using anything drilled or slotted.

Also, do the front calipers mount directly to the rear without any special brackets.

Any info appreciated.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:05 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I thaught that forum member rudyarias went down that road and that the C6 Z51 rear rotor would work with the drum for the stock parking brake. I'm not possitive but I think that is what he ended up using.

I believe that you mount the front calipers with front caliper mount brakets on the rear, I know RAFTRACER did it on his car, but he definatly isn't using the parking brakes on that car.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:06 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I guess that's an option, but then I need to run drilled/slotted up front to not look silly and am back to swapping rotors to non-DS before each track day. Those caliper bracket bolts get annoying fast on jackstands.

Any other options?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:17 PM
DrBro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this as have several others and concluded that the C5 Front Calipers on the rear will fit, feel good on the street, but overbrake the rear on the track. I discussed this with both the Wilwood and Baer folks and they both recommended against it for the same reason. I run the Wilwood 6S on the front and switched to Baer plus 2 (15" rotors) on the back with stock calipers and stock E brake. Results are steller and the amount of wear on the rear a minimum. There are of course many other opinions, but this is my experience.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hardbar may come out with something soon. You just swap the calipers diagonally for them to work. No rear brakes though.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:43 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by DrBro
I tried this as have several others and concluded that the C5 Front Calipers on the rear will fit, feel good on the street, but overbrake the rear on the track. I discussed this with both the Wilwood and Baer folks and they both recommended against it for the same reason. I run the Wilwood 6S on the front and switched to Baer plus 2 (15" rotors) on the back with stock calipers and stock E brake. Results are steller and the amount of wear on the rear a minimum. There are of course many other opinions, but this is my experience.
Are you running stock front or stock rear calipers on the back?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:39 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I thaught that forum member rudyarias went down that road and that the C6 Z51 rear rotor would work with the drum for the stock parking brake. I'm not possitive but I think that is what he ended up using.

I believe that you mount the front calipers with front caliper mount brakets on the rear, I know RAFTRACER did it on his car, but he definatly isn't using the parking brakes on that car.
I did it with the C6 Z51 front (13.4 inch) and rear (12 INCH) Brake Rotors which kept the OEMparking brake. Only difference was that I had to replace the front bracket to use the bigger front rotor. I am working with Stainless Steel Brake Corporation in developing their 38 MM Tri Piston caliper to the rear. The C5 OEM Front Bracket will work if you machine grind the "lobes" but it still leaves a gap for the pads to slip out of the bracket when 1/4 thick because the offset is slightly off. The new bracket which SSC is designing will for the rear C6 Z51 rotor.

Last edited by rudyarias; 07-30-2006 at 04:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Caliper On Rear - How to Keep Park Brake

Quick Reply: Front Caliper On Rear - How to Keep Park Brake