Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to this section...How'd the C5 do in competition last year??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:19 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Default New to this section...How'd the C5 do in competition last year??

Just watched Speedvision tonight...the World GT series and it was a lot of fun but I was dissapointed to see Chevy at the bottom of the list for the manufacturer points, while porsche was first...even cadillac was ahead. I thought the vette had a higher stance than this in the racing scene...what about last year??
Old 07-29-2006, 01:43 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
Just watched Speedvision tonight...the World GT series and it was a lot of fun but I was dissapointed to see Chevy at the bottom of the list for the manufacturer points, while porsche was first...even cadillac was ahead. I thought the vette had a higher stance than this in the racing scene...what about last year??
Im not sure but, I believe all the Corvettes in that series are privately sponsored while the Caddys and many of the Porsches are factory sponsored. My guess is it has alot to do with the budgets of the race teams.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:04 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

why in the world are no corvettes factory sponsored. This is Chevy's freaking flagship
Old 07-29-2006, 04:27 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because they want to establish the CTS-V as a race car despite it being a ringer.

I think the question to ask is why doesn't Chevy have Pratt & Miller build customer C6-Rs and Z06s.

Porsche has huge success with the 911 GT3 Cup and GT3 RSR.

Porsche has two factory 997 GT3 RSRs at the 24 Hours of Spa this weekend, but it is their debut race and their only one until next year when [I]privateers[I] get them.

Ferrari has more wins in the GT2 class in 2006 than Porsche thanks to its F430 GTC.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by micro
Because they want to establish the CTS-V as a race car despite it being a ringer.

I think the question to ask is why doesn't Chevy have Pratt & Miller build customer C6-Rs and Z06s.

Porsche has huge success with the 911 GT3 Cup and GT3 RSR.

Porsche has two factory 997 GT3 RSRs at the 24 Hours of Spa this weekend, but it is their debut race and their only one until next year when [I]privateers[I] get them.

Ferrari has more wins in the GT2 class in 2006 than Porsche thanks to its F430 GTC.
Thanks for the info. I can't imagine why they would rather focus on a 4-door caddy as a race car than a corvette, which pretty much already is a race car right from the factory. It's almost like the big dollar porsche and ferrari guys paid chevy off or something, lol. They don't want a car costing 1/3 of what their cars cost beating them on the track. I know these cars as they build them up are a far cry from what they are from the factory, but still...The Z06 certainly seems the better platform to start from.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:31 PM
jlucas
Racer

I can't imagine why they would rather focus on a 4-door caddy
Purchasing department goofed and they had an extra supply of 6 lug hubs.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:56 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

The Z06 certainly seems the better platform to start from.
IIRC, think the SCCA doesn't allow its aluminum chassis.

I do know that one team has raced a few Speed GT races with two Aston Martin DBRS9s and those have an aluminum chassis.

Get notified of new replies

To New to this section...How'd the C5 do in competition last year??

Quick Reply: New to this section...How'd the C5 do in competition last year??