Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

race seat and air bag question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:07 AM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default race seat and air bag question

I recently installed a race seat in my '02 ZO6. It has a provision for the OE belt receptacle, so I can use the factory three point belt for occasional street driving. When I do this, I get no warning lights of any sort, but I want to be sure the airbag is functional, since I don't want to do any street driving without it. The factory seat has an electrical connection to the female belt receptacle which, I suppose, could be integrated with the air bag system. Switching seats is not really a problem, but I had intended on simply leaving the race seat in, since I don't drive it that much on the street. If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate your help.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:39 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless the airbag indicator lamp is on while you are driving the air bag should be operational. Mine is on all the time, but I dont have the stock steering wheel and airbag.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:32 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Danny is correct.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:43 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Thanks folks, I was hoping that to be the case. I'm not too concerned on track, with HANS, but I'm a believer in the benefit of the bag for street driving.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elh0102
I recently installed a race seat in my '02 ZO6. It has a provision for the OE belt receptacle, so I can use the factory three point belt for occasional street driving. When I do this, I get no warning lights of any sort, but I want to be sure the airbag is functional, since I don't want to do any street driving without it. The factory seat has an electrical connection to the female belt receptacle which, I suppose, could be integrated with the air bag system. Switching seats is not really a problem, but I had intended on simply leaving the race seat in, since I don't drive it that much on the street. If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate your help.
I have an 01, but I keep the electical connection for the actual belt clip in tact, and it works by shutting off the light when I put my seat belt on. You can disconnect the power seat without disconnecting the connection to the seat belt clip. I also mounted this clip onto the hardbar aluminum rails that I have my EVO connected to an have the upper portion mounted to my Hardbar harness bar. Everything works perfect and I have been through NJ state inspection.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 AM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I have an 01, but I keep the electical connection for the actual belt clip in tact, and it works by shutting off the light when I put my seat belt on. You can disconnect the power seat without disconnecting the connection to the seat belt clip. I also mounted this clip onto the hardbar aluminum rails that I have my EVO connected to an have the upper portion mounted to my Hardbar harness bar. Everything works perfect and I have been through NJ state inspection.
I'm not quite following you. The connector to which the seat belt receptacle attaches is, I think (can't see it right now), bundled with the wiring for the power seat, so how are you completing that circuit? I'm not getting either a belt or bag light, and as long as the bag is functional, I don't think I have a problem. Am I missing something?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:24 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the power seat wiring wrapped up laying on the floor, but I still have the wiring connector plugged into the seat belt clip that can be removed from the stock seat. So my belt light goes off when I click my stock seat belt in the clip.

I have never had any other lights come on or go off because of this. I don't see what the power seat controls have to do with the Airbag anyway.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:01 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I have the power seat wiring wrapped up laying on the floor, but I still have the wiring connector plugged into the seat belt clip that can be removed from the stock seat. So my belt light goes off when I click my stock seat belt in the clip.

I have never had any other lights come on or go off because of this. I don't see what the power seat controls have to do with the Airbag anyway.
I understand now. I'm too lazy to take the wiring harness off the stock seat, and since everything seems fine, I'll leave it as is. I expected to get a seatbelt light with mine, since there is no wiring connnected, but I don't; go figure. I assume the power seat controls have nothing to with the airbag, it's just that the belt receptacle wire is in the same bundle. But, changing light bulbs is a test of my electronics expertise.

Get notified of new replies

To race seat and air bag question

Quick Reply: race seat and air bag question