Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying C6Z seats for harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Modifying C6Z seats for harnesses

I have a harness bar and 6point harnesses installed in my C6Z. I researched racing seats, but have decided to modify the existing seats for now. A local interior company will be doing the work next week.

Has anyone here done this?

Most importantly, did you reinforce the fiberglass seat after cutting?

Thoughts?

Chris
Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure the holes will be in the proper place for the correct angle on the shoulder straps. My seat isn't here to sit in now, but I believe the slots would be too low. I know racing seats can be a pain to install in these cars, but I did it in my C5Z, and I've been very satisfied (not a daily driver). Good luck; hope it works for you.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:32 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

What are you wanting to do? Autox only, occasional DEs, or more serious stuff?

I changed out my C5 stock seat leathers for sport seat leathers. Based on what I've seen I think you could do the same with C6 seats. This will let you run the shoulder straps through the cutouts under the headrest.

I've done mine and a friends FRCs: takes about 1-2 hours to do both seat (backs, the bottoms are identical). No fiberglass work involved.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks.

Currently doing about 1 HPDE per month. So, for now I am just going to cut the seats and not worry about reinforcing. If it gets more serious, I'll look to changing the seats.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by forhamilton
Thanks.

Currently doing about 1 HPDE per month. So, for now I am just going to cut the seats and not worry about reinforcing. If it gets more serious, I'll look to changing the seats.
*Phew* without the extra bolsters I should be faster than you in the corners. No door slaming!!

I'll keep an eye out for you...in my rear view mirror!! (j/k)

Overall sounds like a good idea; had I not needed head room I'dve gone that route!!

Aren't you coming to TMS on the 12th?

JK
Old 07-31-2006, 11:09 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jkonkle
*Phew* without the extra bolsters I should be faster than you in the corners. No door slaming!!

I'll keep an eye out for you...in my rear view mirror!! (j/k)

Overall sounds like a good idea; had I not needed head room I'dve gone that route!!

Aren't you coming to TMS on the 12th?

JK
All depends. Found out my REAL brake problem. Went to install the re-built calipers and found the left outer tie rod end was MELTED! Upon further inspection, it appears the rotor has been rubbing the A arm. So, tie rod is trashed, rotors are trashed and God knows what else. Talked with Anthony a couple of times today. I am probably going to take my car to them this weekend so they have ample time to diagnose and correct all the problems before the 12th.

Back to the seat though. I think eventually I will probably get a race seat. I was actually trying to be economical for once.

See you soon.

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Modifying C6Z seats for harnesses

Quick Reply: Modifying C6Z seats for harnesses