Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time on road course

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1st time on road course

I just ran my first road course yesterday w/my C6 Z51 402stroker.
It was a PDA event and we were on the North course. It was so ridiculously fun, words cannot describe the experience.

On the first run, I was not able to run with an instructor,as no one was available. I was scared to death, and just drove around the track. Miata's were passing me! On the next session, I went out with an instructor, and it made all the difference. In fact without the instructor, I don't think I would have enjoyed the day much. It was like a light switch went on after the session with the instructor. The rest of the day was very, very fun.

Are there any other events coming up for Pocono w/the Corvette guys?

Has anyone run the long course?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage7
It was a PDA event and we were on the North course. It was so ridiculously fun, words cannot describe the experience.

On the first run, I was not able to run with an instructor,as no one was available. I was scared to death, and just drove around the track. Miata's were passing me! On the next session, I went out with an instructor, and it made all the difference. In fact without the instructor, I don't think I would have enjoyed the day much. It was like a light switch went on after the session with the instructor. The rest of the day was very, very fun.

I just did my first road course (Barber) 3 weeks ago. Instructors are key!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

long course is great and fast! Bat turn going into the infield near 160 down the front straight and over 160 down the back straight.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-04-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
long course is great and fast! Bat turn going into the infield near 160 down the front straight and over 160 down the back straight.

How fast do you take the banked turn after the straight by the pits? How about the turn after the 2nd straight going into the infield?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

NASCAR Turn 1 best is 125 if I feel stupid. Tunnel Turn which after the second straight is 120 -125 it is easier now with no infamous Tunnel Turn bump or so they say. Bump never bothered me much and I kind of miss it. Turning to the infield is like a u-turn on a 4 lane highway. Can't even look at speedo for that. Hard to look at the speedo on any of the turns. Turn 1 I down shift to 4th tap the brakes lightly then accelerate just after I enter the turn. High line seems faster and there are markers in the road to give you reference points. You can slide the car around that turn. I come out in second gear where most everyone is in third and I put some distance on them there. PDA is there Aug 18 19 20 Viper Club is there Aug 17 for the long course. You get some good time with them but it is 325 and not crowded. There may be 50 cars total.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the addiction - it will only get worse....

Despite some of what I have seen about "HPDE Instructors" and "school lines" I do think it is key to have a good instructor to have a good time on the track as a newbie...or even as an experienced guy....

I have had some guys who were sent out on the track without any instructors with one organization and then signed up with another organization at the same track for two more days. It took a while to break their bad habits and get them faster on the track...

Learn the basics, learn your car, have a good time, and keep your credit card handy!

jeff
Old 08-04-2006, 11:57 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing my first PDA at Pocono on Aug18, Friday. I've run the East Course on a Ducati...much fun but very tight. I can't wait until I can really let the Z stretch it's legs...
-ace
Old 08-05-2006, 06:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

with Vark. Welcome to the addiction. Crack and cocain would be cheaper, But the fun we have
Old 08-05-2006, 11:17 AM
monkeymaker
Advanced

Got that right about track driving being an addiction! By the middle of my first day (after I got over the very humbling experience of the first 2 sessions) I was totally hooked. Had so much fun that first day that I went up to the track office and asked if there were any HPDE groups running the next two days. There were and I stayed for both! I must have had a 8 or 10 instructors over those first 3 days, and each of them helped a great deal not only with technique but with track awareness, looking way ahead, proper seat position, on and on...

I came out of it a certifiable track junky, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:13 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you had a good time. There is so much to learn, and it's a very absorbing hobby/obsession. Friendly advice begins next; skip it if you like!
1) Find a good support network. Friends, GF, wife, if they support you it makes it all more fun. Get other folks involved in our sport. Heck, just one track session with a decent instructor will make anyone a better driver on the street.
2) If you don't like an instructor, or you can't seem to communicate, seek out the event organizer, and tell them at once. Don't wait. Personality conflicts are more common than you might think, and some folks just don't gel. If you wait until after the event, you don't do anyone any good.
3) Get as much seat time as you can. Seat time is the best mod you can do to make you go faster, IMHO.
4) When you do change your car, make changes one at a time. If you change, say, tires and suspension at the same time, you'll be relearning the car, and it'll be harder. Patience, both approaching turns and approaching mods is a virtue. Happy motoring!
--Yak
Old 08-05-2006, 03:51 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

On the first run, I was not able to run with an instructor,as no one was available. I was scared to death, and just drove around the track.
They let you out by yourself with "0" previous experience? I keep hearing scary shi+ like that and guys running heavily modified engines with no roll bar much less cage. Not slamming you. But it seems its getting to be a free-for-all out there.... or maybe my club (COM) is just stricter than others.

Last edited by turtlevette; 08-05-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Yes, I went out without an instructor for my 1st session. There were only about 18-25 cars total for the day, and they were split into 3 groups (not by experience). Actually, I think it happened by "getting lost in the mix" so to speak.

I was cautious and just kept waving everyone by ( I had to remember to slow down in the straights because I had more power than 99% of the cars). I know I was on everyone's nerves during the 1st session, but I did the best I could to stay out of everyone's way.

I could see if I were a reckless driver out there for the 1st time without an instructor, I could have hurt myself or someone else.

Good point. Luckily all turned out well. I think about 3 people washed off the track into the runoff all day, and thankfully I was not one of them.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

To the members posting advice, please keep it coming. It is very much appreciated.

If the weather holds out, I'll be running with the Vipers on the 17th. If I mod the stock brakes w/ SS lines, fresh flush w/synthetic Dot 4, Wilwood H pads, will they hold up without much fade? I'm not looking for more power ( I didn't use 1/2 of it Thur), I'm looking for more safety right now. They are running the long course which carries much more speed and will be harder on the brakes and equipment.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I should be there if you need anything. As you are just starting your brakes will be fine. What Duke do you have?

mixed up with ace996 guess it's a 996 Ducati

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-05-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeymaker
I came out of it a certifiable track junky, and I couldn't be happier.
We are ALL certifiable, that is for sure.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

I should be there if you need anything. As you are just starting your brakes will be fine. What Duke do you have?
You'll be there the 17th with the Vipers? Is PDA running the long course on the 18th?
I look fwd to meeting you.

I'm not sure what you mean by: "What Duke do you have?"
Old 08-05-2006, 09:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I think all course Friday, double infield Sat. and Sunday long course.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st time on road course

Old 08-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by varkwso
Welcome to the addiction - it will only get worse....
what addiction...I'm not addicted...I can stop any time I want to...I just don't want to...besides, it's not hurting anyone...what, no I didn't spend my whole life savings racing, just half...well, I had to save some for next season...

Old 08-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

I think all course Friday, double infield Sat. and Sunday long course.
Sorry John, I'm a bit slow with the naming and lingo.

What does "all course Friday" mean? Does it mean all of the road courses are being run, including the long course? I'm trying to decide if I should skip the Viper day and run w/PDA. My constraint is I want to run the long course.

Also what did you mean by "Duke"?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:24 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Sorry John, I'm a bit slow with the naming and lingo.

What does "all course Friday" mean? Does it mean all of the road courses are being run, including the long course? I'm trying to decide if I should skip the Viper day and run w/PDA. My constraint is I want to run the long course.

Also what did you mean by "Duke"?

Thanks in advance.

The long course with Viper club is less crowed and PDA is sold out on Sat check the web site. Duke = Ducati motorcycles. Long course is hard to crowd in any case. Not 100% sure on PDA ALL MEANING give them a buzz or email. PDA is cheaper than the Viper Club.

Quick Reply: 1st time on road course