Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy Rev it Up-MIAMI

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 PM
marshallp
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Rev it Up-MIAMI

Did anyone see the Corvette go up in flames at the Chevy Rev It Up program last Sat in Miami? My wife and I went to CRiU and was not impressed with the driving instructors to say the least. I know they are trying, but to crash a C6 with a passenger then have it go up in flames is not professional. It's not Chevy's fault, but the company running the program AMCI.

After the crash, we went back to ask for our $ back and they were rude. I feel bad for the passenger in the crash. Did anyone else see the crash?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:01 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-07-2006, 01:48 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

What did they run into?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Just to make sure I understand, the instructor was driving when they wrecked?

I ask because the one RIU I went to (didn't drive, just watched) always had an instructor in the right seat.

In any case, Yikes!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
marshallp
5th Gear

Yes the instructor was driving. The course layout was fast and who know's what happened. All I know is that a new car is now gone and burned. It's a bad thing to happen to anyone.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Holy Crap a Moly---------

I was there on Saturday, finished 11th out of 643, which was much better than my mazda finish last year 400 something out of 1200.

Anyway wow !

Details on the accident............

This event was much less crowded than last year rev it up. The regular C6 automatic SUCKED ! Traction control could not be defeated.

I had signed up on line for the karting, but when I saw that the circular course was 10 yards, I then applied the $10 I prepaid for the kart, to the racing line practice with the Cobalt. Also when I saw the C6Z06, ride with a pro driver take off in pretty much in a straight line like a bat out of hell, and then come back through a salom, I passed on this, that I prepaid, and also applied it to another racing line run in the Cobalt. Might have been a tad dangerous as trees were relatively close on the way out, and my C5Z06 is quicker through the salom, and probably just about as quick in a straight line.(2900 lbs, 394 rwhp---thanks to Mr. Popp.

THAT AND THE RIDE--Danny gave me in my car on I-74 or whatever Interstate that passes by McClusky in Cinci,was way more intense then that ride in the C6Z06 looked, as DANNY SCARED THE EVER LOVING CRAP OUT OF ME ! We were flying like a bat out of hell and must have been doing about 105mph-to 110mph at the peak, when we flew by a guy in a black Impala, or a black something. I remember that the car we rocketed by was black, because when we slowed down on the off ramp, this guy passes us honking and giving us a big thumbs up sign. That's about the time I wet myself, and finally yelled to Danny, "That's enough I BELIEVE YOU ! The car is very very fast now. Don't do that again ! (I think I said that after the 3rd time !). I must have blacked out after the first two.

Itchy *****
Lehman
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
This event was much less crowded than last year rev it up. The regular C6 automatic SUCKED ! Traction control could not be defeated.
Thanks. I won't be wasting my time with this when it comes to Chicago.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:13 AM
johnei
Racer

Thanks I'm going early Saturday to the Chicago event too. Hopefully the C6Z I'm supposed to be riding in won't crash and burn. Doing carts too but maybe I'll see what the course is first.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Brembo93
4th Gear

Default You need more info...

Marshall,
Your information is not correct about the accident onsite. I too was at the event and to incinuate that AMCI and their pro driver is to blame for the accident is borderline slanderous. I've been to several events that AMCI has put on for a myriad of manufacturers and not one of them was disappointing.
I'm not sure if you're a racer or not but in racing...accidents happen. They're caused by a number of factors including weather, vehicle condition, driver input etc... What I'm trying to get across is that it would be better to get the facts straight before you blame the driver, the company or even Chevrolet. It was a hell of an event and those boys were working hard out there.
Most importantly, both people walked away from a very scary accident. Thank God for that.

Brembo...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:21 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Brembo,

With all due respect, RIUs are to introduce people to the sport, not compete. It is the instructor's blame, simply because he's the one driving the car. It's not the passenger, car, or even the course layout. Period.

And no, I didn't see it. I don't have to. When I autox or run at a track event, what happens to my car is my responsibility, period.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-10-2006, 12:43 AM
marshallp
5th Gear

Thank you VetteDrmr for putting it right. The feel event is NOT a RACE. But a way to introduce new and old people, fans, car people, etc... into the World of Chevy, being a Corvette, Cobalt, or any GM product.

Do accidents happen? Of course. Any time you put a vechicle too it's limits, things do happen. But do we need to put a vechicle at one of these events too the limit? Racing yes....fun driving event????

But the goal I would think is to keep a safe event as much as possible. Especially whan you have the public involved. A few quetions I asked to myself while watching the event.

Doing 100mph in a parking lot with limited run off...Is that safe?

Log book on the cars? Race cars have a current log book with notes in it from mechanical or crash related issues. Did these?

How often are the cars being looked at during the event? Performance cars (race cars, track cars, etc...) are always being attended too and adjusted during a race weekend, track event, auto-x etc.... to fit the course-track conditions and adjusted to the driver driving style. Where these adjustments looked at during the course of the day? If so, how many times?

Mechanics? What is their background?

What qualifies the driver to be a PRO? Did that driver hold a FIA, IMSA, SCCA PRO, Grand Am etc...pro license? Was he a current Skippy, Bob B., etc...instructor?

Again, these are questions I just ask myself. Being a fan of these programs too, I think these programs are great and I hope they continue on. It is a positive way for the public to see, experience and feel a world we all love. I just hope we as a industry or public don't screw it up. As you know, insurance, tracks, parking lots, etc...are becoming harder and harder to find. Plus you add in all the legal issues....

On a personal note...I feel the car does not magically loses control. A car reacts to driver input. And if the the car crashes, who is to blame? Usually I hate to say it's the drivers fault. Being mechanical or driver error, the person behind the wheel is the one in charge.

I hope AMCI and Chevy have a great relationship for the future. The program is fun, exciting, and a great way for a car company to market themselfs. These events also help show the world what a great sport this really is.

Last edited by marshallp; 08-10-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Brembo93
4th Gear

I still disagree...but have noticed you seem to know a fair bit about events, especially automotive ones in general. Where did you establish this information?

How do you know that there aren't vehicle log books for each vehicle?

How do you know the mechanics on site aren't certified technicians?

How do you know how many times a vehicle is evaluated?

Your statements lead me to beleive that you have something against Chevrolet...Do you?

You also mentione that "we as an industry enjoy" these events...I'm not part of that world are you?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
johnei
Racer

I went to the early Saturday session here in Chicago this past weekend and a few interesting things happened.

We waited for 90 minutes for the ambulance to show up before anyone was allowed in any car to drive. So they do take safety seriously, but the local ambulance (seemed connected to the horse track we were at) needs some help.

There were no Z06 hot laps do to limited space.

I also noticed a few of the techs checking the oil in the C6s before the SS test drive. One had it's chrome wheel replaced with a non matching painted one too.

The signs in front of every driver section listed the qualifications of the Pro/ Instructor. I didn't spend a lot of time reading all of them but the few I did look at seemed fairly well qualified with driving school instructor experience.

I don't know if these cars had log books or what kind of maintenance schedule or inspections they went through but the event didn't seem amateurish.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
marshallp
5th Gear

Mr. Brembo,

I started out many years ago as a Indy/CART Mechanic. Now I work as an engineer for a Champ Car team. I got into this world by the love of cars and the great people within this sport. I came over from the U.K. and I love this county. So much I married a American Girl who now works in NASCAR.

How I established this information or thought process is based on 15 plus years in the autoracing/automotive world. We live in Indy and I was on a brief holiday that weekend and we attended the event with some friends.

Regarding Log books, I hope you have them to cover yourself.

Mechanics....I hope they are certified for legal sake.

Vechicles...good question. But what I saw I have have to wonder. Especially on the public course. People were driving like they stole it and I saw a few cars really hit a few big cones and drag them in to the staging/pit area. But that said, I'm sure the problems can be fixed.

Chevy...I love them. They are the heartbeat of America. What they produce meets the public very well.

As a industry...Negitive, I left the general automotive world to pursue a world in autoracing many years ago. Let me re-word "industry" meaning the public who enjoys 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

The point I'm trying to make is that a car is a weapon if not driven and cared for in a professional and personal manner. I'm just concerned that automotive driving companies sometimes forget this. Maybe not on the driving side. The instructors seem to have certain knowledge and I do reconginze one or two names from the support races that attend the Champ Car events. But the point or thought is that I'm thinking these events are not a "Disneyland" on wheels. As you are aware, the legal system in the U.S. is sometimes not fair and god forbid the legal system really comes down on this world, being the driving side, production, behind the scenes, etc.... And if they do, we can kiss these type of fun programs good-bye.

I'm for these events, since they help the automotive/racing world.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prepaid to go to RIU in NY this weekend - it's a 4 hour ride. Mazda zoom zoom live is close and the same day.

This thread is making me wonder if I shoud skip Revitup and check out Mazda's event instead.
For you guys that attended RIU this year - did you think it worth it?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:59 PM
marshallp
5th Gear

Please attend the Chevy Rev it Up....

I'm just pointing out certain things I saw at MIAMI. It looks like they have addressed the potential problems at Chicago and I applaud them.

Go have fun, give it a hoot, and have fun. Remember, the car world is a great place to be and exciting part of life.

Enjoy....
Old 08-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Brembo93
4th Gear

marshall,
thanks for the clarity on the issue, i get the fact that you like these events and are in support. i just know from experience that the blame game a day after the incident only pours gas on the flame.

like you, i'd highly recommend RIU to anyone as it does a great job at teaching fundamental skills in some pretty surprising cars from chevy.

cheers mate!

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy Rev it Up-MIAMI

Quick Reply: Chevy Rev it Up-MIAMI