Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Like to know more about broken aftermarket wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Like to know more about broken aftermarket wheel?

http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101138

Anyone know more on this?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

See the follow up post in the same thread by VELOCITY. Driver of the car was an instructor. Went off at turn 1 - no brakes was stated cause. Speeds can run over 140 at that point on the track. Ran into tire wall over 100 yards off end of track. I saw the car as it was towed back to the trailer, major body damage to right side of car and front suspension. Driver OK but badly shaken.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

same guy was said to have broken a wheel at the Glen

I was there. It was a C5 Z06. Brake failure was blamed. This same car was at Watkins Glen on the 4th of July and had an aftermarket "knockoff" wheel break and nearly caused a crash then.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

well 115 views and no one is telling what kind of wheel broke.

I am running CCWs and they go back to CCW for a check in the winter. I dont care about the cost of shipping for piece of mind that they wheels are in good shape.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheels are just like any other part on the car - it has a certain number of heat cycles and then they need to be replaced. I cracked a Kodiak at Road Atlanta earlier this year, so you have to keep an eye on them all (no matter what brand they are). After every event, take the wheels off, wash them and inspect for any damage or cracking. As light as the new wheels are, you are sacrificing a little bit of longevity for the privilege.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rember guys and gals, you can't see a crack if the wheels are coated with brake dust. Clean and inspect all the time.

Randy
Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I can't imagine entering the braking zone into 1 and realizing you have no brakes...
Been there. Chassed a GT3 a few years ago. We had a few good laps then going into VIR T1, No brakes. Boilded the brake fluid and glazed the bake pads from over heating. The GT3 driver was much better then I, plus I was driving over my head at that time. red mist or something

I used ATE Super Blue, never again.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I don't have much faith in repo wheels from China don't know what broke but they still scare me. Seems no matter what the wheel trucks or SUV's they are mostly from Indonesia or China.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

In looking at the car as it was towed back to the drivers trailer, the wheels appeared to be intact. I do not believe that a broken wheel was the cause of this off track excursion. I did not look at the right side wheels closely where all the damage was done, but the force of impact could have caused a fracture. He hit the first tire wall and went through it and went through the second tire row and came to a stop against the guard rail.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
In looking at the car as it was towed back to the drivers trailer, the wheels appeared to be intact. I do not believe that a broken wheel was the cause of this off track excursion. I did not look at the right side wheels closely where all the damage was done, but the force of impact could have caused a fracture. He hit the first tire wall and went through it and went through the second tire row and came to a stop against the guard rail.

The guy broke the wheel at the Glen in a previous incident not at the lastest VIR incident I believe.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
The guy broke the wheel at the Glen in a previous incident not at the lastest VIR incident I believe.

That is what was stated in the thread. It stated this time the brakes went out at VIR, but in July at WGI he almost lost it there because a wheel broke.

Get notified of new replies

To Like to know more about broken aftermarket wheel?

Quick Reply: Like to know more about broken aftermarket wheel?