Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track event with NASA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track event with NASA?

I'm looking for comments on running with the nasa group. They have an event close to home at summit point coming up and I'd like to run. Any pros or cons with this group? I emailed the event host and they said it is about 75min of track time per day with 25-30 cars per group.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running with NASA Mid Atlantic for about 5 years now so you could say I'm a little biased.

Chris (Cobetto) is crazy in a good way (sings to wake everyone up in the morning) while at the same time is extremely serious about having a safe controlled event.

99.9% of the participants are friendly and more than willing to help out if you need anything.

Overall I would say that you can look forward to a safe enjoyable event.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run once with them up at Putnam Park, IN. Had a good time. There was a little confusion on their side about some of the rules on the track, but once that was finally cleared up things ran smooth. Its a little different then the BWM and Porsche schools, no in car instructor, they kinda expect you to be a level up, ready to hit the track (at least the group I was in, not beginner level). I'd run with them again.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gary96LT4
I've run once with them up at Putnam Park, IN. Had a good time. There was a little confusion on their side about some of the rules on the track, but once that was finally cleared up things ran smooth. Its a little different then the BWM and Porsche schools, no in car instructor, they kinda expect you to be a level up, ready to hit the track (at least the group I was in, not beginner level). I'd run with them again.
That was the Ohio/Indiana - MidWest region which is quite a bit different than the Mid Atlantic (the event at Summit) and the South East regions.

The OH/IN region is under new management this year and still trying to get their act together.

The Mid Atlantic region has instructors in all HPDE I and HPDE II cars and does not allow passing without a point-by in ANY HPDE group.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

NASA mid atlantic web site http://www.nasaracing.net/

Scehdule for the remander of 2006:
http://www.nasaracing.net/sched_regis.htm

Aug. 26-27 Summit Point Raceway
(Main Course)
Open
Sept. 11-17

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
NASA Nationals

Open Soon...
Oct. 14-15 Summit Point Raceway
(Main Course)
Open Soon...
Old 08-10-2006, 07:33 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT1
Chris (Cobetto) is crazy in a good way (sings to wake everyone up in the morning) while at the same time is extremely serious about having a safe controlled event.

'Good Morning, Good Morning. BING BONG. The Offical NASA TIME IS 6:45 AM"
Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Topload
Racer

I've also run with them (once) up at Putnam Park, IN. Had a good time until the engine exploded! And I have to agree with the "little confusion on their side about some of the rules on the track" as stated by Gary, but we got it all cleared up and everything was a-okay. I'd run with them again. Putnam Park is an awesome track - I'd go back........
Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Good group! The fact that they run HDPE, race groups, and time trials at one event is awesome for people getting started. You can try it in HDPE, check out the racing, and decide if you really want to stick with it. As a racer, I'd love a little more track time, but it is a balancing act for everyone.

Rd Atlanta with NASA tomorrow, looking forward to it!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:01 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Will be my first NASA HPDE event, but ...

I've had NASA-certified instructors the last three HPDE's I've done at Summit Pt ... as good as any and better than some (I've done 10 DE days)
I joined NASA last Dec and want to get baselined in my Passport (driver record), so I signed up for this event. I entered Level 1 ... I might get bumped to Level 2 ... we'll see ...
I checked the driver list for the July Hyperfest ... didn't see many corvettes, and none in levels 1 & 2 ... so come on down ... give me some company!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:28 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
I checked the driver list for the July Hyperfest ... didn't see many corvettes, and none in levels 1 & 2 ... so come on down ... give me some company!
We don't seem to get many in HPDE 1 & 2. There are 4 of us that instruct at almost every NASA Mid-Atlantic event. We'll be at Summit for the 26-27 Aug event. We always paddock up together as a group. If you make it come on by and say hi.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:32 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by 96LT1
We don't seem to get many in HPDE 1 & 2. There are 4 of us that instruct at almost every NASA Mid-Atlantic event. We'll be at Summit for the 26-27 Aug event. We always paddock up together as a group. If you make it come on by and say hi.
Thanks ... I'll look for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Track event with NASA?

Quick Reply: Track event with NASA?