Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed GT Facts, Not Sim/Analysis

Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speed GT Facts, Not Sim/Analysis

Through 6 races. Thanks to LG for sending me some info not available on the SWC website

Wins
Corvette - 2 (both by LG)
P-Car - 2
Caddy - 1
Viper - 1

Top 5 Finishes
Viper - 9
Caddy - 8
P-Car - 8
Corvette - 4 (all by LG)
Other - 1

Poles
Corvette - 4 (3 by LG)
P-Car - 1
Viper - 1

Top 5 Qualifiers
Corvette - 8 (5 by LG)
Caddy - 8
Viper - 8
P-Car - 5
Other - 1

Laps led
Corvette - 83 (all by LG?)
P-Car - 30
Viper - 27
Caddy - 12

Fastest Race Laps
Corvette - 3 (all by LG?)
P-Car - 2
Viper - 1

Mfrs Points
P-Car - 38
Caddy - 35
Viper - 30
Corvette - 29

Cars in Drivers Top 10 Points Standings
Viper - 4
P-Car - 3
Caddy - 2*
Corvette - 1* (LG)

* I have added the points won by Johnny O/Fellows/Angelli as if they were a single driver. This would knock Sonny Whelen out of the top 10 and places Caddy drivers 2nd and 7th.

IMO, based on the FACTS, The Corvette has shown superior performance only in poles and laps led (due to LG's performance). With all due respect to the other Corvette drivers, If LG wasn't in the series the Corvette wouldn't even be on SCCA's radar screen.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

It is not uncommon for a specific team to dominate a marque. Archer in a Viper, Angelleli in a Caddi (in 04'), Pobst in a Porsche (02)

Whether it is the driver, or the mechanical abilities of the crew, Lou's team is the superior Vette team. Leighton has been really fast, but continues to have mechanical difficulties, or just rotten luck.

In 02', there were just two of us running Vettes, and I was fastest at most events. Over that winter, SCCA gave 3R VERBAL permission to develop the billet drop spindles and run Carbon bodywork (specifically ILLEGAL in the rule sheet), and so Phil went into 2003 winning the first two races, and getting similar performance deficits given to the rest of us (100lbs extra weight, etc). We were all scratching our heads, until we realized all of the stuff they had been given over the winter.

Anyway, whether Lou is a miracle worker in the car, or in the shop, they have a great combination. I think he will still be competitive with the extra weight, but we'll know soon enough. Unfortunately, at 3250lbs, he's getting close to the point at which mechanical failures become an issue in a Vette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speed GT Facts, Not Sim/Analysis