Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What clutch to use for HPDE's / track days

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Westwopper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What clutch to use for HPDE's / track days

My clutch slipped today. Not sure why. I don't do much to abuse it. I was abusing it when it slipped. I snapped it out at about 3k rpm when my buddy was filming my car to record the sound of my exhaust. This was the first time I had tried to launch the car hard. Every other time I have taken off, I just leave off idle.

My car is a 1998 and the drive train is stock with the exception of the exhaust.

I like to do HPDE's but want to be able to drive the car on the street with out having my left leg go numb. I am also looking for something that will be reliable and not require many rebuilds.

Regards,
Tony
Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You don't say how many miles you have on your car, or if you are the original owner. Prior abuse could have a large impact on your clutch problems. I have found that the stock clutch in the Z06 is perfectly adequate for track days and HPDE. Drag racing is another can of worms entirely. If you are going to replace your clutch, consider upgrading to either the Z06 clutch / flywheel combo or the C6 Z06 setup. Order from one of the forum vendors and have your local Stealership or other quality shop install.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
. I have found that the stock clutch in the Z06 is perfectly adequate for track days and HPDE.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

personally I would upgrade they clutch if you have done engine work. It just seems that the OEM clutch cannot handle the power.

Now the bad news - getting a clutch to work in a vette seems to be hit or miss lately. I have the RPS clutch and love it. The more I beat on it the better it works. that being said someone I know destroyed his clutch in one day at the 1/4 mile track. Others have the same problems with different clutches. Someone puts a clutch in their car and it works. Everyone thinks that is the next greatest clutch, but then the next person puts it in and it fails.

I would ask in C5 Tech what the latest clutch is that is working great. As stated I am very happy with the RPS clutch.

I wish someone would make a very reliable clutch for the vette.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used stock LS-6 clutch with no problem. HPDE don't take powershifting or hammer drops. 450/400
Old 08-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I have used stock LS-6 clutch with no problem. HPDE don't take powershifting or hammer drops. 450/400

yeah I should rephrase my response better to be more focused around hard launches which doesn't happen in HPDEs.

the only thing I dont like about the stock clutch is the feel. For me it is too easy to push in and I like more feedback. I removed the spring and that helped make the travel of the pedal more consistant, but still the resistance was light. When I went to the RPS clutch I now feel that I have a better feel and thus make better shifts.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:18 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

if you want ultimate PERFORMANCE, you could go with a lightweight racing style clutch from Quartermaster. You lose about 50lbs on the rotating mass, and a HUGE amount of Moment-of-inertia. However, it is undrivable on the street.

Realistically, I totally agree that the 02-up Z06 clutch is a great clutch. It can handle lots of power, and should be very durable. I broke one of the 01 z06 clutches, and I understand the newer style is much much better.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

what is the LS6 clutches limit for power? If I were to bump up to 450-460 rwhp could the LS6 handle autoX and HPDEs?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Lancer033
what is the LS6 clutches limit for power? If I were to bump up to 450-460 rwhp could the LS6 handle autoX and HPDEs?

figure the C6 Z06 is coming in around the 440 rwhp mark I would say you are ok with that clutch.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I love my Luk Stage II w/ the 15lb fidanza aluminum flywheel... she really revs fast.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Thank you for all of the responces.

The car has about 27k miles on it.
I am the second owner.
The OE Clutch was replaced at about 500 miles...Gasp
The tires are the pos original GY runflats.

So the LS6 Clutch set up is solid? Should I do a new slave and master cylinder? LS6 set up as well?
I will do an aux bleed line.

The C6 Z06 set up requires a new flywheel. I assume the LS6 does not? Just a fluff and buff for the old flywheel at the local machine shop?

What is the high flow upgrade? Should I be doing that as well? I've read a bit about it, but not quite sure I understand it. Could low pressure given slow response when I snapped out the clutch starting the slipping? If so, I'm sure once it started, I just drove right thru the thing.

I will need to look at it Friday when I get in from work for the week.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,
Tony
Old 08-11-2006, 05:50 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I really like my Spec3+ and alum flywheel. Has stood up well so far to a full season of autocross and HPDEs and even an occasional drag day. Very driveable on the street also.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Westwopper
Thank you for all of the responces.

The car has about 27k miles on it.
I am the second owner.
The OE Clutch was replaced at about 500 miles...Gasp
The tires are the pos original GY runflats.

So the LS6 Clutch set up is solid? Should I do a new slave and master cylinder? LS6 set up as well?
I will do an aux bleed line.

The C6 Z06 set up requires a new flywheel. I assume the LS6 does not? Just a fluff and buff for the old flywheel at the local machine shop?

What is the high flow upgrade? Should I be doing that as well? I've read a bit about it, but not quite sure I understand it. Could low pressure given slow response when I snapped out the clutch starting the slipping? If so, I'm sure once it started, I just drove right thru the thing.

I will need to look at it Friday when I get in from work for the week.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,
Tony
On a '98, I would definitely step up to the later ('01+) master and slaves. The LS6 clutch, as everyone above has said, works well on the street and track as long as you don't "launch" it too much. If you get the LS6 clutch kit, it comes with a new flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc. Some people swear by the aftermarket adjustable master cylinders but I have no experience with them so I can't comment myself.

Here are some part numbers for the parts that you may need:
12570277 Clutch Master Cyl
12570281 Z06 clutch, pplate, flywheel
12565145 2001 Slave Cyl
Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I love my Luk Stage II w/ the 15lb fidanza aluminum flywheel... she really revs fast.
This is the set up I have. It is a beefed up LS6 clutch with lighweight flywheel. Although, I am having problems with it sticking at high RPM.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by 95jersey
This is the set up I have. It is a beefed up LS6 clutch with lighweight flywheel. Although, I am having problems with it sticking at high RPM.
Really... follow my mantra... swap the clutch fluid all the dang time, esp if you have headers.

I have to pull my headers to get them fixed and I'm going to super wrap all the clutch stuffin heat tape and bleed the system w/ motul 600.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:20 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Have the clutch bleeder extension , have wrapped the lines with heat tape, no issues, also bleed the clutch regularly, Am i nstalling a new SPEC3+ and aluminium flywheel this weekend as part of the the motor rebuild. Should have some feedback on that setup in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Really... follow my mantra... swap the clutch fluid all the dang time, esp if you have headers.

I have to pull my headers to get them fixed and I'm going to super wrap all the clutch stuffin heat tape and bleed the system w/ motul 600.

I regularly take the fluid out from the top, clean the reservoir and then replace it. I have found my clutch to work much better since doing this.

Get notified of new replies

To What clutch to use for HPDE's / track days

Old 08-11-2006, 04:35 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also been sucking the fluid from the top and it's a little better but it still sticks at high rpm.

It will do it when the car is just started. It doesn't matter if it's cold or hot, it just does it when the RPM's are high...
Old 08-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the same boat as my hp is going up with a LS2 408 being installed that i expect to come in around 500-525 rwhp and the 10,000 mile Z06 clutch was starting to stick even with changing the fluid when shifting on the track. After talking to a lot of people, I decided on the Cartek clutch because they modify the master cylinder to move more fluid thereby helping the heat problem. The clamping pressure is stronger than stock LS6 but the pedal feel remains similar to stock, and the adjustability is a nice feature is you prefer a catch point higher or lower than stock. It's also priced very attractively.

Cartek Clutch
Old 08-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Thanks for the advice guys.

Scooter70: any idea why the kit comes with a new flywheel? Is it typical to replace it on these cars? Is the LS6 lighter than the LS1 flywheel?

Thanks again, and I'll be sure the wrap up all lines with heat sheilding.

Regards,
Tony

Originally Posted by Scooter70
On a '98, I would definitely step up to the later ('01+) master and slaves. The LS6 clutch, as everyone above has said, works well on the street and track as long as you don't "launch" it too much. If you get the LS6 clutch kit, it comes with a new flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc. Some people swear by the aftermarket adjustable master cylinders but I have no experience with them so I can't comment myself.

Here are some part numbers for the parts that you may need:
12570277 Clutch Master Cyl
12570281 Z06 clutch, pplate, flywheel
12565145 2001 Slave Cyl

Quick Reply: What clutch to use for HPDE's / track days