Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing Brake Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Mixing Brake Fluids

Is it ok to add Motul600 to SuperBlue....???????

Thanks

DH
Old 08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Yes, although you will probably change the dry boiling point if the two products have different dry boiling points.
Bill
Old 08-10-2006, 05:47 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What you DON'T want to do is mix silicone based fluid with regular brake fluid. You end up with a mess. But DOT 3 and 4 fluids can be mixed. As noted, you may end up with a boiling point somewhere between that of the two separately.

But, the question arises -- why mix them? If you have SuperBlue in the system, why not keep the SuperBlue? I use it in all my cars, including the Corvette, and it works great. Unless you are flushing the whole system, IMHO, stick with what you've got in there, if for no other reason than to be consistent. Just my $.02.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yes, although you will probably change the dry boiling point if the two products have different dry boiling points.
Bill
Ok....thanks

I'm having a new engine installed and for some reason they disconnect the brake lines and need to bleed the system. So I got my choice of regular Dot3/4 or Motul600.

I bleed 5 good pumps before each track day so it won't be in there too long. I just wanted to make sure there was no compatiblity issues.

DH
Old 08-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
What you DON'T want to do is mix silicone based fluid with regular brake fluid. You end up with a mess. But DOT 3 and 4 fluids can be mixed. As noted, you may end up with a boiling point somewhere between that of the two separately.

But, the question arises -- why mix them? If you have SuperBlue in the system, why not keep the SuperBlue? I use it in all my cars, including the Corvette, and it works great. Unless you are flushing the whole system, IMHO, stick with what you've got in there, if for no other reason than to be consistent. Just my $.02.

I agree

But as I said above the car is getting a new motor installed and they don't have EVERY brake fluid available......and I can't get down there to give them a can of Super Blue.

I don't even know if the Motul is clear or colored....hopefully I will see it when I bleed and will just bleed it out so I do have consistancy.

DH
Old 08-10-2006, 09:39 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I agree

I don't even know if the Motul is clear or colored....hopefully I will see it when I bleed and will just bleed it out so I do have consistancy.

DH
IIRC, the Motul is a clear golden color. You'll easily spot the difference between the SuperBlue and the Motul.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SRF....awesome stuff, but don't mix it with anything!!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:28 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by forhamilton
SRF....awesome stuff, but don't mix it with anything!!
So just how does one go about switching to SRF with out mixing it a bit?

Get notified of new replies

To Mixing Brake Fluids

Quick Reply: Mixing Brake Fluids