Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To track my C6? my final answer-I think..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 07:00 PM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Default To track my C6? my final answer-I think..

First off, this is a little long, but I am reaching out , and it's cheaper than a Doc.

Thanks to all that offered input and advice on my question regading a track approved roll bar for my 06 vert. So here I am again, coming to the experts I went to Sebring, literly by mistake cause our room in lake placid (florida) was not available a few weeks back. Hotel was over-looking the hair-pin turn. Watched the Porsche "street" cars run the track and that was the problem! I have gone round & round on this one. I fell in love with road racing over the last few years. Did two Panoz race schools at sebring. I have an 06 - A6 - Vert Z51. My wife and I love the new car (built 5/2/06) it has been flawless. I feel I am trying to hard make it a track car, and I probably shouldn't. Sure it can handle and run, but I wash, and Zaino it with great pleasure. I have done several "cosmetic" mods, and a GM aggresive exhaust change. Bottom line, this is OUR baby, we were married 4/1/06 (my first marriage-and yes it was april fools day-a saturday) I know she would agree with me, if push came to shove. I leaned towards a C6-ZO6, that didn't go over to well. Also, I really can't justify the money for a dream "hobby" I don't think I'll wreck the car, I have done a fair amount of track time, but some how it does not feel right. We have talked about this, I am now pretty set on a C6 05, Z51 base model as much as possible that I could modify, maybe 06 if price is right. MN6, coupe of course. I'll be paying cash, and there is no urgentcy, so maybe I can get lucky if someone needs to sell. If I could get a very base, 05, coupe I think it's the best idea, and still a awesome car. The wife said sell the C3, or one of the bikes, and she would understand. I think that's reasonable, there then would also be garage space issues She does not, and will not ride a bike, and I can only ride one bike at a time. I could get about 50-60% of the money from the bike sale, and that's fairly conservitive. It's honestly not needed for the car, but is a valid practical issue, something must, and I agree should go. The money I can save on a base 05-maybe 06 would leave some good bucks for mods to track it. engine, brakes, cooling, wheels/tires. I would be no where near the cost of a C6-ZO6. Other than a forum name change, are there draw backs that I am over looking. Again sorry so long, but I have pondered this too long. Damm that misquided trip to the Sebring track

Last edited by 2HD's2vettes; 08-13-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:11 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Sounds like you have a plan - hope it works out. I'd love to drive Sebring, but I am looking forward to driving VIR.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:21 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Get a 1997 C5 for your track car, and keep the vert.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yup Get a C5 Z06 for the track and keep the vert.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Join us August 20 with Safemotorsports at Sebring and try it before you spend any money.

But I bet that'll just make you want a track car more! I personally track my daily driver with Nitto 555RII's and different brakes. I'm not that fast but I'm not in anyone's way so I have plenty of fun.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Threw a rollbar in my vert for the track. Easy enough to remove if needed.

Get notified of new replies

To To track my C6? my final answer-I think..

Quick Reply: To track my C6? my final answer-I think..