Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR and end of SEDIV full report

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VIR and end of SEDIV full report

VIR and end of SEDIV full report

This was a long, hard year, but well worth the issues we faced. Phil Croyle and I battled all year long and unfortunately for him, he wasn’t able to compete in the season’s finale at VIR. Phil is a fabulous driver and a good friend and it was a huge let down not to be able to settle the SEDIV on the track. Good luck getting everything fixed buddy. That should wrap up the year for both of us other than testing and of course the Runoffs in October.

As far as the VIR results go, I was on the pole and converted that into my 5th National race win of the year, and improved on my own track record. There were no major problems to speak of and everything went as planned. Butch Kummer, my crew chief, did a terrific job and called a great race for me on Sunday!!

As far as a year-end review – Consistency was the key. I managed to win 5 – CMP, Memphis, Road Atlanta, Roebling and VIR. I was not able to find a freakin’ power steering pump to start the 2d race at Roebling in July, but other than that, I had no DNFs and my lowest finish of the year was 3d at Homestead. Phil Croyle had a great run during the middle of the year and was able to win at Roebling and Road Atlanta in March and then Daytona in May. He easily won the 2d race at Roebling in July while I was packing up my broken car, which gave him 4 wins for the year. VIR was to be the shootout for the championship, but it never materialized.

Kumho tires sponsored me the whole year, so big thanks have to go out to Rudy and Mike for their support. Without it, I could not race the whole year! The tires, personnel and whole organization are just first class!!!!

Larry, Dan and Matt at Carbotech make the best Corvette brakes on the planet. With their help, I ran them all year long and my confidence to stop was always 10 out of 10!!!

The biggest turning point in the year though was due mostly to just a casual meeting, tape order and subsequent driving instruction at Mid Ohio which took place LAST year! In 2005, Mike Scornavacchi, a T1 racer in the Northeast Division was just getting into this sport last year and asked me for help. I came up to Mid Ohio, instructed him and gave him plenty of pointers to help get him to the pointy end of the grid. He has some serious talent and will content for many titles in the short future. That turning point I was referring to was when he OFFERED TO BUY ME A NEW ENGINE THIS YEAR!!!!! The engine I had was very poor and it was obviously the weakest part of my car. He did buy me a new 04 crate engine and Kurt Ohmstetter and the rest of Joe Aqualante’s Phoenix Performance guys installed and tuned it. For the 2d time, the Phoenix guys brought my car back to life! Without that, I would not have been able to keep up with Phil! Thanks Mike!!! You da’ best!!!!!! You just never know what events in your life will affect the others!!!!

Rich Shafer’s Cool Shirt remains a very wonderful thing in keeping me frosty thru the hottest of days; and Gary Hoffman’s (Hardbar) input and products are just simply first rate.

My part’s guy, Jerry McKinney at Lawrence Chevy, was a HUGE help to say the least!!!!!

Thanks to my family for your caring and support. My Mom is now officially a cancer survivor!!!! Thank you to all the volunteers who helped assist me during the year – David, Teddy, Chris, and many others!!!

Last, but certainly not least - My crew: Butch Kummer and Michelle (love of my life). Your support of my ‘crack habit’ makes all this possible and so much fun. I could NOT do it WITHOUT YOU! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Yep, we work very well together!!!

Next event is the Runoffs – October at Heartland Park, Topeka, KS! C U all there!!!!!!

Qual: It was about 85 during qualifying today after some intermittent rain showers for most of the morning:

me - 2:05.26

Jorge Narario - 2:09.65

Joseph Gaudette - 2:10.52

Steve Epley - 2:11.43

Michael Filistovich - 2:17.60

Love VIR!!!!!!!!!!!

RACE:

T1

Chris Ingle 2:06.86

Jorge Nazario 2:09.39

Steve Epley 2:09.25

Joe Gaudette 2:10.22

Michael Filistovich DNF
Old 08-14-2006, 10:58 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Thanks ...

Thanks for posting up, and contratulations ...
I noted Joe Gaudette's times ... good to see Joe doing well in his Rookie year.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:24 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Chris, congratulations!!!

As a corollary, Mike Scornavacchi won the T-1 race at Pocono on Saturday, August 5th. I was spotting for the PA announcer and watched the entire race from the tower.

Congratulations to Mike on a well-earned win.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 08-14-2006, 11:36 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

2:05s and :06? Holy crap that's fast.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Good job. Sounds like a great season. Now, lets see what happens in Oct.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Teddy98Z28M6
Pro

Congrats on a great SEDIV finish! I’m very impressed with what you are doing on a shoe string budget. It was very neat to see what SCCA T1 racing is about and provide some help/support at Road Atlanta. If I had the time and money, I would be all over it.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris,

Congrats on your win and the hard fought SEDiv championship. It's ashamed that Phil and Tim had incidents but I have no doubt they will be back stronger!

It was great to race you guys even though I drove the most horrible race I have had this year. How is it that the last race of my rookie year I drive like, well, a rookie!! LOL. I felt really good coming into this weekend, finally having all the issues of this year with my car worked out and coming to a track that I have been on before. After the first practice I felt really good, turning a 2:08.3 lap time on used tires. I would never get that back again. My qual time was slower, my race time was slower. After a full season of being very timid on green flags starts I was focused on the green like never before. I actually had a great start, grabbing 2nd in T1 from Nazario going through Turn 1. He grabbed the spot back under braking into Oak tree and i knew it was going to be one heck of a race for 2nd through 4th because Epley was right in us. Epley overpowered me on the back straight and I tucked in for 4th knowing it was a long race and I had time. a couple laps later my impatience bit me when I tried a late braking move on Eply into 1, dropped the driver front onto the grass and then the entire car followed. I didn't spin and entered the track right behind Epley again, but somehow the traction control system had activated ( my elbow may have hit it, who knows ). I spent the next 1/2 lap trying to get the damn thing turned off but by then Epley had checked out chasing Nazario.

It took me a while to get my focus back after getting passed by a ton of cars when I blew Oak tree and the top guys in T2 shot by me. Man, was it a bad race for me! I spent the next few laps making it a point of not finishing behind any T2 cars ( not important for anything except my sanity! ) but not interefering with thier race. For the few minutes I followed them I watched a heck of a run, props to Marty, Rob and Henderson for a great 3 way race.

I finished up with no car issues, perhaps just a bad alignment now from all of my offs, nothing big though. For the first time this year my car was perfect, the problems were all me. This was my last race of the year, I was hoping for a 2nd place finish because I would have grabbed my 8th spot for NEDiv points back, it looks as though I will finish 9th now.

In looking back on my rookie year, I am proud to have completed the 2 most important goals of the year. 1. Make it to the Runoffs on a very competitive NEDiv. 2. Gain the trust of my competitors as well a a hint of respect by showing that I can race safely and clean, and not putting any part of my car on any part of anothers. Period. I also round the season out with 2 regional races and 6 National races with no DNF's or DNS's, and a 2nd place podium finish at Memphis, my best finish of the year. I am very happy with that.

Again to Chris congrats on your Championship! Congrats to Marty and his "Va. Tagged" EVO on his first national T2 win, and of course Stan for the T3 win, I hope someday to experience that feeling!

Thanks to all of my friends and competitors for all the pointers and help this year, especially Brad Neff, Dave Pintaric ( and the Kryder crew ) and Chris Ingle. The faith these guys have in me is amazing! Joe A. and the entire Phoenix crew have helped keep my car running even after all of the problems! I have to thank Dan and all the guys at Carbotech for some awesome brakes, my Turn 1 off may have been a lot worse had I not had those 12's on the front! Awesome brakes!

Rhonda and I hope to see you all at the Runoffs! Topeka here we come!

Joe Gaudette

#86 NEDiv T1
Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Way to go Chris. You and Michelle have made the sacrifices and earned every bit of your success. Best of luck on the Nats.

Wally
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Big congrats Chris, you did in the old fashioned way, you earned it! All of that and you help keep us safe as well, thanks, we all owe you.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Great job. Congrats and awesome times at VIR
Old 08-15-2006, 10:47 AM
gpm30236
Racer

congrads Chris, Gr8 job,

enjoyed hanging out with you at Sebring for that ill fated viper days.

Good luck at the finals and will look forward to seeing you on track next year .
Old 08-15-2006, 02:48 PM
woosch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!!! Congrats Chris!!

Always glad to help out when I can, just let us know when you are down this way.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR and end of SEDIV full report

Quick Reply: VIR and end of SEDIV full report