Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating my headers... goood or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Ceramic coating my headers... goood or bad?

This quote came from Chuck at HPE... what do you all think? I was about to order Kooks race headers (no AIR tubes) and have them ceramic coated to keep under hood temps down a bit. Should help keep everything far cooler.
Originally Posted by Sales@HPE
Another thing we could go into is coatings, and how much I dislike them on headers Ceramic coated headers always seem to cause detonation. Why? Well everybody jumps on this bandwagon of wanting to keep underhood temps down. Which is great, I love it, whatever you can do to keep underhood temps down is going to help make the motor produce more power. But what we're doing by ceramic coating the headers is we are locking that heat inside the exhaust... Not allowing it to dissipate... This heat now acts as an agent in producing detonation. Almost every car I've ever tuned that had ceramic coated headers, was not able to take as much ignition timing as a car with uncoated stainless steel headers. So the power was greatly reduced because instead of tuning for all out power, I had to tune for detonation. Extra fuel, and less timing... Things that have a great effect on what kinds numbers your car will put down on the dyno, and at the track.

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300
Old 08-14-2006, 02:37 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
This quote came from Chuck at HPE... what do you all think? I was about to order Kooks race headers (no AIR tubes) and have them ceramic coated to keep under hood temps down a bit. Should help keep everything far cooler.
We had ours coated by swain inside and out. The idea I thought was to retain the heat in the headers tubes creating more velocity thus creating more power by evacuating the exhaust faster and increasing the "scavange" effect. I dont know his expertise and I am sure he is more in the know than myself but these were the reasons we opted to coat inside and out.
AL
Old 08-14-2006, 02:38 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't keeping the heat inside the pipe until the exit the goal, and to make the most power? That just what racers have been doing since I rember. But I guess everyone can be wrong.

Randy
Old 08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Thanks... I'm going to proceed with my plan =)
Old 08-14-2006, 03:01 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Unless you need those 2 extra ponies, getting the heat out of the engine bay and the foot well is a good idea

I have ceramic TPIS, minimal heat in the foot wells.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:43 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I think it would be best if he could quantify how much he's taking out of the timing between the 2 header types mentioned.

Personally I dont see any reason to not have them coated in/out, it really makes temps drop.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I used to have the original style LG Longtubes with JetHot coating. The LGs broke at the collectors so I replaced them with 1 7/8" Kooks. I emailed Kooks about ceramic coating and they replied that they do not recommend ceramic coating on their stainless steel C5 headers. FWIW.

Heat has not been a problem with the coatless Kooks.
The ceramic looked better.

joel

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic coating my headers... goood or bad?

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating my headers... goood or bad?