Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone bag tires between events?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does anyone bag tires between events?

I bought new wheels and v710s, ran them Saturday but won't use them for 4 weeks. They are now in a dry garage - does race tire care require putting them in plastic bags when they are off the car?

Thanks, and well, anyone whose answered some of my recent questions - it's all paid off for me. I really appreciate the help, advice, tech info, and opinions from you all.

It's priceless - thank you!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have way too much time, and way too many garbage bags then sure !

But if you want to get the max life out of them and keep them fresh then you might consider throwing them or rather placing them in a swimming pool with a high base ph balance, with not a lot of chlorine in the pool as this might change the color of your wheels.

This is what the pros do to extend tire life when they are on a budget. As it is just too damn hard to get those wheels off the bottom of the pool.

Should last about twice as long as regular, read on land tires, because it really is a pain taking them back out of the pool.

------------------------------------------------------
Or you might just take the wheels and tires off, and cover them with a tarp you can buy at Wal-mart. If you won't use the car again, that is until you track it just leave them on, but coat them with Suntan lotion SPF 50.

ps---the pool and lotion idea were jokes
Old 08-15-2006, 07:28 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I'd just put them somewhere cooler than the garage - didn't see where you're located, but mine gets into the 140's during the day.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Once the mold release is removed after the first use no. Besides those tires most likely sat in a 100* warehouse for several weeks before some one purchased them.

Just put them in a cool place on their sides.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

One of the drivers at the last event suggested it - he was serious. Thanks.

Last edited by Barbara_S; 08-15-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 PM
ace996
Pro

bagging is something I did when I sauced my tires with VPBite or Formula V. After soaking the tires with 4 coats of softener, they were bagged and stored until the night before the next event. I took them out and let them "dry". The saucing of the tires made a great difference, as they were over-cooked, as the VPBite brought them back from the dead...but only for a few runs. After 4-5 runs, they were toast again.

The juice allows you to stretch a set of tires that still have rubber but have cycled past the point of grip.

That's the only reason why I bagged them.
-ace
Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
The juice allows you to stretch a set of tires that still have rubber but have cycled past the point of grip.

That's the only reason why I bagged them.
-ace
Stuff smells good doesn't it?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just store them in a cool, dry place in the garage, on their sides. You don't want them standing up as they can flat-spot on you. I stack mine, 2-high, in the back corner of the garage and put a thin fabric cover over them. It's mostly sunlight and heat that kill the tires. Unless you are storing them for years, you really don't have to do anything special to them to keep them in decent condition. Also, check the air pressure before putting them away. You don't want them to be over-inflated.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

VERY VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always place tires in the middle of your living room covered by:

1) Fine Egyptian Cotton Sheets---Thread count 450 and up

2) A down comforter----ideallly black on both sides to absorb light
---------------------------------------------------------

Make sure that everyone knows your cell #, as you won't be at home for some time. As you will be in the "nut house" for putting your tires in your living room, under fine linens.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Good luck all you crazy sons-a-bi-tches
Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Now where am I supposed to park the car if I have to put the tires in the middle of the living room? And dang, they are all wet now, I had no pool, but I tried following your earlier advice as close as possible. I put them in the neighbor's hot tub. Fortunately the neighbors are away for a month so I thought it would be OK.

I''ll see if I can get them now. But gee, the garage is just full of Mustang parts, no room for the Corvette. I guess I can put that stuff out on the lawn for the kids to play on.

Thanks for your great advice sir.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone bag tires between events?

Quick Reply: Does anyone bag tires between events?