Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRC/Z06 compared to coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:12 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default FRC/Z06 compared to coupe

I had a ride yesterday at Grattan in a 405hp Z06 with slicks. While I realize its not worlds different than my 2000 couple with 460hp and a complete Z06 suspension it did have a more spry feel to it.

I have been driving more and more with my roof on the car compared to when I first got it I drove all the time with the roof off. I originally was going to get a FRC/Z06 but it was the removeable roof panel that made me go coupe.

Times change A trunk would be nice as would a lighter over all car. I have a huge stereo, all the bells and whistles, etc. Yes I could yank the car apart but with prices today it doesn't seem worth it and no point in tearing apart a professionally built car that has run flawlessly.

I thought of selling it and picking up a FRC or Z06. What I am concerned about are the differences in the car MINUS the motor.

I don't care about the HP of the motor, be it 350, 385, or 405. Thats easily fixed.

Lets say this situation came up and this applies to a track situation.

2 cars, both with mildly build motors, cam, light head work, headers, cat back, intake. Both have roll bars, harnesses and seats.

1 is a Z06 and one is a FRC.

Is it just the suspension parts that are different? Are the weights the same?

I don't care what year the car is, just that its solid. I'd really like to find a car race ready as far as the basics, roll bar, seats, etc.

If its a FRC is it just a matter of adding the brake ducts, rear spring, and changing the shocks?

If the FRC is that much cheaper to support purchase of coil overs versus the Z06 would that be a better way to go?

I'm looking to go inexspensive since I'll be tracking the car more, running slicks, and stock brakes with the H pad whichi I've been very happy with.

Did the FRC's come with the MN12 or just the MN6?

Obviously I'm trying to do this on the cheap and pretty much bet I can undercut my current car by close to 250-300lbs. Its sound deadened, fully loaded, huge sub, amps, etc.

Plus the trunk looks more and more attractive every day especially for travelling.

I posted this hear because I'd like to hear people's opinions on the two cars at the track and what I should look for buying OEM and what would be cheaper to 'fix' aftermarket if I came across a great deal on a FRC over a Z06.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 01:27 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

If I were able to do a car right now I'd do an FRC. They had the MN6 trans, which in my opinion is the better track tranny as the ratios are closer. The M12 had lower gearing (higher numerical) 1st-3rd for better acceleration, but more of a drop between 3rd and 4th than the MN6. I'd do an FRC with either a 3.90 or 4.10 gear to make up the lower end, but still have the closer gear spacing for better up and downshifts between 3rd and 4th.

I'm not sure about the suspension questions, so I am listening for the answers as well.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:25 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The major difference outside the tranny is the weight advantage of the Z06, HP, wider supercar tires/lighter rims, higher temp brake pads. All things that we upgrade or replace anyway. The biggest is the gear ratio and the weight advantage. I think the Z06 was 100lbs lighter than a coupe with interior.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

100lbs lighter than the Coupe or the 99FRC?

I know the Z06 is lighter, just wondering if its lighter than the FRC, or body precursor to the Z06.

Brake pads, simple suspension parts, etc are not that big of a concern....those add upto less than 1K in parts and half a days work.

If the Z06 is 100lbs lighter than the FRC then thats something to think about.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Z06 for '02 was 3118 lbs
2000 FRC 3173
2000 Coupe 3246

Z06 had the Titanium exhaust, I'd guess that's where the major weight savings was over the FRC, not sure what else was different between FRC/z06 to make up the weight difference.

specs found here: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/index.html
Old 08-15-2006, 03:03 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rims/tires were lighter, the windshield was also thinner. You had to remember the Z06 did not come with runflats which made a big difference in weight. Again all things we change anyway.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
The rims/tires were lighter, the windshield was also thinner. You had to remember the Z06 did not come with runflats which made a big difference in weight. Again all things we change anyway.
for a track car that you are going to modify, the only thing you're giving up is the windshield.

If I were starting over and knew everything I knew now. I'd buy the cheapest, well used, 99 FRC that I could find, I mean barely running, on it's last leg, $15K tops, as long as it had a straight frame, and build it up from there. New engine, trans, diff, carbon fiber drive shaft, clutch, coil-over suspension, all the coolers, new seats, all the safety gear, a few ACP body panels, and a fresh coat of paint. I'd have a lot more car and less money invested in the car than I do now since I purchased a brand new coupe with all the options and have been slowly modifying it ever since. Such is life, live and learn.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:41 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Thanks guys.

Thats what I was thinking is going with a FRC since like you say, you'll replace everything anyways.

I think I could get 25-26 for my car and thats a reasonable price considering the work and workmanship.

If I could find a straight body/frame FRC maybe with a catback and some headers dirt cheap I bet I could make this work.

There is one right now for 18K with like 50K miles on it. 8K should be enough to get me where I want to be if I'm frugal and do things smart. Buy the heads used, I can get them freshened for free, well labor trade but thats free to me Buy a new cam, scrub wheels and tires, roll bar, harnesses, probably flip for some used coilovers, seats, used headers and a used catback, brake ducts, etc.

Think I could end up with a decent track/street car for 26K assuming 18 buys me the car?

I'm not scared of used parts especially if the coilovers are rebuild able in most cases.

Get notified of new replies

To FRC/Z06 compared to coupe

Quick Reply: FRC/Z06 compared to coupe