Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with TCS and ABS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:29 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with TCS and ABS

I just got home from the Pocono Raceway. A bunch of forum guys attended the Viper Day on the Long Course. It was a good day.

I have a problem with getting a "Service ABS " and "Service TCS" on the DTC. When this happens at speed the car seems to loose it's brake bias and the rear has a tendancy to come around. I am getting codes C1225 and C1226. I checked the wheel speed sensors and they were all connected. Any ideas ???
Old 08-17-2006, 08:37 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be the brake control module. If you have a 2001 it is probably your problem. Just a possibility, or sometimes the wire that connects to the wheel sensor goes bad. If you can get someone to plug a Tech II to your car it might isolate the problem. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default It's a 2002 ZO6

I have a Snap on Brick and the OTC scanner. I'm going to plug into in the morning. I hope it isolates .

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:48 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case you use them, stainless steel brake lines can also cause excessive wheel speed variation codes.

Do a search, something to do with electrical grounding and will cause intermittent problems that are impossible to isolate.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:54 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

I had a similar experience this past weekend at Road Atlanta with my 97. Different codes, but similar problem. Consensus is that it is the control module. my local dealer does not have the Tech 2 so I need to go to a different dealer. Lets keep comparing notes to find out what is going on. Will PM you.

Last edited by WNDOPDLR; 08-18-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to change out the brake control module at about 53k miles on a 2002, very glad for extended warranty.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:08 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I would change the wheel bearing on the corners setting the codes. EBTCM's can go bad, but I would change the wheel bearing first.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:38 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
In case you use them, stainless steel brake lines can also cause excessive wheel speed variation codes.

Do a search, something to do with electrical grounding and will cause intermittent problems that are impossible to isolate.
That was my problem!!!! There's a GM bulletin out about some SS lines and some vettes. I changed over to the Goodridge lines (from Earl's) and have had no problems. There's another thread on this forums about this topic.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default I hope I have it fixed.

I took the car to my shop.

I put street tires on it and hooked up an OTC scanner on data stream mode watching the activity of the speed sensors and ABS system. I went for a highway drive and finally ended up in my buddies parking lot doing some autocross style manuvers to finally get the system to act up the same way it has at the track. The code that I got was C1226 which the OTC scanner said was the speed sensor in the right front wheel. I replaced that hub bearing a few weeks ago. It must be bad. I replace it again. I'm heading to Pocono on Sunday. I hope that it takes care of the problem. I'll post Sunday evening.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See you there for another heavy dose of fun
Old 08-19-2006, 02:02 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default Looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by John Shiels
See you there for another heavy dose of fun
See you there !
Old 08-19-2006, 07:43 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GB'sZo6
I took the car to my shop.

I put street tires on it and hooked up an OTC scanner on data stream mode watching the activity of the speed sensors and ABS system. I went for a highway drive and finally ended up in my buddies parking lot doing some autocross style manuvers to finally get the system to act up the same way it has at the track. The code that I got was C1226 which the OTC scanner said was the speed sensor in the right front wheel. I replaced that hub bearing a few weeks ago. It must be bad. I replace it again. I'm heading to Pocono on Sunday. I hope that it takes care of the problem. I'll post Sunday evening.
It may not be the hub. If you have SS lines, replace the rear lines with the stock rubber lines and see if it works. If it does, then it's the SS lines. That's what I had to do back at the 03 runoffs.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with TCS and ABS

Quick Reply: Help with TCS and ABS