Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great day @ Pocono Long Course

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Great day @ Pocono Long Course

It was a great day at the Pocono Long Course yesterday.

It was nice to meet the Vette guys from the forum. You guys were kicking butt.

Next time I go, it will be with some sport cups.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:55 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great meeting you and everyone else. Snakes were sent packing Funny what 346 CI can do to 488 CI Too bad none of the GT-40's had slicks and good drivers. Wish some comp coupes were there also but none were. I left in one piece so now I can return Sunday with PDA How did the fan blade car make it home?

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-18-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I wanted to see the GT-40s run (really run). Beautiful cars. There were a lot of nice cars there yesterday, and good people.

My friend got home ok. He's taking it to the dealer today. Julio cleared my check engine light when I got home. It was an 02 sensor heater code. Out of range or something. Car drove home perfectly. I could have made the last run if I would have known. Didn't want to take the chance.

I'm itching to go back on Sunday....
Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

If I could pick any car in the world it would be a GT 40 Hope to see you there Sunday.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

I hear you. It's an amazing piece of engineering. If only it had a trunk, and if only I could afford one!

Do you think Sunday will be a heavy turnout or will we get lot's of track time?

I never got my instructor session yesterday. I have to get my $50 back from the organizer.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

PDA runs better than the Viper event. You will have plenty of track time Sunday. It has a trunk which would fit two womens big pocket books and that is it.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
PDA runs better than the Viper event. You will have plenty of track time Sunday. It has a trunk which would fit two womens big pocket books and that is it.
Cool. I'll probably go then. Are you an instructor John? I was very comfortable out there with the intermediates, but I want to get better.

I was disappointed I didn't get to go w/an instructor yesterday.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Not keen on sitting helpless in the drivers seat at 150 plus They ask me a few times but I have declined. Then I think about the liability issues . I really think lead follow is a good way also. You need to ramp up very slowly and forget about keeping up with others. Your car is to nice to even bury in some dirt slide. Follow on some warm up laps.

It doesn't happen but lead follow with some radio communication would be a great way to learn I think. You were zipping along very nice yesterday. The corners take time to build confidence in yourself and your car. Then it all becomes automatic motions.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-18-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Snuckley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford GT40 Heritage edition (blue/orange with the gumball) brings me to my knees. Forget a garage, I would have to build a living room around it so I could just stare and never be too far away. Looks like perfect weather out there today. I was all geared up to run yesterday and sat/sun but wednesday's appendectomy has me runnin on 7 cylinders. If I am not too sore Sunday and I can get a driver, I'll bring my bus up and chill with you guys in the AC.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Bob you can make it on 7 hope to see you. I'll take a GT-40 in primer not fussy at all.

Found a picture of my car from the event the yellow on the windshield was orange. Even the orage paint is fading fast. Splitter is yellow and near white in spots. They told me the pigment would fade fast in the decal and paint.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John,

Didn't realize your car was so radical! Too cool. Definitely have to connect with you at one of these track events. Join us up at Watkins Glen with the Ferrari Club over Labor Day weekend. Huge amount of track time, really fun event, great people.

Steve

Old 08-18-2006, 10:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

must be some neat Ferrari's up there. What shows up usually? May try for Glen in Sept PDA Labor Day would be nice also before it goes to 25 up there. Went there once and the car had ice on it in the morning after getting there at 3 am and getting back to the car @ 6 am
Old 08-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Not keen on sitting helpless in the drivers seat at 150 plus They ask me a few times but I have declined. Then I think about the liability issues . I really think lead follow is a good way also. You need to ramp up very slowly and forget about keeping up with others. Your car is to nice to even bury in some dirt slide. Follow on some warm up laps.

It doesn't happen but lead follow with some radio communication would be a great way to learn I think. You were zipping along very nice yesterday. The corners take time to build confidence in yourself and your car. Then it all becomes automatic motions.
LOL...I understand. I must have seen 4 cars spun out in the infield. It would be pretty unnerving being the helpless passenger. I can't even imagine it @ 150+.

Still want to go to Sunday. This hobby is expensive...and addicting. The worse possible combination.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:29 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am glad everyone went home safely and had fun. I'm looking forward to the 28th at NHIS. My problem with the GT40 (and others) is the weight. I just don't see where the 300+ pounds over my C6Z are. Must be the boat anchor blown motor. See what some racers have to say about 180 pounds extra! When I do the rear brakes I might be under 3000 empty.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

GT40s have oil cooling issues worse then vettes. They need oil coolers big time.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

one guy there I spoke to had all the coolers and Kenny Bell blower for 680 RWHP

Get notified of new replies

To Great day @ Pocono Long Course

Quick Reply: Great day @ Pocono Long Course