Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6 tire for C6 Z06 street/track..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hoosier R6 tire for C6 Z06 street/track..?

Hello,
I just picked up a set of HRE C20 in the stock C6 Z06 fitment (I already have the fenders/bumper for the C6 in my basement).

Andy @ AAcorvette had Roger Klouse Racing hand groove a pair of R6 DOT slicks and is running them on his street car and a customers.

How feasable would it be to do the same thing for 4 tires and run them full time on my C6 w/Z06 body package/wheels? I plan on maybe 2-4 track events a year, and probably 3k in mileage.

Any thoughts?? Any other/better options?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoosier specifically recommends AGAINST using the R6s on the street. This is a kick-butt TRACK RACING tire, not designed for the hazards you encounter on the street.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Hoosiers are NOT FOR street use period. Unless you want to change tires weekley.

Lets see I get 3-5 weekends. lets say 4 weekends out of a set of tires. 125 miles per day so 250 miles per weekend or 1000 miles and these tires are LONG PAST any traction and actully slippery and dangorious.

so NO not for steet use.

Dont be foolish, get two sets of wheels and carry or tow the second set to the track to use

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-21-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies guys. I used to run the BFG Drag Radials full time on my single turbo supra. I thought this would be a similar situation if I had the tires hand grooved.

Now I have to figure out some other options...
Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default Buy a truck and trailer !

:d :d
Old 08-21-2006, 04:43 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think normal tires are around tread wear 300? Hoosiers are what? 30? 20? Very bad economy there, and won't handle road hazards well at all.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GB'sZo6
:d :d
I would, but where would I keep it? 50x100 lot and one car garage.

ALL BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT A BIG YARD TO UPKEEP when I was home shopping 4 yrs ago! Now I regret it because of this new road racing hobby...

I may have to move into one of my investment properties w/2.5 acres. Then I could have the truck and trailer!

I'm not worried so much about the Hoosier tire wear (unless it's like 500 miles of easy street driving, just trying to make a workable situation. I know many people are using the Michelin Sport Cups as every day street tires, but they don't make the C6 Z06 sizes...
Old 08-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I think the best you can do for a streetable track tire is the Nitto NT555R2 or Toyo RA-1. or a little more track focused, Nitto NT-01 & Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
Old 08-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I think the best you can do for a streetable track tire is the Nitto NT555R2 or Toyo RA-1. or a little more track focused, Nitto NT-01 & Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
I wish...They widest they come in is 305 (Pilot Sport Cups). I'm tempted to try and fit it on a 12" wide wheel....
Old 08-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I own the white car you are referring to. This was meant as a solution for high HP cars. The idea actually originated from John at CCW. I just followed it through. We haven't said much because we are waiting to have a firmer grasp on tread life. So far it looks like (street) tread wear will be in the thousands of miles (as opposed to in the hundreds of miles that would be unacceptable). Andy says he is getting more grip than drag radials. Why I have no idea. However, track days are going to eat them up and then you will have nothing left for the street. On top of this you would not see as good of performance as you would with the slicks. This was never meant to be a street to be a street/track solution. We were looking for a street only tire for high HP cars where guys are using things like drag radials. In fact, I already have a set of CCW Corsairs fitted with Eagle race slicks for when I take my car to the track. If your not making 600RWHP or more these tires would probably not be worth the hassle for you.

All that said, I don't think Nittos are a good solution either. regardless of street miles, you might get 2 track days out of them and then you will have to replace them. Any way you look at it, the most economic solution is a dedicated set of wheels. Also, I have real experience with all the options mentioned here. Sometimes the utqg ratings and legal warnings don't tell the whole story.

Last edited by Blocktrdr; 08-21-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at the wear indicators on the Hoosiers and you will see they are shallow. They as I was told quote "There is 4/32" of rubber after they are gone" so 1/8" in my math No after that they are legal for what 500 miles and the two grooves are gone. Tickets or worse and accident and you have bald tires. I hit the puddle at Pocono yesterday at 30 mph with the Hoosiers and was side stepping fast. Hit a stone in the road and you may have a flat fast, they are light and thin. Granted they would be fun to run on the street
Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

To eliminate any confusion here is the tire we are referring to.

By grooved we mean a rain pattern. Not the two grooves running down the tire. The pattern runs a little deeper than 4/32s. The tires honestly dont look all that different than RII's in tred depth. I know Hoosier has the disclaimer that's all lawyered up about how you'll die in a fiery crash. It so happens that I cut a sidewall on my mercedes last week. My first flat this millenium. It went down instantly. Not sure how a Hoosier would have been any different. The only thing would have been that I could have just had someone bring me a race wheel with the Vette. With the Benz I was stranded (E55 no spare).

P.S. with the talk I have seen in the past about the delicacy of the Hoosiers on this board, and then the irony of me getting a blowout with a PS2 I checked the construction of a few of my tires on hand. The Hoosiers have the same ply contruction as PZero Corsa's (two of the tread plys being steel). The PS2's actually have one less ply on the tread than the other two. They all have one ply on the sidewall.

I will say it once more though. We are using these as a solution for extremely high HP cars to get some traction. That is the purpose. I don't see the point throwing them on any stock or mildly modified car. The two cars these are being used on are hitting the tires with over 750 rear wheel torque.

Last edited by Blocktrdr; 08-21-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

For what its worth, here is my real world experience running Hoosier GAC's on the street. First of all, I don't have a spare set of wheels and not much room in my garage even if I had had a spare set. My 94 LT1 is primarily a track car, but I drive it to the track because I don't have a trailer, truck, etc. My farthest journey is 150 miles one way. Here is what I have found out in the last two years. IT'S NO PROBLEM! I have hit pebbles, road debris, a dead raccoon, no punctures, its just like a normal tire. Tread wear of 30 means 300 street miles and the tires are worn out, this is a fallacy. Street miles are comparatively gentle, 1 track mile is probably equal to 50 street miles from a wear point of view. Some say that the heat cycles driving it on the street will destroy the tire. I just don't believe you wil heat cycle the tire on the street going from 80 deg to 100 deg. The tires just don't get that hot on the street, I consider a heat cycle getting above 160 deg, which is only possible on the track. In summation, I agree with everyone's opinion that dedicated wheels with track tires are the way to go and its impossible to drive these things in wet conditions but if that is what you have to do, it is workable; I have been doing it for two years.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Blocktrdr: I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Your car is gorgeous.
Can you elaborate more on your tire/tire ratings experiences?

Sidney: What are the GAC's comparable to? I couldn't find them on the Hoosier site.

Having a 2nd set of rims is not an option, as I need to be able to drive to the track, and I can't to spend another $4k plus on spare 18" rims aftermarket rims for the track only. If I'm missing other options, please tell me.

All that said, what would be the best tire to mount that would give the best of all worlds with these constraints? Michelins? I'm tempted to put a Mich Sport Cup 315 on the back, but it says
I wish I bought a bigger house w/yard. Then I would just buy an older car to track, or use the trailer option. No room.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

The GAC's are used scrubs that sell for $75 a piece. They are Grand Am Cup tires, but I don't believe they are available used any longer. I have no reference to compare them to any other Hoosier, but they were faster than Toyo RA1's. These were the most cost effective tire I have ever used.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say "hell no"

I have driven them around on the street and you will be picking up so many rocks and crap your paint will be sandblasted. Then, you are going to rely upon a tire on track driving 150+ mph that may have nails etc. in it?

I don't think you will wear the tires out per say, but they will harden and not be of much use on track. I know that many people drive to events on R tires (mainly autox) but I think you are pushing your luck if you drive to high speed events for many reasons.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:45 PM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by Stage7
Sidney: What are the GAC's comparable to? I couldn't find them on the Hoosier site.
https://www.hoosiertire.com/grandamc.htm

hoosier GAC's are similar to the DOT-R's (R6, s05's, etc) but they use a harder compound than the dot's (so they will last longer in the GAC races)...they will last longer than the dot-r's but are not as sticky/fast

its also worth noting that hoosier GAC's are NOT dot approved...

as to the original question, i would say NO and ask why would you run hoosiers on the street? what a waste of a tire... unless you are looking for that last little bit of time on the track (like in racing), i wouldnt buy hoosiers unless i got a great deal on takeoffs...

Last edited by dmwhite; 08-22-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Default I posted this in the Z06 forum yesterday.

I just hung up w/Michelin Customer Support.

He stated that stock fitment 325 30 19" C6 Z06 tires are in his system as "under development" for the Pilot Sport Cups!! He said, "They are in my system, that means we will be making them". He would not give me an ETA unfortunately.

Finally a road race/streetable tire in stock Z06 sizes!!

I can't wait...

Call them to show more interest, and hopefully they'll speed it up!

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier R6 tire for C6 Z06 street/track..?

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 tire for C6 Z06 street/track..?