Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some what newbie wheel, tire, size, brand??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Default some what newbie wheel, tire, size, brand??

First time taking the vette to a road course. Going to Sebring, I have raced the Panoz Esperante GT cars there on several occasions. Looking for some thoughts and suggestions on best tires, and sizes for my C6, that will use C5 ZO6 wheels (18x10.5 rear - 17X9.5 front) What would be the best size tires for such wheels. I don't think I have any clearence issues, Do I? What would be the best brand, Nitto, Hoosier, etc. Also, I live about 1 to 1-1/2 hours from the track. Is it practical to drive the car there, or should it be trailered. I have a Z-51 C6, I am going to change pads, probably Hawk HT-10 brake pads, and I will use motul 600 dot 4 barke fluid. I have a sa2005 rated helmet, do I NEED a race/fire suit, if not, does anyone use them for "weekend" track racing? Anything else I need, or should look at, Thanks

Last edited by 2HD's2vettes; 08-21-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're just tracking the car, aren't you? You're not racing?

Do you want a tire that you can drive to the track and then use it on the track or do you mind hauling wheels and tires and swapping them at the track?

The advantage of trailering the car is that you have a ride home if your car breaks at the track. Plus, you can do all the track mods to your car at home and you don't have drive your car back and forth to the track with race pads, slicks, etc..

Fire suits are always nice to have as well as the rest of the Nomex gear (underwear, gloves, shoes, etc..). It's also nice to have a race seat and HANS device. People drive in anything from full race attire to the bare minimum that the event requires. It just depends how safe you want to be and what your budget is.

First of all, I think we need to know if you meant racing.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2HD's2vettes
First time taking the vette to a road course. Going to Sebring, I have raced the Panoz Esperante GT cars there on several occasions. Looking for some thoughts and suggestions on best tires, and sizes for my C6, that will use C5 ZO6 wheels (18x10.5 rear - 17X9.5 front) What would be the best size tires for such wheels. I don't think I have any clearence issues, Do I? What would be the best brand, Nitto, Hoosier, etc. Also, I live about 1 to 1-1/2 hours from the track. Is it practical to drive the car there, or should it be trailered. I have a Z-51 C6, I am going to change pads, probably Hawk HT-10 brake pads, and I will use motul 600 dot 4 barke fluid. I have a sa2005 rated helmet, do I NEED a race/fire suit, if not, does anyone use them for "weekend" track racing? Anything else I need, or should look at, Thanks
If you're going to run the 17" front wheels, I believe you'll need to downgrade to non-Z51 brake rotors.... you'll probably want to do that anyway since the rockauto rotors are so much cheaper to replace. Gene @ FredBeans can hook you up with the right caliper brackets to make that work -- or you can search this forum for other C6 brake threads.

Personally, I'm nervous about C5 offset wheels on the C6 and damaging the bodywork...
Old 08-21-2006, 05:35 PM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
You're just tracking the car, aren't you? You're not racing?

Do you want a tire that you can drive to the track and then use it on the track or do you mind hauling wheels and tires and swapping them at the track?

The advantage of trailering the car is that you have a ride home if your car breaks at the track. Plus, you can do all the track mods to your car at home and you don't have drive your car back and forth to the track with race pads, slicks, etc..

Fire suits are always nice to have as well as the rest of the Nomex gear (underwear, gloves, shoes, etc..). It's also nice to have a race seat and HANS device. People drive in anything from full race attire to the bare minimum that the event requires. It just depends how safe you want to be and what your budget is.

First of all, I think we need to know if you meant racing.
Yes, tracking. not competative racing. I have always heard that the C5 ZO6 wheels would not be a problem on a C6, Am I wrong on this assumption? The C6 wheels are also offset. The difference would be about 1/4 inch on both inside and outside. I would "prefer" to drive the car to the track. Once home I can swap wheels, change fluids etc. How many of you drive the car to the track and not trailer it?

Get notified of new replies

To some what newbie wheel, tire, size, brand??

Quick Reply: some what newbie wheel, tire, size, brand??