Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air flow under car

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Robiwan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air flow under car

On a C5, does anybody know what the air flow is like under the car below the trans/diff area?
I was thinking of mounting a tranny cooler with a fan behind the diff, up under the cargo area?
Robi
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted my cooler in the RR of the car (where the muffler used to be)...no fan...and it apparently gets plenty of air, because I don't see that high trans temp warning any more.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:11 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I too have mine mounted this way, out of necessity and laziness. If you are using a fan, you'll be really good. By using a cooler, forced convection or not, you are supplying a pretty large surface area to dissipate heat, and it will cool some regardless.

In my old car, I had a fan that pulled the air up through the coolers, then force it out around the license plate area (not used in my case). This area is usually opened up anyway to let the "parachute" effect out that the rear bumper catches.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought Kerry Hitt mentioned that the muffler area is like a big parachute and catchs lots of air. Something about opening up the lic plate area too allow the air to escape and great for trans and diff coolers
Old 08-25-2006, 07:43 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So regardless of coolers being mounted. Removing the rear license plate and holder. This would help with aerodynamics to keep the tail end more stable at high speeds?

This would be a cheap and easy thing to do at the track.

I assume those two slits on each corner of the rear bumper are to let heat escape from the mufflers.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:25 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I thought Kerry Hitt mentioned that the muffler area is like a big parachute and catchs lots of air. Something about opening up the lic plate area too allow the air to escape and great for trans and diff coolers
Ya, but Kerry Hitt raced a midyear (C2), with NO instruments....just a blank out panel with these words:

"***** make the difference"
Old 08-26-2006, 08:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
So regardless of coolers being mounted. Removing the rear license plate and holder. This would help with aerodynamics to keep the tail end more stable at high speeds?

This would be a cheap and easy thing to do at the track.

I assume those two slits on each corner of the rear bumper are to let heat escape from the mufflers.

Removing the lic plate an putting opening ( under the plate) with a screeen in that area too alow air to excape. Then put the plate back on for DD use.

"***** make the difference"

Yah I have a hat and on the back it has the inscription

"BIGGER THEN MOST"
Old 08-26-2006, 09:34 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Don't put the cooler right behind the diff, that's where I had mine, and even at idle, with fluid pumping through the cooler, the trans temp would not drop.

There is a reason the diff and trans get hot, there is a ton of hot air from the engine bay passing through that area, both at speed, and sitting still. The muffler pockets, or at least further back closer to the license plate area is better.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:51 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

One thing regarding the heat under the car and placement of the coolers. I got some DEI header wrap. It feels like some kind of burlap treated with something. But it works.

I wet it down and wrapped my stock Z06 exhaust with it. From right behind the cats all the way down to the inlet to the TI mufflers. The nused their silicone paint to cover the material. Part reasoning was to help reduce the temps under the cabin area. The other reason was to help isolate the exhaust from the trans/diff area. Now that's just my theory.

But I have never had a trans overtemp warning. While I may not be as fast as you guys. I run 3rd gear hard in areas where some of you use 4th. So it's not like I don't wind it up some. I noticed since putting the wrap on the pipes that after a couple of events the polished tips at the end of the mufflers are now turning blue around the lip. So I would say I'm keeping more heat in the exhaust than before. Which in theory means less deflected heat from the pipes to the trans/diff where they are close. Like from behind the h-pipe and up and over the hump.

It is cheap insurance. I paid like $80 for the kit.

Graham

Get notified of new replies

To air flow under car

Quick Reply: air flow under car