Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coming out dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Wildcat1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out dipstick

Guess I have a blowby problem. I noticed it at an autox this w/e, so thought you guys that race like this may have better experience. Lots of oil spraying out the dipstick. What does this mean?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 PM
fmrfast
Racer

1-Possible PCV blocked
2-Engine on it s way out, blow by past the rings causing pressure in the crank case forcing oil out the easiest way, the dip stick.

Temp way to deal with it, buy an oil cap, drill a hole in the center of it, Insert a small pipe & epoxy the pipe into it. Run a rubber line from the dip stick tube to the new pipe in the oil cap, clamp it. I did this for 3 races on my 1989 L98 to get me through to the end of the season. When I disassembled my engine the rings came out in pieces.

The engine will be down on power because it is done, but this will get you through the next few events if you are trying to finish out a season.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Besides the hose between the d-stick and filler cap, does he want
another hose that runs from the filler cap to a catch can with a
breather?

As the blow-by worsens, it seems to me there can be a fair amount
of air movement.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Wildcat1
Racer

Thanks guys, how do I check the PCV valve?

I did notice it doing this many months ago at another autox, but haven't seen it since. This car is more of a daily driver for me. I put about 10k miles on it a year. I've put a hard 10k on it since I noticed the blowby at an event last year. This event was mainly very high rpm first gear and very low rpm 2nd gear. I'm out of practice something fierce, so I was bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st a lot. Oil was around 250 degrees, I tried to not let it get hotter than that. Oil pressure seemed low at idle, I'm guessing because of the heat.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Wildcat1
Racer

Did a search, will look into the PCV valve and ask questions later.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

• Remove the PCV from the valve cover while engine is running.
    Place a finger/thumb over the end (hot) to check that there is
    vacuum.
  • With engine stopped, shake PCV and listen for a rattle indicating
    that the check valve is free to move.
  • Remove the PCV from the hose and apply a small amount of pressure
    from the hose end. Don't use your mouth. Check that the PCV is
    sealing against backflow.
There might be other steps and/or methods.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Not to come off as a smart a$$ but START USING 2ND GEAR!

I watch people all of the time in my Corvette Club running events in 1st gear thinking that they are really hauling a$$ but they are in reality slowing themselves down. It is much harder to control a vette in 1st since you will be reving very quickly and the back end will be hard to keep underneath you. Even if your lugging at 2k in 2nd the torque will pull you through. I did the same thing when I started autocrossing and I can't believe how much faster I was when I started using 2nd. Now I've won 2 NCCC Midwest regional championships in a row. Slow down to go fast!

Just some friendly advice that helped me a bunch.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Not to come off as a smart a$$ but START USING 2ND GEAR!

I watch people all of the time in my Corvette Club running events in 1st gear thinking that they are really hauling a$$ but they are in reality slowing themselves down. It is much harder to control a vette in 1st since you will be reving very quickly and the back end will be hard to keep underneath you. Even if your lugging at 2k in 2nd the torque will pull you through. I did the same thing when I started autocrossing and I can't believe how much faster I was when I started using 2nd. Now I've won 2 NCCC Midwest regional championships in a row. Slow down to go fast!

Just some friendly advice that helped me a bunch.
Yeah Verily!!!!!

Unless it is a very short tight autocross course use 2nd gear as soon as you get a place to shift and do not shift back. Quicker times, easier on the engine and you will look so smooth.

Bill
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Wildcat1
Racer

Thanks for the advice, I'm just outta practice. I got 2nd overall, so I'm doing okay. The one 2nd place run netted no rev limiter. This course was the tightest one I've done, it definitely wasn't a vette club course.

So anyway, does the PCV valve just pull off? I tugged on it a little and it didn't wanna budge. What's the easiest way to remove it? Do I pull both ends off or just one side? Is the PCV valve on the left side?

Thanks Slalom.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil coming out dipstick

Quick Reply: Oil coming out dipstick