Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with Harness Bar in C4 by Arizona Speed and Marine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help needed with Harness Bar in C4 by Arizona Speed and Marine

I am looking for anyone who has installed the harness bar by Arizona Speed and Marine. I bought one used and have the instructions from the vendor but they are a bit lacking.

What do the two l bracket off the top of the "rollover" hoops mount to?
How do you keep the whole assembly from swinging back and forth once mounted? I have seen other vendors who use stablizers to the seat sides.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a little trouble installing mine. The directions didn't seem to make sense. I just called them directly. I spoke with a guy who was very helpful. We figured out I had the wrong instructions.

Give them a call. I'm sure they can answer your questions.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:35 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

I used to have one.

The brackets on the hoops mount using the rear removable top bolts (the same ones you remove to get the top off of the car). Those brackets are what keeps the bar from rotating backwards. the problem is it makes it kind of a pain to remove the top.

The side brackets mount behind the stock shoulder belt brackets using the stock bolt.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics left from when I had it on mine.

Hope that helps some!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, those top brackets mount to the two rear top mounts of your roof panel. You should have got longer bolts with your bar because the stock ones will be too short. If you didn't get some longer bolts, you can get some allen head or torx bit bolts from a hardware store that will work.
Either way, the bar should have come with the two bolts as that is how it shipped from the AS&M.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:36 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark's post was exactly right. On my AS&M bar I looked at those brackets and thought they were woefully undersized and wouldn't do anything anyways so I cut mine off and it made installation much easier.

I also felt that if the shoulder belts go up from bar at all then that would cause the bar to rotate up in an impact, putting those brackets in compression where they wouldn't do a thing.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-05-2006, 11:16 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses! These forums are always the best for even esoteric questions. The mounts to the top bolts make sense and with that tidbit of information the instructions even make sense. I bought this one second hand off of ebay (cost and shipping was less than $80) so the hardware did not come with it.

This should work just fine for the 2007 One lap of america!

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If I were you I wouldn't use that bar. I was one of the first adopters of the AS&M bar when it came out in the mid 90s. Those hoops that go to the top are supposed to keep the bar from rotating if you are forced forward in the harnesses. However, once you get it in and try pulling on it with your hand you will find how flimsy it is. In a crash up to 5000 lbs of force can be applied to the shoulder harness. If you can pull it forward with your hand how much more force do you think it will take to break the bar loose from the top and allow it to rotate so you fly forward? One person I know welded strips from the bottom of the bar down to the seat floor mounts to try and stiffen it.

When I called AS&M about the flimsiness of the bar they told me they just threw it together without any analysis and never tested the design. They said it worked well for autocrosses and had worked in a rollover crash during one of the Silver State Challenge events. Of course anything may have worked during a rollover if the bar wasn't stressed.

Set yourself up with a better engineered bar. There are plenty on the market. Don't risk your life on an $80 piece of crap.

At least you don't have the $380 into it that I had 12 years ago. Mine went with the car when I sold it in 1997 and I told the new owner the bar was for show only.

Bill
Old 09-10-2006, 11:57 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same bar in my '94. I cut the two top brackets off since they made it a real pain to remove the targa. I had the bar for looks only. It will do more harm than good in the event of a front end impact. It will rotate.

At least it's cool looking.

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed with Harness Bar in C4 by Arizona Speed and Marine

Quick Reply: Help needed with Harness Bar in C4 by Arizona Speed and Marine