Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel return to center- changing - HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:16 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default steering wheel return to center- changing - HELP !

long story...... but I am completly baffled.
The car is a C4. I run 10 HPDE days per year.
I had inner tie rods installed by a very reputable vette shop.
I get the car back & every thing is great. few events later, the steering wheel center line keeps changing after every turn. Meaning, if I turn left, the wheel would return to "center", but it would be a different center than if I turned right. The change in steering center is very noticable, especially while on the race track.

So I got under the car, and tightened down all 3 rack bolts, figuring the rack may be sliding back and forth, which would cause my problem. It seemed to help a little, but didn't solve the problem.
So I take the car back to the vette shop and have l poly rack bushings installed, figuring maybe the movement is the rack bushings. nope, still have the same problem.

Car also has a camber brace, so now I'm thinking that the camber brace may be pushing too hard on the other control arm tower, and the towers are flexing. (the point where the control arm bolts pass through). so I just pulled the camber brace out, and not much has changed.

I hope I'm explaining myself correctly... But I am baffled, and so is the vette shop. It's hard to imagine the rack sliding back and forth because bolt goes through directly through the rack, and through the frame....

any clues, as I don't know what else to do at this point. Nothing is loose, the car handles great, except this steering problem. What else affects steering wheel center line, that would change while driving ??
I also have a turn1 pump, but I can't see that affecting this. I am at the point where I have to consider doing something drastic, (like trading it in).
Hopefully someone can offer some assistance....
Old 09-03-2006, 07:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

C6Z the only help I can offer
Old 09-03-2006, 08:03 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something is loose.......Doesn't have to be tie/rods rack. Could be rear lower eccentrics, front upper lower control arms. Anything that can change alignment, including rear differential mountings and front suspension subframe.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:10 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

and your saying if something is loose in the rear, it will affect the front toe ??? at least intermittenly.....

I know for sure the rack is tight,
I know for sure the front upper control arms are tight.

I havn't checked the rear at all.
I can't imagine the front lower control arms loosening up, because they were never touched......
Old 09-03-2006, 08:59 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything that can create "thrust angle" can cause the steering wheel alignment to change . Rear tie rods, rear camber adjustment bolts, rear bushings, loose differential mounts, etc,etc...........Remember what an old Nova looks like "crabbing" down the road???? Look at all of the rear suspension components that were mentioned above. Dont forget rear inner tie rods.......or the rear tie rod mounting bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To steering wheel return to center- changing - HELP !

Quick Reply: steering wheel return to center- changing - HELP !