Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra Oil for Road Racing: 402

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Extra Oil for Road Racing: 402

I know you are supposed to add extra oil to to the engine before road racing. I was keeping about 1/2 qt extra before I blew my LS1 engine with 73K miles on it.

Now I have a new stroked 402 and thought I would ask if it makes any difference in how much oil extra should be run.

Appreciate any info as I am taking her out for first time this saturday at WSIR

DH
Old 09-07-2006, 05:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Unless your running an accu or dry sump, I would add a full quart extra.

and accu or dry sump would be better
Old 09-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Unless your running an accu or dry sump, I would add a full quart extra.

and accu or dry sump would be better
Thanks Tom

I know people add 1 full qt. but it always seemed too much to me .....maybe thats why I have a new engine

No sump for me so I will get a full qt in from now on. With my last engine I would add 1/2 qt then after a couple of sessions the level would be back to normal and I would add more. Do you keep it toped 1 full qt for the whole day and then drain it back to level when off the track?? Is it normal to consume extra oil???

DH
Old 09-07-2006, 06:27 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with my 02 Z is that it uses alot of oil at the track. I keep it one qt. high and check it after every session. I'll uses at least one qt. for 4 or 5 20 min runs.

I'm installing an accusump. Even a qt. high I don't trust oil starvation caused by high G cornering.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by danswofford
My experience with my 02 Z is that it uses alot of oil at the track. I keep it one qt. high and check it after every session. I'll uses at least one qt. for 4 or 5 20 min runs.

I'm installing an accusump. Even a qt. high I don't trust oil starvation caused by high G cornering.
I guess I should be doing this also. But I'm trying to recover from the $$$$$$$$$$ hit I took needing a new engine and tranny in the same month

How much is this to do ????

DH
Old 09-07-2006, 07:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

If your adding the accu-sump dont forget to add the oil cooler too.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

why the requirement for the cooler if you add the accu-sump
Old 09-08-2006, 07:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vstol
why the requirement for the cooler if you add the accu-sump

the accu-sump does two things:

1- prelubes the engine before you start it
2- keeps oil pressure up as in high speed corners when oil is pushed to one side of the block

Why an Oil cooler?

Over heated oil and oil starvation are the death of engine blocks

Oil can take high temps but the internal engine componates can not.

Oil temps must stay below 250-260*, this is where the oil cooler comes in, too keep the oil temps below 250*

Ideally a seperate oil cooler, one not in the radiator is best. Yes this has been debated adhock, however, keeping that oil temp down keeps the block cooler too.

If your worried about getting the oil hot enough and use the combo coolers, then your not driving hard enough.

Now this is for road racing / track days. Normal spritied driving would not need an oil cooler accu-sump combo

I have a 3qt Moroso located in the left front fender.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 09-08-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

I run 1 extra quart in all 3 when racing...............no issues here
Old 09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

For what it's worth, I seldomly run more than just the "full line" on the dip stick and have never run an accusump...and have never had any issue with any engine I've ever owned...and closing in on 60K track miles. Knock, knock

Maybe it's good luck or just easy on equipment, but I'm just not convinced it's necessary. I love the oil cooler especially if you're actually racing and have run one for several years. I like to keep the oil temps below about 250 too, although I've seen much higher for extended periods of time...with no issues.

I still think folks over-think these cars. They are just amazing right out of the box. Put some good tires and brakes on there and really learn how to drive it first. Once your skills surpass the stock car, then make some mods. Spend your money on schools first.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by wtknght1
For what it's worth, I seldomly run more than just the "full line" on the dip stick and have never run an accusump...

the "full Line / top Line" on the dipstick is 1/2 quart over. I read that the middle of the dipstick is the actual full "area". I know GM is crazy
Old 09-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Oil temps must stay below 250-260*, this is where the oil cooler comes in, too keep the oil temps below 250*

If your worried about getting the oil hot enough and use the combo coolers, then your not driving hard enough.

Now this is for road racing / track days. Normal spritied driving would not need an oil cooler accu-sump combo

I must not be running it hard enuf then! My stock 01 hasn't seen oil temp's above 250, at any of the HDPE's I've run.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

1- prelubes the engine before you start it
2- keeps oil pressure up as in high speed corners when oil is pushed to one side of the block

Why an Oil cooler?

Over heated oil and oil starvation are the death of engine blocks

Oil can take high temps but the internal engine componates can not.

Ideally a seperate oil cooler, one not in the radiator is best. Yes this has been debated adhock, however, keeping that oil temp down keeps the block cooler too.

I have a 3qt Moroso located in the left front fender.

I really should do this ..... I like the prelube ability also !!!

So how much to install one ???

I do have the EOC in my Dewitts ...... hopefully I won't get to far above 260 ..... will see tomarrow at WSIR

DH
Old 09-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
the "full Line / top Line" on the dipstick is 1/2 quart over. I read that the middle of the dipstick is the actual full "area". I know GM is crazy
Oh man ..... don't confuse me

I thought the full line was the FULL LINE !!!!!

I really want to put the RIGHT amount of oil in there tomarrow .... so can anyone else please advise on this

DH
Old 09-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Oh man ..... don't confuse me

I thought the full line was the FULL LINE !!!!!

I really want to put the RIGHT amount of oil in there tomarrow .... so can anyone else please advise on this

DH
If you put in 6.5 quarts it will go to the middle of the lines (this is why some people say there car takes 7 quarts because they think it is the top line).

The easy way to do it is change your oil before you get there. Add 7.5 quarts of oil and you are set. Then see where that is on the dipstick and keep it at that level.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Armycop
I must not be running it hard enuf then! My stock 01 hasn't seen oil temp's above 250, at any of the HDPE's I've run.
If you don't have a cooler on there and are not seeing temps higher than 250, then you are most likely not running it hard enough. I shift around 6200-6800 (my computer has been tuned to run on 100 octane and a rev limit of 7200). Some guys like to run the car all the way up to max revs, but I don't think that's any faster and is definitely harder on the car.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by wtknght1
If you don't have a cooler on there and are not seeing temps higher than 250, then you are most likely not running it hard enough. I shift around 6200-6800 (my computer has been tuned to run on 100 octane and a rev limit of 7200). Some guys like to run the car all the way up to max revs, but I don't think that's any faster and is definitely harder on the car.

My rev limit is 6800, but I have my shift light set for 6200. Sometimes I hold it a bit longer when the light goes on, but most of the time the shift aare on or before the light goes on...

Get notified of new replies

To Extra Oil for Road Racing: 402

Old 09-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
If you put in 6.5 quarts it will go to the middle of the lines (this is why some people say there car takes 7 quarts because they think it is the top line).

The easy way to do it is change your oil before you get there. Add 7.5 quarts of oil and you are set. Then see where that is on the dipstick and keep it at that level.

I have always watched my oil changes and when 6.5 qts are added it come to the full line. My car is a 2004 .... any chance this ideosynchracy was corrected??

If you are correct I have ALWAYS run my car 1/2 qt high and 1 full qt at the track....

DH
Old 09-08-2006, 04:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I would guess with oil cooler your looking at 7 1/2 quarts with cooler and lines.

add an accu-sump and it is 10 1/2 quarts. However, I can only drain out 9 - 9 1/4 so that is what i put back in.

I run 15-W 50 from March to Dec, 0-w40 in Feb. Looking at Q state 5-w50- numbers look good but can not seem to find it.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I run the DRM/Ron Davis oil cooler in the radiator. The radiator is efficient and really drops the coolant temp from the hot side to the cool side where the oil cooler is located. Without a thermostatic bypass valve it is hard to keep the oil temp high enough for normal street use. On the track it kept the oil temp around 230 before I put in the bypass valve since then it is around 250. Before I put the cooler in I was hitting oil temps around 319. I always put in 7 qts of oil before the cooler and never had a problem. With the cooler and a remote oil filter and all of the plumbing the capacity is now 8 qts and then I add the extra quart to get 9. Just finished 4 track days at Watkins Glen and had to add about a half quart to keep the level up to 1 quart over.
Bill

Quick Reply: Extra Oil for Road Racing: 402