Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Sears Point 9/10 Sept, Gp 3 in transition

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 10:04 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default NASA Sears Point 9/10 Sept, Gp 3 in transition

Well, something new in the NASA Gp 3 at Sears Point this weekend, if you want into Gp 3 you either run both days or Sat. only. No admission for Sun. only since the plan is to start Sun. off where Sat. finishes with open passing. Seems they have found that too many are going into Gp 4 without enough open passing and other skills they want in TT. So, Sat. starts with two sessions devoted to drills, first side by side lapping so everyone is forced off line to get the feel for what it takes to adjust your speed if forced there during TT, etc. Then a full session of driving off the line, entries from the short side of the track and exits pinched off from the apex to see what it takes to control the car when you aren't at full speed. Also, as noted to show you what you are doing to the other guy when you force some one into the marbles. Can't say I'm a fan of the drills but they were interesting and did point out a few new things. We then got a session to work on passing under braking and that was where I had to bail so I missed the last session, open track. Tomorrow is 4 open track sessions if all went well after my exit.
Other things of note, Dave, C5 Z06 from bay area was there with buddy from LA C5 Z06, Mike an instructor was there in a C6 Z06 with full race slicks and there were a few Vettes in Gp 1/2 that I never tracked down, except for Larry who was parked close. There were a couple C4's, one with a full race setup so Vettes were well represented in the upper end of the HPDE run groups. I was amazed when the Gp 4 folks went out with instructors and I counted 63 cars on track, I thought 40-45 was a lot.
Randy
Old 09-10-2006, 05:14 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a very interesting format. Maybe they should sweep dirt onto the racing line to practice what its like driving over it at speed with 63 cars on the track at the same time. I hope you have a great time. What is your next event Randy? I am going to Thill on Oct. 18th with the Phil Holmes group, Infinion with Trackmasters in November and Dec. 9th at Thill with HOD.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:29 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I would like to see some of your representative Corvette times at Sears Point if anyone would like to post them.

Thanks,
Old 09-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best I have done is a 1:58.2. I have not been at an event that was timed at Infinion in over a year. 94 LT1 with R compound tires, 280 RWHP.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:50 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Well, there was no TT and I didn't time all weekend so except for a few comments from hand timers in the pits nothing official. The two C5 Z06s running in front of me were going in the 1.58's for Dave on F1 stock tires. Doug wasn't as fast (same set up) and in the third session today I was with him for about 6 laps until we got separated by traffic and I didn't want to push to see if I could then catch him, I had been pushing pretty hard to just stay close. My best prior was 2.00.8. My guess would be 2.01's or so.
The open track went well today but even with the mild temps in the 70's I had too much sun and bailed on the last session. Up until then every one stayed shiny side up and pretty controlled. At the front of Gp 3 we had the 3 vettes then an Evo with large wing that passed all of us, and a 911 Turbo 4wd that would blow by me when he caught up, he didn't make too much effort to start from the front as the other 4 of us were doing. Since before G3 got you passing on the straights both days until the last session in the past, getting 5 open track sessions with worked out pretty well for most. I did miss 2 sessions but that was my own fault, love running in the winter. I'm sure many got bumped up to run in Gp 4 but G3 with that many open passing sessions works for me until I get some stuff done that will get me closer to the TTB mod limits. And, running with 63 cars on track doesn't look good. Now, I understand that the TT will be a separate session from G4 in the future, or so I heard.
Randy

Sidney, 3 days BW 9/29 - 10/1, then not sure ...

BTW, two guys from Atlanta flew in and were running Hertz Shelby GT500's of which SFO seems to have 18, I'm guessing they were flying on mileage credits so probably not too expensive.

Last edited by StArrow68; 09-10-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:57 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sidney004
The best I have done is a 1:58.2. I have not been at an event that was timed at Infinion in over a year. 94 LT1 with R compound tires, 280 RWHP.
Sidney & StArrow, thanks so much for posting. That's exactly the kind of information I am trying to compile. My own best race lap is in that same range (1:58XX). I'm just trying to gain information for reference to the C5 Z06 times.

Thanks,
Old 09-11-2006, 12:05 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

63Corvette, have you tried:
http://www.speedventures.net/track_records_db.asp
Scroll down to the Sears Point and click on the header for SP
which brings up their top 5 times in each class. SV has changed
their classing twice in the past 3 years and not been to SP for
some time so not sure if the classing is up to date. It shows,
John Wurth in his T1 Z06 at 1.51's and I remember running with
Richard B in a very well set up Z06 with after market suspension
and he ran under 1.53.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:15 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Nope, I hadn't heard of that. But thanks for posting cause it's a great link.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Sears Point 9/10 Sept, Gp 3 in transition

Quick Reply: NASA Sears Point 9/10 Sept, Gp 3 in transition