Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake ducts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:34 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake ducts

Do the rear brake ducts on a C5Z work? Without a scoop on the outside it does not seem like much airflow would enter the duct. Then the duct just dumps lamely into the wheel well.

Does anyone fabricate and install a good duct system with spindle plates like the fronts?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:50 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

OK I'll let the T1 guys answer this one, but looking at the photos of heavy braking on the net, I would say that REAR brake cooling is NOT a major issue on the Z06 Corvette..........Comment?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:23 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is easier to runs ducts and tubes to the rear as the wheel doesn't turn. You can pick up air under the car somewhere with a NACA duct if you want. They rears are not going to get as hot.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
OK I'll let the T1 guys answer this one, but looking at the photos of heavy braking on the net, I would say that REAR brake cooling is NOT a major issue on the Z06 Corvette..........Comment?
those ducts are an aerodynamic hinderance. The rear brakes dont get heated as much as the fronts.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:27 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put a LGM/SL-4 caliper in the back and a 13" front rotor. If you are using it as track olny that is another option. Should last a long time in the rear with the same thick Wilwood pad as the front.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:50 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

The rear ducts are functional. But, as stated, the rear doesn't do that much work so they don't get that hot to begin with. You'd most likely be wasting your time fooling with further ducting back there. Concentrate your efforts on the front, which will pay off.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:10 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

i agree that the rears dont do much, but i am amazed how much they do-do (?) . coming from the superbike camp i raced as much as i could for 3 years and never touched my back brake. but was shocked how the pads wore on my c4 lots of wear just slightly less than my fronts. agreed the was no discoloration like on the fronts, but they must of been doing somthing to wear like that..
Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 PM
danswofford
Pro

I melted the dust boots on my rears. So they get hot. I'm just wondering why we don't make the brake duct go right to the rotor like we do with the fronts. And if I do that it seems like I should make a little scoop at the rocker opening to divert some air into the duct.

I'm thinking the way it is air might actually be sucked out of the brake duct. The air rushing by the duct opening would create a low pressure area.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:51 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may not be scientific, completely, but...

I am running a 99 FRC and a ZO6 at the same tracks at the same time and the rear brakes on the FRC are hotter after a session (no AH on either car on). The pads are currently different (ZO6 on FRC and XP8s on the ZO6) and the bias is still as set from the factory as far as I can tell. The FRC does have the DRM ducts in the front - which should have little impact on the heat in the rears as compared to the ZO6 rears...

It is enough for me to "consider"the ZO6 ducts on the FRC when I get some bodywork done on the car in the future.....and NASA charges zero points for brake ducting....

Get notified of new replies

To Rear brake ducts

Quick Reply: Rear brake ducts