Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The race cars of tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:17 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The race cars of tomorrow

http://www.racingpress.com/publish/tjcot091206.shtml
Old 09-15-2006, 02:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

I watched the San Jose Grand Prix on Speed TV and they said the new Panoz DP01 is built to the highest crash standards of any open-wheel race car in the world.

A good article on the new Panoz.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/32509/
Old 09-15-2006, 07:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Hope they gain at least seven teams this year. Cost are way down which will make it afordable to more teams and sponsors. I like the look of them.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was one of the downfalls in NASCAR IMO.

Faced with the choice of turning Chevrolet down and risking the possible loss of General Motors' significant investment in the sport or capitulating to GM in the spirit of parity, NASCAR made a landmark decision. The Monte Carlo's rear decklid and spoiler, they said, would be allowed to be widened by several inches... in other words, it would not follow stock dimensions. Not even Pandora could have imagined the effect this decision would have on the sport. After the Monte Carlo dominated the 1997 season, Ford Motor Company decided to submit a new car to replace their aging Thunderbird -- the four-door Taurus sedan. The droopy-shaped street version of the Taurus was in no way, shape, or form suited for a stock car campaign. That did not deter Ford, however, who pointed to the precedent of the Monte Carlo as evidence that a stock car no longer needed to be based on stock silhouettes. Thus, the Taurus rolled out for the 1998 season, based more on a NASCAR silhouette than its own street counterpart. The Monte Carlo and Taurus dominated the 1998 season and it was apparent that a major shift in manufacturer policy had occurred.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I think that it's a good move for Champ Car. Champ Car is basically a spec series right now with the Lola chassis, so I think that this is going to be an improvement with the cheaper chassis. Plus, it's going to have paddle shifters, so it will not only be nicer to drive, but it's going to differentiate it more from the IRL cars. Also, if the aerodynamic package actually works and allows more on track passing opportunities, I think it will be a hit.

Love the rear wing on the car of tomorrow. It looks like something that you'd find on a riced out Civic.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I think that it's a good move for Champ Car. Champ Car is basically a spec series right now with the Lola chassis, so I think that this is going to be an improvement with the cheaper chassis. Plus, it's going to have paddle shifters, so it will not only be nicer to drive, but it's going to differentiate it more from the IRL cars. Also, if the aerodynamic package actually works and allows more on track passing opportunities, I think it will be a hit.

Love the rear wing on the car of tomorrow. It looks like something that you'd find on a riced out Civic.

fit right on the Toyotas
Old 09-15-2006, 09:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

fit right on the Toyotas
Old 09-15-2006, 10:18 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
fit right on the Toyotas
I wonder what the good ole' boys think of it though having it on the back of a Monte Carlo or the two door Taurus.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:54 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

isn't it the ford fusion?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:55 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by micro
isn't it the ford fusion?
You're right. I forgot that they changed to the Fusion from the Taurass. Like you can tell what it is anyway. The only way that I know it's a Ford is from the Ford logos and the headlight stickers.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:58 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Another homogenization of the series - bringing it to another lowest common denominator. I don't watch that crap any longer. I would much rather watch the NASCAR of the late 60's and early 70's when Richard Petty, Curtis Turner, Cale Yarborough, etc. ran real cars in a not over regulated "run what ya brung" series. That was real racing. The garbage they show today is orchestrated for TV audiences with late cautions and other artificially inserted goodies to "tighten up the field" for a good viewer finish.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be interesting to see how long the manufacturers stick around once the car of tommrrow is in and looks nothing like the car they want to sell you today. Win on Sunday, what were we doing on Monday again...?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:45 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Another homogenization of the series - bringing it to another lowest common denominator. I don't watch that crap any longer. I would much rather watch the NASCAR of the late 60's and early 70's when Richard Petty, Curtis Turner, Cale Yarborough, etc. ran real cars in a not over regulated "run what ya brung" series. That was real racing. The garbage they show today is orchestrated for TV audiences with late cautions and other artificially inserted goodies to "tighten up the field" for a good viewer finish.
It's not even going to be fun watching the road courses any longer. Just watch the DP's instead. It's the same kind of racing except it's on road courses and now that the COT is basically the same kind of car (a little less aero than the DP is all), what's the difference?

I wish that Trans Am would go back to its roots as well. For me, Speed World Challenge is what Trans Am should be. I think that's what ultimately killed the series.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:49 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by parkerracing
It will be interesting to see how long the manufacturers stick around once the car of tommrrow is in and looks nothing like the car they want to sell you today. Win on Sunday, what were we doing on Monday again...?
Probably not long especially since GM and Ford are currently having major problems.

I'm willing to bet that it's either going to be Honda and Toyota duking it out in the next few years (without Ford, Dodge and GM) or it will become a Toyota spec engine series.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Probably not long especially since GM and Ford are currently having major problems.

I'm willing to bet that it's either going to be Honda and Toyota duking it out in the next few years (without Ford, Dodge and GM) or it will become a Toyota spec engine series.

They have been threating for years about pulling out because the cars are all the same. Rumor is one is leaving after the present contract runs out with NASCAR.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:04 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

It's not even going to be fun watching the road courses any longer. Just watch the DP's instead. It's the same kind of racing except it's on road courses and now that the COT is basically the same kind of car (a little less aero than the DP is all), what's the difference?

I wish that Trans Am would go back to its roots as well. For me, Speed World Challenge is what Trans Am should be. I think that's what ultimately killed the series.
The Trans-Am Series needs to have production Challengers, Camaros, and Mustangs when/if it (it as in the Trans-Am Series) comes back for 2009. Spec tires, roll cages, and a few other stuff is all that should be allowed. Perhaps two classes would be needed (sports cars and pony cars).

Get notified of new replies

To The race cars of tomorrow

Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by micro
The Trans-Am Series needs to have production Challengers, Camaros, and Mustangs when/if it (it as in the Trans-Am Series) comes back for 2009. Spec tires, roll cages, and a few other stuff is all that should be allowed. Perhaps two classes would be needed (sports cars and pony cars).
Definitely! Hopefully they will resurrect a series like this when the new Camaro and the Challenger come back.

I was just watching something on Speed today about the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird. They were saying that part of the reason why Bill France outlawed them was because they were getting away from the stock cars in appearance. Even though the manufacturers had to make 500 of them for the street in 1969 and in 1970, they had to make about 2,000 production cars. How many two door, rwd, carbureted V8 Taurus' have you seen on the road?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:28 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
They have been threating for years about pulling out because the cars are all the same. Rumor is one is leaving after the present contract runs out with NASCAR.
Dr. Z was on tv at the Pepsi 400 earlier this year saying that Dodge will stay with NASCAR. He's the guy who killed the Viper racing program.

more pics of the CoT

http://www.racingone.com/gallery.aspx?ssid=862

Last edited by micro; 09-18-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Definitely! Hopefully they will resurrect a series like this when the new Camaro and the Challenger come back.

I was just watching something on Speed today about the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird. They were saying that part of the reason why Bill France outlawed them was because they were getting away from the stock cars in appearance. Even though the manufacturers had to make 500 of them for the street in 1969 and in 1970, they had to make about 2,000 production cars. How many two door, rwd, carbureted V8 Taurus' have you seen on the road?

they were destroying everything else is why they were banned.

Quick Reply: The race cars of tomorrow