Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping after DE weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 06:59 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tapping after DE weekend

I have a 2000 C5. I was at the Cresson, TX MSR DE event. The car ran fine all weekend. However, a hollow metallic tapping occurred when I started the car to take it off the trailer at home Sunday evening. A few days later I took the car to my local mechanic and the tapping disappeared.

He suspects it was a collapsed lifter.

Has this happened to others? Anything I should look for or actions I should take to avoid future damage?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John
Old 09-16-2006, 10:03 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD60
I have a 2000 C5. I was at the Cresson, TX MSR DE event. The car ran fine all weekend. However, a hollow metallic tapping occurred when I started the car to take it off the trailer at home Sunday evening. A few days later I took the car to my local mechanic and the tapping disappeared.

He suspects it was a collapsed lifter.

Has this happened to others? Anything I should look for or actions I should take to avoid future damage?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John
Without actually hearing it myself I would say this is a good possibility. How many miles, how hard did you run it, miss any shifts? Those can all help us evaluate better. FWIW when I had my 99 SS Camaro, I developed a "bad" lifter after about 49K miles and many DE's, but it didn't happen until I grabbed 1st instead of 3rd at Summit Point. It would come and go, but it was much more audible when the oil was hot, such as after running hard. I never yanked the heads to replace them, did a cam swap to a larger cam, and they still never failed. It was on borrowed time though, I would never do that again!

Joe
Old 09-17-2006, 07:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a minor tapping sound. Turned out that the cross over air sensor tube between the headers had a small leak, that sounded like the tapping.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:11 AM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thank you!

Thanks you both for your replies.

I did miss a shift at the previous event which is probably where it started. The car was also run hard and then parked directly on the trailer after the last session. I normally let it cool down at idle for a few minutes before shutting it off.

I'll keep an eye (and ear) in it and see where it goes from here.

John
Old 09-17-2006, 11:37 AM
mallett435
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the same problem as AU N EGL. I have LG headers and the cross over air tube broke and it sounded like I blew the motor. Probably nothing major for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Tapping after DE weekend

Quick Reply: Tapping after DE weekend