Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Qual Lap - Aug 06 - Fastest T1 Lap ever: 2:05.26

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:25 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VIR Qual Lap - Aug 06 - Fastest T1 Lap ever: 2:05.26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVES715qL0w

I've been asked by several folks for examples of my videos that I sell on TrackTapes.com. I've downloaded a fairly low res video (about 9Mbs) of my qualifying lap at VIR this past August.

Unfortunately for me, my first lap was balked by traffic, so this one was my best of the session. It was hot - in the 90s, so I'm sure that a 2:03 (at least) is possible there during cool weather and with sticker tires. Enjoy!!

And, as always, you know where you can get the full DVD.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:34 PM
ace996
Pro

Very nice...looks like a great track and great job drivin'!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:45 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

NICE driving! Out of curiosity, do you know what speed you carry through 9?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:50 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now why the heck couldn't I get those 4 heat cycle GSCS's to do that????

Joe
Old 09-17-2006, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

frick'n flying Chris.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Very Cool! I can't remember the last time I was at the track and ran without any traffic in the way. Must be fun!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:49 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by freefall
NICE driving! Out of curiosity, do you know what speed you carry through 9?
If by 9 you are talking about the fast left hander (aka Stevie Wonder...aka South Bend)...actually turn 10, ...I'm in 4th gear, but I don't have a data acq device in my car, but I'm sure it's well over 100. It's a scream!!!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:53 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sully C5
Very Cool! I can't remember the last time I was at the track and ran without any traffic in the way. Must be fun!
Qualifying is all about getting a clean lap...and a clear course. On occasion, I'll wait 10-15 minutes into the qual session before I go out for my run. The positive side is that most of the guys have already done their qual lap and there's not much traffic. The down side is that occasionally, there will be a wreck (like my first lap) or oil on track, etc and it may not work out for you. Both Butch (crew chief) and I were beginning to sweat a little on this run due to the vehicles off track during the 10 minute mark. Luckily I was able to get a good lap in and put it on pole.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:04 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wtknght1
If by 9 you are talking about the fast left hander (aka Stevie Wonder...aka South Bend)...actually turn 10, ...I'm in 4th gear, but I don't have a data acq device in my car, but I'm sure it's well over 100. It's a scream!!!!!
I love the Esses there! Starting back at T5 all the way up through T10. It is a scream for sure!

One other question on your turn selection. I have a biatch of a time with T1. I just don't seem to hit it and ever feel really good about it. I noticed in your video, for lack of a better term, you pinch the inside of T1 quite a bit and don't track all the way left. Or it appears that way in the video. Is that correct? I just can't figure out the best line through that darned turn.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

nope - not 10, 9 - last right in the esses...I always get nervous there - not enought throttle and the rear gets light, too much and there's a wall or your line gets messed up for 10. you take paypal for the dvd's?

Old 09-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

FreeFall, Until you mentioned that wall, I hadn't even thought about it. I had to go back and look at some of my footage... I Know I used to carry over 125mph through 7/8/9 and would be at over 100mph going into 10. I wouldn't give T9 a second thought... Keep on the gas to keep the rear planted and stay off the curbing.

Mike
Old 09-17-2006, 10:02 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I love the Esses there! Starting back at T5 all the way up through T10. It is a scream for sure!

One other question on your turn selection. I have a biatch of a time with T1. I just don't seem to hit it and ever feel really good about it. I noticed in your video, for lack of a better term, you pinch the inside of T1 quite a bit and don't track all the way left. Or it appears that way in the video. Is that correct? I just can't figure out the best line through that darned turn.
Yeah, I found that going way out wide is not any faster and screws up the faster turns 2 and 3. I just take a fairly late apex and apply as much throttle as possible without buring up the rear tires. If you go way out there, you'll get into the marbles/crud and just slip and slide. It's a slow corner so treat it that way. If nothing else, just get on the gas as soon as possible and get back to the right to get a good entry into 2 and subsequently 3.

Check out http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/VA/VIR.html#HotLap
for my "hot lap" write up. That should also help you out. Good luck!!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:11 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by freefall
nope - not 10, 9 - last right in the esses...I always get nervous there - not enought throttle and the rear gets light, too much and there's a wall or your line gets messed up for 10. you take paypal for the dvd's?
I do take Paypal...to my email address: wtknght1@aol.com

Turn 9 is also a 4th gear corner...nearly flat out. The key to the esses is to have a nice smooth throttle thru them...and not get the car out of shape. I've found it's easier to have a car that's neutral or pushes slightly thru there as opposed to one that's loose. Loose thru the esses will get you in big trouble.

A big 'secret' to doing the esses right is keeping your head and eyes up and LOOK WHERE YOU WANT THE CAR TO GO. If you look at that wall, guess where you'll be going. Aim for the apex of 9 and take it as fast as possible...then get the car straight for maximum braking into 10. Turn 9 is faster than 10, so you can sacrifice a little entry position in 10 to get a faster run thru and out of 9 if you have to. The idea with 10 is to ensure the car is stable and straight on entry. If your entry position is a foot or two off from perfect, but you screamed thru 9, then the lap will still be a good one! Don't beat yourself up too much...it takes lots and lots of practice to get those combinations right...keep at it!!!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I found that going way out wide is not any faster and screws up the faster turns 2 and 3. I just take a fairly late apex and apply as much throttle as possible without buring up the rear tires. If you go way out there, you'll get into the marbles/crud and just slip and slide. It's a slow corner so treat it that way. If nothing else, just get on the gas as soon as possible and get back to the right to get a good entry into 2 and subsequently 3.

Check out http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/VA/VIR.html#HotLap
for my "hot lap" write up. That should also help you out. Good luck!!
I'll give that a try on T1 next Monday since I'll be on full course for the day.

I'll also try your idea on T9 to T10. I found the faster I went into T9 then when you get to the short flat section at the top of the hill. I come onto almost mid track. Then do a brake tap and setup for T10. But it makes T10 slow because I'm in the middle instead of over on the right gator. I figured T10 was that faster turn... It sure is a fun though.

Graham
Old 09-19-2006, 01:43 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I'll give that a try on T1 next Monday since I'll be on full course for the day.

I'll also try your idea on T9 to T10. I found the faster I went into T9 then when you get to the short flat section at the top of the hill. I come onto almost mid track. Then do a brake tap and setup for T10. But it makes T10 slow because I'm in the middle instead of over on the right gator. I figured T10 was that faster turn... It sure is a fun though.
Graham
Try also to take a bit later apex in 9. That should allow you to get closer to the right side of the track for 10. As you get faster thru the esses, it's really easy to either anticipate the corner or speed up your movements inside the car - i.e. early apexing. You can be early at 9, but at the sacrifice of 10.

Get thru 8 in good shape (on the left side of the track) and if you do that, then the late apex at 9 and a good entry at 10 should be right in line. If you can't hit your marks thru this section for 5 straight laps, then you're probably a bit over your head. Back off your speed just a little and get your consistency back. Once you can nail those turns, increase your speed thru there...gradually!!!!!

The key to all those and the entire set of esses is being on a nice smooth throttle thru them. If you coast or hit your brakes, you will be all out of shape and headed toward the trees. The throttle keeps the suspension planted and the car stable. I love VIR!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell?? he he
Old 09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Get thru 8 in good shape (on the left side of the track) and if you do that, then the late apex at 9 and a good entry at 10 should be right in line. If you can't hit your marks thru this section for 5 straight laps, then you're probably a bit over your head. Back off your speed just a little and get your consistency back. Once you can nail those turns, increase your speed thru there...gradually!!!!!

Really good point Chris
Old 09-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Really good point Chris
Tom, I still have the vidio that you made following me around VIR. I think you said that you used that vidio to help convince the Museum folks to put on their first HPDE. We were running the same lines as Chris is running in this vidio, but he's about 10 sec faster per lap.

Chris, that was a super lap. Extremely smooth in all the right ways. Hope to see you at the Car Guys event Oct 14, 15.

Jim Helm

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Qual Lap - Aug 06 - Fastest T1 Lap ever: 2:05.26

Old 09-19-2006, 03:48 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet!

Now was that with AH/TC on or off?

Thanks for posting!
Old 09-19-2006, 04:39 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yellow01
Sweet!
Now was that with AH/TC on or off?
Thanks for posting!
HA! I'll give you one guess jester. he he
Old 09-19-2006, 10:11 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Try also to take a bit later apex in 9. That should allow you to get closer to the right side of the track for 10. As you get faster thru the esses, it's really easy to either anticipate the corner or speed up your movements inside the car - i.e. early apexing. You can be early at 9, but at the sacrifice of 10.

The key to all those and the entire set of esses is being on a nice smooth throttle thru them. If you coast or hit your brakes, you will be all out of shape and headed toward the trees. The throttle keeps the suspension planted and the car stable. I love VIR!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell?? he he
Cool. 2 things to work on. I'm now at my learning limit for the moment

I'll practice T1 and the uphill esses all day Monday. If I can get anyone of them right 5 laps in a row I'll be thrilled!!

Thanks Chris.

Quick Reply: VIR Qual Lap - Aug 06 - Fastest T1 Lap ever: 2:05.26