Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do 2004 ZO6 brakes differ from 98 C5 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How do 2004 ZO6 brakes differ from 98 C5 brakes?

After my car crudded out on me yesterday a freind of mine let me finish my runs in his 04 ZO6.

His brakes are MUCH better than mine... Like so much better I littterally found myseld stopped on course Before I got to the turn.

I run autozone purchased PFZ pads. And I have front brake calipers on the rear (and on front).

So what is making the big difference?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's his setup?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by freefall
What's his setup?
Stock 2004 ZO6.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:52 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different ABS and electronic brake bias control (and cornering brake control too I think). Also pad compound was more aggressive. That's about it, the calipers, rotors, and master cylinder are all the same.

Also, in many cases, a car with a soft suspension (like a stock Z) and shocks will brake harder, because the slow weight transfer to the front won't set the ABS into ice mode like a stiff suspension will.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Bluegrass glass
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red5
Stock 2004 ZO6.
Nope, He also has VBP stiff springs front and back.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BPC5R
Different ABS and electronic brake bias control (and cornering brake control too I think). Also pad compound was more aggressive. That's about it, the calipers, rotors, and master cylinder are all the same.

Also, in many cases, a car with a soft suspension (like a stock Z) and shocks will brake harder, because the slow weight transfer to the front won't set the ABS into ice mode like a stiff suspension will.

I meant he has stock brakes.

Should I be running stock zo6 brake compound pads?

Also, is there any way I could upgrade to the different ABS/biase control?
I just couldn't believe how much better his brakes were than mine.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:36 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

What kind of tires are you and your friend running? There shouldn't be that much of a difference in braking.

The stock Z06 pads are definitely no slouch. I think that they are better than a lot of street/track compounds that you find on the market like the Hawk HPS. I remember running the stock pads at the track with just a fluid change and they weren't bad at all.

The stock Z06 pads get a bad rep because the waxers don't like that they dust up their wheels.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by xsiveone
What kind of tires are you and your friend running? There shouldn't be that much of a difference in braking.

The stock Z06 pads are definitely no slouch. I think that they are better than a lot of street/track compounds that you find on the market like the Hawk HPS. I remember running the stock pads at the track with just a fluid change and they weren't bad at all.

The stock Z06 pads get a bad rep because the waxers don't like that they dust up their wheels.

We both run 710s. He has 315/335 staggered and I run 315s all the way around.

I'm talking about a BIG difference in braking.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

We both run 710s. He has 315/335 staggered and I run 315s all the way around.

I'm talking about a BIG difference in braking.
Me scratches my head because there shouldn't be a BIG difference if you're both running the same tires. Have you tried different pads on your car? "Autozone" PFC pads sound a little sketchy to me.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

After my car crudded out on me yesterday a freind of mine let me finish my runs in his 04 ZO6.

His brakes are MUCH better than mine... Like so much better I littterally found myseld stopped on course Before I got to the turn.

I run autozone purchased PFZ pads. And I have front brake calipers on the rear (and on front).

So what is making the big difference?
Autozone PFC pads ARE NOT THE RACING COMPOUND brakes...they are just street brakes. You can run them on the rear, but certainly not the front. The stock Z06 brakes are infinitely better than those from Autozone.

If you (or anyone) wants a set of stock Z brakes, I have a set off of my car that only had about 500 street miles so they are basically brand new - $200 for the full set! If you want even more performance, call Chris, Dan or Matt at Carbotech and upgrade to the XP series of pads. XP10s on front is a good starting point. You'll be able to brake very, very well then!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

"Autozone" PFC pads sound a little sketchy to me.
He's referring to the PFC Z-rated pads, which are much, MUCH better than the PFC OE replacements.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
He's referring to the PFC Z-rated pads, which are much, MUCH better than the PFC OE replacements.

Have a good one,
Mike
Thanks Mike,
My head is consummed with thoughts of replacing transmissions today... I run the PFC-Z pads that you can buy at autozone..
Old 09-18-2006, 04:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure why nobody is mentioning this, so maybe I'm way out in left field, but won't the front calipers on the rear change the bias significantly potentially making the braking worse rather than better?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Not sure why nobody is mentioning this, so maybe I'm way out in left field, but won't the front calipers on the rear change the bias significantly potentially making the braking worse rather than better?

You increased the piston size / volume in the rear with the front calipers. So now you now need more volume in the master which you don't have so your brakes are spongy and the bias is off. JMHO His brakes probably feel like old time power brakes compared to yours.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

And I have front brake calipers on the rear (and on front)
Put your OEM rear calipers back on...........Z06 pads on all 4 corners with Good fluid & rotors and it will be the same as the Z.
OEM master cyl?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I didn't think about that. I don't know why you need front calipers on the rear when you're running stock calipers up front. Like others have said, you may be overpowering the braking system if you're running the OE master cylinder and that could be taking away from the efficiency of the front brakes which do most of the stopping for you anyway.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:52 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

I don't know why you need front calipers on the rear when you're running stock calipers up front. Like others have said, you may be overpowering the braking system if you're running the OE master cylinder and that could be taking away from the efficiency of the front brakes which do most of the stopping for you anyway.
oh, oh, oh, oh, I know why. Because though it may feel a bit mushy, RAFT's stop fast, and rotate well!

Get notified of new replies

To How do 2004 ZO6 brakes differ from 98 C5 brakes?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aquaman
oh, oh, oh, oh, I know why. Because though it may feel a bit mushy, RAFT's stop fast, and rotate well!

oh oh oh soooo true.

OK guys let's just forget saying that its because the fronts are in the rear. Cause when I switched the fronts to the rear the car stopped a LOT better.

What does it mean to Glaze (sp) your brakes? And how does one "un-glaze" ones brakes if the formentioned had in fact occured.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:50 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

For the glaze, replace the rotors and pads. For more braking power, replace the pads - Wilwoods (H) are pricey, but they are very powerful (high cf). I changed to the H compound from a street type compound (E) and it was night and day.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me scratches my head because there shouldn't be a BIG difference if you're both running the same tires. Have you tried different pads on your car? "Autozone" PFC pads sound a little sketchy to me.
I bought my PFC-Z front pads at Autozone before a HPDE - didn't have time to order others. I replaced brake fluid with ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid. I did not have any problems with brake fade. Outside temps were around 100 degrees. The Goodyear run flats and my auto transmission fluid had more problems than the brakes did.

Quick Reply: How do 2004 ZO6 brakes differ from 98 C5 brakes?